1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Howdy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Schaefer_Aspyr, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

Yep, pretty much.

2. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Aspyr does own the rights to publish Mac ports of the Civ series.

3. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

I'm so happy that Aspyr will developing Civ V :goodjob:

I'm so happy that would could have a real 50 civs "Windows.dll" or or "Mac .dll" (name on mac ? Datalib ? Datalyb ? or other ?)

I would love playing Xyth mod with these 50 Civs of the History Rewritten...

Utopia dream here

:goodjob:

4. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

Not true

5. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

Hey now, if my activity is to be continued here, twisting what I've said will force me to leave. These open lines of communication are built on trust. Not only trust from myself to the community, but a reciprocated trust from the community to myself. Aspyr trusts me to not spread rumors regarding past, current or future products. I want to squash this comment right now by saying that I never, not in one post, said anything of the sorts. Stuff like this spreads like wild fire, please be respectful of my wishes so that I may continue to provide you with Mac Civ support.

6. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Huh, odd then that Aspyr is interested in supporting Civ4 + expansions. Not that anyone here will complain. Odd in that very few Mac publishers extend a game's support beyond initial bugs discovered upon release. It cost :gold: and I assume contract negotiations account very little for patches and upgrades. There have been those, like Brad Oliver (now at Feral Interactive), who invested personal time to bring Mac versions to patch parity.

7. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Don't worry, that was a translation error I think. We have quite a few people in this forum that have English as a second language :)

I understand the position on all things modding, and I'm pleased to hear that you've noted our feedback and the importance of it to the community here. Ignoring mod support for the moment, is a patch to fix outstanding bugs such as broken antilaliasing and PBEM+locked assets a possibility? I believe both these bugs have been around since the release of Civ4.

8. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

I'll bring this up tomorrow. What would be really beneficial, is if I could get a list of issues that you guys are seeing (Sorry, I'm out of the QA game and not familiar with any issues) that way I can have something in hand to show them immediately, which will make the case more credible. Does this sound like something that could happen? Also, I could just bring up those issues you just mentioned and see where we get. Hopefully I can make something happen for everyone.

And no worries about the verbiage. I understand, just had to make that clear to the public. :)

9. coffee junkie

coffee junkie Tech Hippie

Wow, I can't believe I always agree with someone today :lol:

Don't worry Schaefer_Aspyr. We are few there who doesn't understand/speak/write english as well as we would. That's only minor misunderstood.

10. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Okay, here's a list of all the bugs/glitches/oversights I'm aware of or found reference to on these forums. All of these occur in BTS 3.19.

• On many systems if antialiasing is set to anything higher than 0 it will cause graphical corruption of the game, especially leaderheads.
    • It is not possible to open PBEM saves that have an admin password set. See this thread for more details.
    • The game will crash if it cannot find an unit art define (e.g. ART_DEF_UNIT_EGYPTIAN_ARCHER) instead of displaying an error like it does for other missing tags.
    • Sometimes the game will slow and audio.log will fill with entries similar to:
      Code:
      "[292820.847] WRN: FAudioManager::EndOf2DSampleCallback(): SoundId 0 could not be found."
      At the same time OSX's Console app will be spammed with messages similar to these:
      Code:
      "21/04/10 12:49:16 PM	kernel	IOAudioStream[0x6cd3400]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (153e,2c8a)->(1541,526).
      Code:
      21/04/10 12:49:16 PM	kernel	IOAudioStream[0x6cd3400]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (1540,2c8a)
    • The xml parser throws errors when it encounters certain non-standard ASCII characters (especially hyphens, apostrophes and quotes) that work fine on the PC version. This causes such xml files not to be loaded.
    • Mac BTS has Python 2.3.x, Windows BTS has Python 2.4.x. This causes some mapscripts to fail.
    • A hotkey to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode without relaunching the game would be fantastic.
    • All versions of Civ4 seem to only use a single CPU core on dual core systems
    • In the bundled version of Rhye's and Fall, the AI autoplay fails to work properly on all Civs except Babylon, Egypt, India and China. This thread has more information.

If anyone can think of anything else I'll add it to the list.

11. Frederico

Frederico Chieftain

• When joining a new multiplayer game the PC players get a warning about me running a mod. The PC host will then usually kick me out. Very annoying.

12. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

Still workin on this guys. I'll have an answer for you.

13. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Sorry if i was into misunderstanding :blush:

14. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

Not just the autoplay; several unique powers are broken, as are the free buildings that later-starting civs get on founding cities. Also, it's 1.185 to the PC version's 1.186; that update included some significant gameplay changes.

I've posted an unofficial fix here, at least for the parts that can be dealt with in Python and XML. A detailed list of the bugs involved is in the readme.

15. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

No update yet guys. Things are pretty busy over here, but I haven't forgotten about you guys ;-)

16. iamliberal

iamliberal Chieftain

Welcome Shaefer to the community! I'm glad to have an Aspyr rep to participate in our forums. Glad someone pointed out a lot of people in here speak English as a second language, so just keep that in mind if you read something that sounds overly critical or wrong. I've been in these forums casually for several years now, and I have to say the Civ Mac players are quite friendly :D

I've bought every game of Civ since Civ 1 on my old Commodore Amiga computer, then PC versions, and Mac versions. Overall, it seemed like Aspyr's port of Civ 4 was released sooner after PC release than the previous company's port of Civ 3, and Aspyr's re-porting of Civ3 was more stable. BUT, I sure would like releases sooner and patches/fixes more frequently. There's nothing worse than having known bugs left unfixed/patched for long periods of time.

I have no idea what relations are like between Aspyr and Firaxis, but it would be awesome if Aspyr could participate in or have some sort of liaison with Firaxis during Civ 5 development to help tweak things along the way to make it port easier in the future.

17. ancestral

ancestral Chieftain

My friend is planning on buying Civ IV for his brand new MacBook Pro. Given that the new MBP's have NVIDIA chips, shall we expect full compatibility with the 320M or 330M? Have you Aspyr folks gotten a chance to test it with the new machines?

18. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

We'll see what the future holds!

19. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

For inquiries such as this, I would contact our support center support.aspyr.com

I don't want to get in to normal CS discussions as this is in direct conflict with company policy. Tech Support will be able to answer your question no problem, and if they give you any gruff, tell em Schaefer sent you! Lol, just kidding :) they'll be friendly and helpful. :crazyeye:

20. Schaefer_Aspyr

Schaefer_Aspyr Chieftain

Well, I got an answer. As it stands right now, Aspyr doesn't have any plans to address these issues, with so much going on for a future project, all of Development and then some is tied up and will be for some time. I know that sucks for you gamers right now but we just don't have the staff to accommodate such a request at this time, not that we don't want to. If only I'd been around a while back :blush: Sorry Ya'll