1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you react if a family member was gay?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ComradeDavo, Feb 16, 2006.

?

How would react if a family member was gay?

1. It would not effect my relationship with them

69.8%
  2. I would be unhappy but keep it to myself

10.4%
  3. I would be unhappy with them, and tell them so

11.5%
  4. I would disown them

3.1%
  5. I am gay myself so..../other

5.2%
  1. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic

I wouldn't care one way or the other, even if he/she isn't part of the family, just a person i know. Either way, it would not affect our relationship in any significant way.

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I have discussed this with my wife since we do have three kids. We would politely tell our child that we disagree with their choice, but we would still love them and our house would certainly remain open to them. We would not disown them or anything like that, and we certainly wouldnt beat them over the head about it continuously either.....once our feelings were understood the topic would most likely be dropped unless the kid wants to bring it up again.

As for other relatives outside my home, they would still be welcome to visit, but I doubt we would get into an active discussion about it, unless of course, they wanted to put it out on the table. My wife has a gay cousin and the entire family, minus us, basically disowned him. He was still welcome in our house though and we were about the only relatives he would have anything to do with.

Thats the irony here. People think I hate gay people, but in reality, I am a lot more tolerant than the rest of my southern redneck democrat family is. The rest of our family has basically disowned us for the simple fact we dont see things they way they do, and thus, are just as disowned as the gay cousin.

3. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    Homosexual behavior is against my religion. If a family member told me that they were gay, I would remind them that I think their choice is wrong, then I would explain that I still love them, that it is not my job to judge them, and that I am there for them if they need it. Although I wouldn't do anything that actively encourages their homosexuality (I won't set them up with other gay people I know for example), I won't let it hurt my relationship with them, and I won't really try to change them.

4. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

wouldnt really bother me except if it was say one of my parents, as this would disrupt family life.

5. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

Wouldn't affect me at all. And besides the only possible person in my family that could be gay is my sister. And her saying she's gay wouldn't startle me either.

6. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Probably not by much. Unless it were my folks. Then I'd be somewhat concerned and wouldn't want them to leave the family just because they're gay or anything.

However if it were my kids, I probably wouldn't care much anyway either. As long as they still bear at least one biological child.

7. Chobo

Chobo Chieftain

I won't be either happy or unhappy, and I would keep it to myself.

8. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Produce grandchildren!

:whipped:

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

other (now everyone's going to think I'm gay :lol: ).

It would affect my relationship with them, but not in a bad way, it would just be different.

I hope my children turn out straight but I will certainly love and accept them no matter what.

If my girlfriend leaves me for a chick I might be a little depressed though. :(

But I think she's pretty into me. :)

10. Chobo

Chobo Chieftain

:)
    I'm having the same opinion (yeye that you're gay :lol:)

11. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

You didn't include a choice for 'possibility quite enthusiastic'. Case in point, if your sister was a lesbian could she hook you up with some of her bi-sexual friends? :yup:

Please forgive my twisted mind. :hammer2:

12. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

Hmm I would first find out how many people knew outside of the family, and silence those. Secondly I would take him out back and make him disappear, cement shoes will help. :p

I would be understanding but a bit wierded out. So numeral two

13. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I don't really like my family, so I guess it won't be helping things much.

14. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Chieftain

For future reference, the verb is "affect" and the noun is "effect".

I alreday have two homosexual relatives (twin brother and aunt), so it wouldn't affect me at all.

15. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Hahaha :lol: Well I was raised in an Asian culture.

16. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

My father is gay. Hasn't negatively influenced my relationship with him.

Despite his intentions to raise me right, I turned out straight. Hope he is ok with it.

17. North King

North King blech

Well, I do know a family member who is gay. And it hasn't changed my opinion at all.

18. Global Nexus

Global Nexus Terran Confederate

I wouldn't react, except possibly to say "okay, that's nice". I just plain don't care about someone else's sexual preferences. What's the point of caring about someone else's preferences? It seems like a big waste of time, to me.

19. elfangor801

elfangor801 So cold....

Haha, you all say these things but it might be different when it happens....I did noooot in anyway way shape or form expect the crap that I got. Just because you have gay friends or whatever, doesn't mean you'll be particularly forgiving when a family member comes out. There was a nice handy four month period back about a year ago when the only thing keeping me going were non-family members.....

20. MjM

MjM Chieftain

I have a gay cousin. He is a tad uhh, weird. And professes his gayity. So it isnt terribly good...