1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

HRE, a joke possibly?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Cato the Elder, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Cato the Elder

Cato the Elder Chieftain

lol this topic title rhymes

Either way. A bit more serious. I've been thinking about it for a while, and could it be possible that that Alex fellow might've said something like this just to put you guys off on the wrong foot? I mean, look at all these reactions here. Must be pretty hilarious for him to read all this, especially if he knows it's not true.

Look, the manual might say Firaxis aren't theologians. But they are historians. Some of them even German historians. They should know the HRE was a previous incarnation of Germany.

Just a thought I came up with really...

2. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

No, it's definitely not a joke. Many things are confirmed about it. I was in the chat when it was announced, and I can confirm too that they talked about it for quite some time.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

maybe they wanted it to be a BIG joke...

4. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Chieftain

:lol: That would be really funny, if this turned out to be another merger-type prank.

5. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Of course it's not a joke...

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

One thing is for sure: this forum has set on fire with the HRE thing.... Civfanatics sponsors should call the Firaxians and give them a warm and sincere "thank you" :p :rotfl:

7. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

I hope it is a joke

8. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Chieftain

I, for one, welcome our new Holy Roman overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Civ 4 personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others who don't bow down to the new world order.

(Shamelessly stolen from Babbler in the OT anti-merger thread. :D)

9. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

Dev's in games dont normally joke like this, if it were a "joke" he would have insisted that Mehmet II would lead it!!!!

If it were a "Pun" he may have insisted that Byzantium and HRE would be added and would both have Claudius and Constantine as their 2 leaderheads.

10. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy Chieftain

I wish. AUSTRIA would've been better!

11. Fox Mccloud

Fox Mccloud Chieftain

I can't believe their doing this. First Byzantines, a second Greece, now the Holy Roman Empire. It's going to have almost the exact same name as Rome, and occupy the same area as Germany, Netherlands and Rome, which already exist in the game.

Instead of adding new civs to take the same place as the already existing civs, I wanted them to add Poland, and Israel to represent the Jews.

They are also going to have a Rhye's and Fall of Civilization based on an Earth map. How are they going to keep Europe from overcrowding?

It's also an insult having a "Native American" civ to represent all the Native American civilizations.

12. winddbourne

winddbourne Chieftain

Austria would have been awesome.

I wasn't in the chat, had to work, but I think it came out something like this "did anyone mention charlmaignes civilization? The Holy roman empire?" in response to REPEATEDLY ignored pestering for info on new civs.

So it might be a joke just to get people to shut up. Or it could be really in. I give it a 50% chance. I know all the quick reposted and ignored pleas for info were annoying ME as I tried to read the log. So I'm betting the developers were getting even more annoyed IF they didn't plan on answering such questions just yet.

13. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Well, this being said, Charlemagne as leader of the HRE is as much a joke as would be Mehmet II. Charlemagne was a Frankish King !

14. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

The HRE certainly isn't a joke. Alex was asked whether any eastern European civs were included, and his answer was whether the HRE would count. He (or another Firaxian, I'd have to look that up) was then asked whether the HRE was in the main game or just in a scenario, and confirmed its inclusion in the main game.

15. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Chieftain

One of the modders also mentioned that the HRE was his favorite among the new civs.

16. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Guys sincerely why all this mess for a single civ?It seems that BtS content is all about HRE, there are a lot more important features to discuss than open 27 threads "WTF why they have made HRE!"

17. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Well, it's the sole "big" news from the chat session. Other news were mainly details about features that were already announced. And it naturally upsets a number of people, civ choices always call up emotions.

Anyways, focus will shift towards the many positive aspects of BtS in a matter of days, I guess. HRE will continue to be criticized, but it won't remain the sole topic on the board.

18. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Chieftain

It will probably be criticized until they announce the next new civ...

Spoiler :
    Maldives

19. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

^ When I opened the spoiler, I first read it as "Malta". :D

20. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

QFT man, QFT. :goodjob: