1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you attack this Mongols capital?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Buccaneer, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

Next up on my conquest are the Mongols and their fortified capital at the head of a narrow ismuth. I have 8 promoted Crossbows plus 4 Trebuchets coming down the coast (slowly) and I would need advice on how you would go about attacking these cities? I love trying to solve placement puzzles like this (my favorite thing about Civ5) but this one has me stumped, esp. without a navy (Frigates are a looong ways off).

Attached Files:

2. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

I don't see where your empire is on the map. If you are south/east of him, you can take him with Xmen, sure. If you're located to the north/west, frigates and artilleries seem the only option.

3. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

Why are you trying to attack the mongols through a chokepoint during the age of Keshiks?

4. OldmansHQ

OldmansHQ Chieftain

Why is the screenshot cropped in such way? It is impossible to see the mini-map, please zoom out a little and make another screenshot with the mini-map. I am very interested to see the outcome of this debate.

If you have the advantage, how about pillaging every single tile, lock down this area and let it rot until Keshiks are out of date?

After hundreds of hours of 'creating history' I honestly have no idea how the siege mechanics work in CiV. It is hard to predict whether the city will starve, because AI gets freaking bonuses to everything.

5. msawchuk

msawchuk Chieftain

I'm assuming that you are north of the mongols. If you are south, it will be easy. Also, what map type is this?
    The best choice, if possible, is to use frigates with a couple of crossbows/trebuchets as support. Use frigates everywhere in the ocean, and have crossbows/trebuchets use the little land near his city. With enough frigates, it will go down, but be ready to switch out injured ones. This will be especially useful if this is continents/archipelago.
    Most importantly of all:
    Why is that scout fortified on the water as if it were land?

6. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

Some answers (sorry for the ambiguity).

Yes, I am to the north/northwest. Moscow is in the center of that landmass and I worked my way to the east coast in capturing Stockholm.

The map, believe it or not, is Pangaea (small) but 3 millions years instead of 4.

I am attacking now because I do have the advantage in size and quality, and this is a domination game. It is almost like a Continents map in that I needed to gain a foothold on the second landmass.

I just researched Physics and upgraded to Trebechuts but Astronomy is 20 turns away (at most), then it's Navigation (that's where Frigates are, right?) much longer than that.

Don't worry about the scouts, I had to put them there temporarily so I could show more of the Mongols cities beyond what the embassy showed to make this thread more meaningful.

I was stumped because I couldn't see a way to land without getting decimated, esp. the Trebs and a 42-defense capital. I think the advice about Frigates (and Artillery) is good albeit delaying quite a bit. Perhaps the only other option is to cross the ismuth and swing around (after Astronomy) and see if there are landing spots on the south coast (if there is one)?

7. sufficiency

sufficiency Chieftain

Is this a naval assault? Without naval units it seems impossible.

8. kirbdog

kirbdog Chieftain

If that marsh tile is still neutral by the time you take Hsia, then you can use it to fire on Karakorum with Trebs the same turn they enter the range of the same city. You can also use the ivory to fire with Crossbows in the same turn they enter the range of the city. You can expect to lose some units that don't survive the return fire and so can't rotate out, but if you don't mind that, the city's health will eventually fall down so that it can be taken with a horseman. (You might lose fewer units if you used a GG for a citadel, for building more roads, defense advantage inside the citadel, and increased healing advantage.)

File this one under "so crazy it just might work." :)

9. Maxym

Maxym Chieftain

If you have two range double tap XB you are fine. Put pike on marsh first, pillage the road, on turn the war starts fortify in jungle south fo hsia. Put two range XB on hills 3 tiles north, drop a damaged melee with double cover on hill plantation to west of hsia with a worker to repair it. And treb next to city, plus one more melee next to city. You will heed to do it from the water and land at once, make sure you dont trigger his are you here to kill me question. Unles you did already with someone else and then I think it doesnt matter you can lie again. That should get you hsia in two turns without a chance of Genghis reinforcing. Then plant a GG on elephants next to his cap and you are in the clear.

10. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Um, ask that Russian Scout who's magically floating on water if he's Jesus in disguise. He might help. Otherwise I can't really give any advice without seeing a full screenshot for stuff like beakers minimap etc :/

11. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

It wouldn't do much good showing more since that's pretty much all I could see of that landmass even with the floating scouts I explained earlier.

12. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Chieftain

This is obviously intentional. Part of the puzzle? :cowboy:

13. OldmansHQ

OldmansHQ Chieftain

Well, I might not be an expert on siege tactics etcetera, but I know one thing for sure - before you send any soldiers into the 'great unknown' with unpleasant intentions - scout. That is the foremost condition for any sort of invasion or strike. You must scout! What is the point in making a grand plan when you have no idea what is beyond the Mongolian doorstep? Scout the south-east, scout baby!

14. Light Cleric

I know why the Scouts are there. Didn't make it any less amusing.

Well I meant so we could gauge how the rest of your situation is going. What alternatives would there be besides pushing to Gehngis? How long might it take to Chemistry(which would make this much more stomachable)? Do you actually have Iron for Frigates? If so, do you have the gold to upgrade to them?

This is where attaching a save comes in handy. :)

If you're insistent on attacking the Mongols, I can see two options based on this information.

1) Follow this high-quality diagram:
    Spoiler :

OR
    2)If you do have Iron, push to Navigation, pop it with Oxford, and then spam him with Frigates.

15. OldmansHQ

OldmansHQ Chieftain

Would it not be easier to take over Beshbalik by sea, as in transport troops across the water and approach Karakorum from south? Beshbalik should be easier (or at least faster) to conquer than Hsia, and Karakorum will be easier to conquer from south rather than north.

Beshbalik seems like the weakest point, that is why I think it would be best make it the first target. Then Hsia, from the north. That would give the troops solid foothold and as good surround on Karakorum, as good as it can get.

16. Light Cleric

The problem is we have no idea what's down south of those through the fog of war. There could be a crapload more Mongol cities and units, and the terrain could be much worse. I'm just going by what I can see. :p If you're talking about using Galleases, you could take them both with the same amount of effort, I'd imagine.

17. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

So galeasses can work instead of waiting to frigates?

I know the importance of scouting but this map confused me as I couldn't go through or around the ismuth.

18. OldmansHQ

OldmansHQ Chieftain

I was not thinking about military ships, what I meant was forcing your was across the sea on a transport boat to the enemy shore (Operation Overlord).

As you have probably noticed I am only learning English language. I have to ask you about the "ismuth" should it not be "isthmus"? I use every opportunity to expand my lexis.
    There has to be a way around it, the map is cylindrical, if not buy open borders. The whole point of this thread is to plan and consider every step, what we are doing now is gambling...

19. OldmansHQ

OldmansHQ Chieftain

I did not mean to double post. Sorry!

EDIT: Ismuth sounds way better, and it is easier to pronounce :p. Thou hast my forgiveness, mortal >_>...

20. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

You are correct, it should be isthmus. My apologies for the confusion.