How would you react if a family member was gay?

How would react if a family member was gay?

• Total voters
ComradeDavo said:
I didn't say they directly told you, I just meant that they were gay in general. In other words, you are indifferent.
Yep, put me down as indifferent. I dont care about it any more than Id care about how my aunt and uncle get their rocks off behind closed doors.

nonconformist said:
I don't know why you assume he's particularly gay.

I read in a newspaper a while back (The Independent probably) about how Asexuality was a proper sexuality, as much as homosexuality or heterosexuality.
Well it's hard to explain on a forum board but you just know he's gay, in the same way that you just know certain other people are gay. I hear what you say there though, and I've read similar stuff.

anarres said:
MobBoss will either shy away from the thread or come in full guns blazing saying he would convince his erward child the sins of their ways. ;)

I'll say it here too - Lay off MobBoss; you and I may disagree with his position, but he has argued with as much intelligence, respect, and restraint as you could ask for, given how many people here oppose his viewpoint.

Lambert Simnel said:
"erward child" ? What the hell's one of those ?
Sorry, brain fart! I meant "wayward" of course. ;)

(FWIW Erward is close to Eoward, a word used a lot in the book I am reading atm... brain fart, like I said. :))

Igloo: Point taken, but not for the reason you say (I would not persoanlly call his arguments "respectful"...).

It would really depend on which relative it was. The less closely I knew them, the less apt I would be to care ("Your father's uncles sister's brother's cousin's former roomate is gay!" "Er... who?") While if it were one with whom I'm a good friend it could be rather odd. It would be less of a reaction if the relative were female, since she wouldn't have even the vaguest considderation of me, and we'd now have the common ground of appreciating a good pair of breasts. ;)

Meh, I wouldn't mind. Might be a bit weird at first, but I wouldn't mind.

Why should I? After all...

For those who selected option number two, your situation reminds me of an SNL skit called Homocil™ (Google it ;))

Cast:
Dad #1: Will Ferrell
Mom: Ana Gasteyer
Dad #2: Chris Parnell
Dad #3: Tracy Morgan

Transcript
[ Dad #1 shown near curtains in the style of anti-depression informericial ]
Announcer: Do you suffer from inexplicable anxiety?
Are you confused and upset?
Do you have an overwhelming feeling that you've done something wrong?

[ dissolve into flashback of Boy #1 twirling a baton in an empty gym ]
Boy #1: Hi, Dad! This is called a Double Susie!
[ Dad #1 shown blowing into paper bag being examined by doctor ]
Announcer: You can't control whatever he is or isn't. But you can control how it affects you. Homocil can provide relief for parental anxiety disorder. Homocil can help.

[ show Boy #2 running effeminately with a volleyball at a school gym ]
Boy #2: Hi, Mommy!
[ Mom waves back weakly, her eyes to the floor in shame ]

Announcer: If you're obsessed about things you can't change... If you are unable to cope with unforeseen developments...
[ Dad #2 opens Boy #3's bedroom, to find his son holding up a sparkly tank top ]
Boy #3: Look what I made! Isn't it faaaaabulous!
[ Dad #2 closes door and breaks down in a sobbing mess in the hallway ]

Announcer: If you avoid prolonged contact with your children, due to these overwhelming anxieties...
[ Boy #4 enters living room wearing apron, holding out a platter of food ]
Boy #4: Who wants crème brûlée?
[ Dad #3 grabs the bottle of Homocil pills and chugs down a mouthful. He chases the pills with a bottle of Budweiser.]

Announcer: When taken regularly, Homocil dramatically decreases parental anxiety.
[ shows other boys playing basketball; cuts to Boy #4 performing as a male cheerleader amongst female cheerleaders ]
[ cut to Dad in the crowd smiling painfully and near-catatonic, giving a forced thumbs-up to his kid ]

Announcer: Homocil. Until you come around.
[ show Mom hugging Boy #2 ]
Because it's your problem. Not theirs.

I certainly would be more understanding that most of the older members of my family, I can tell you.

I seriously doubt that anyone in my family is gay, but if, then you should knwo by now how I would react to that. I would not disown that person since they are family, but I will tell them that I am not happy about their desicion, I did this when a friend of mine told me that he is gay.

Rambuchan said:
Well it's hard to explain on a forum board but you just know he's gay, in the same way that you just know certain other people are gay. I hear what you say there though, and I've read similar stuff.
I understand.

Desmond Morris (I seem to be using him a lot...) wrote a bit saying that we pick up subconcious behaviousrs and tics from a group we spend a lot of time in,a nd identify with-which partially explains the "limp-wristed" stereotype.
Though I think that a few may exaggerate it.

El_Machinae said:
Classical: How long ago was that? How did the 'coming out of the closest' affect your friendship?
It was almost ten years ago. When he first told me, I was shocked. He does know where I am coming from and he respects that. It really did not affect the relationship too much because at that stage our friendship was actually starting to slide since we finished school. The only contact with him is through my brother, and I know that he is not gay because his friend (considering what it is now) knows that he prefers womens and that he told him that he should go to Eastern Europe to chekc out the hot women over there, since he was on holiday for a few months going around the world.

Yeah, it's tough to determine how things affected old friendships, because (like you've said) friendship can slide for a variety of reasons.

I will tell them that I am not happy about their desicion, I did this when a friend of mine told me that he is gay.

It is'nt exactly a choice. If you can't contro, getting an erection when you see naked women then I doubt homosexuals can control getting an erection when they see naked men...

I don't really think it would affect our relationship whatsoever, nomore than someone telling me they are Buddhist or not a natural blonde.

it wouldnt affect my relationship with the said person, but it would make me sad.

because there are so many weak minded hateful people out there, who have nothing better to do with their lives other than making other peoples lives as bad as their own.

sometimes their victims are from a certain race. sometimes a religion. and sometimes its gay people.

Top Bottom