HRE, a joke possibly?

The Holy Roman Empire could be considered many things in addition to German (French, Austrian, Italian, and Dutch). I think Firaxis is really trying represent the Franks with the HRE. If the UU and UB are Frankish, I will change the name to the Franks.

The Holy Roman Empire could be considered many things in addition to German (French, Austrian, Italian, and Dutch). I think Firaxis is really trying represent the Franks with the HRE. If the UU and UB are Frankish, I will change the name to the Franks.

Why franks when france?

Why franks when france?

Part of a civilization is its language. If a group of people speak a different language than what what is considered the language of that Civilization, it is not part of that civilization. The Franks spoke Frankish.

Sweet baby Jesus and the apostles this'd better be a joke.

The Byzantine Empire is not, in any way, a 'second Greece'. It's not a second Greece anymore than the USA is a second 'Native Americans'. It's an off-shhot of the Eastern Roman Empire, but it has a culture distinct from both that of the Romans and the Greeks.

I'm sorry, but the Byzantine Empire is more deserving of a spot than Poland. 'The Jews' are represented by 'Judaism'.

I'm not on board with the idea of having a single Civ called 'The Native Americans', although I suppose it's marginally less insulting to them than having them be represented by Barbarians. I wonder if 'The Native Americans' will go on the Americas continent in Terra maps.

Despite criticisms, Charlemagne is basically responsible for the creation of the Holy Roman Empire. I don't really like the idea of having it in the game, but oh well, not everything can be to each individual's personal tastes.

Edit: I don't see how, in a single post, you can assert that lumping all the Native American tribes into a single Civ is insulting; and also claim that the Byzantine Empire is 'a second Greece'.

im not saying Byzantine is a second Greece, but it was founded by a greek city-state, Megara

EDIT: woot woot 701 posts

Honestly I'd prefer to lump HRE and Byzantium with Rome using the new leader system. Since different leaders almost represent different civ I-III civilizations and those "civs" have very close ties.

On the other hand I'd also rather see the cherokee, Iroquois, and Pueblo as seperate civilizations because they really don't have any common ties in language, culture, or location.

Unfortunately there will always be people on the forums who feel strongly one way or the other, and we could argue forever. One thing is certain . . . after the developers have put all the work into making a whole seperate civilization it's probably too late to ask them to change things.

They aren't going to combine three civilizations/leaders into one, even if it will sound odd to have the romans warring with the holy romans, or even the byzantines. Nor do I think they will MAKE three other civilizations that I feel should be included to replace the two I think shouldn't exist at the same time on the same map.

It's a done deal. The work has been done. I'm sure someone was consulted over the decision, I hear rumours of polls. I missed those so my vote, all our votes, won't count till the next expansion, or until the next version of civilization.

The native americans are in, the pueblo, iroquois, and cherokee are not, the romans, byzantines, and HRE are in, I doubt I'll see a new spanish leader, or to make my point very clear Hitler.

We could argue forever. But why? Does it really alter our game THAT much?

I could maybe accept lumping the Byzantines in with the Roman Empire, especially since the term 'Byzantine Empire' didn't come into use until after the fact.

The Holy Roman Empire though, was not holy, most certainly not Roman, and was only breifly an empire. It has nothing to do with the Roman Empire, nothing at all, except that it occupied some of the same land, and was created as an attempt to rehash the Eastern Roman Empire.

The Byzantine Empire is an evolution or the Western Roman Empire. Sure, it was sort of Greek, there's no denying that, but to call it a second Greece is just wrong. Especially if you object to the lumping of the Native American Tribes, as I do. But the poster above me is correct- this is a fairly pointless argument in the context of a BTS forum.

Why franks when france?

Because it's not the same, it's even not the same area.
why do think that the name means their are the same?

The Roman part in the HRE doesn't mean it's the same as Rome.

If they wanted to add european civ... Dacia would have been great choice, led by Burebista.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burebista

Poland and Hungary would have been good choices also.

I believe the reason HRE is in the game is that they had made Charlemagne scenario and wanted then to use leaderhead, UU and UB from that scenario.

Guys sincerely why all this mess for a single civ?It seems that BtS content is all about HRE, there are a lot more important features to discuss than open 27 threads "WTF why they have made HRE!"

It's a good sign. If HRE and Boudicca are the only faults BTS has, it's bound to be the best expansion ever.

If they wanted to add european civ... Dacia would have been great choice, led by Burebista.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burebista

I can only support that, but I'm afraid most people when seeing that would say something along the lines of "omfg wtf what is this?!!11!". BTW, Burebista is indeed the best choice for their leader, though most people heard about Decebalus, not Burebista.

The thing is they lasted to little... only from 82 BC to 106 AD (though Roman Dacia lasted until 271 AD).

Actually, I don't mind the HRE as an Empire. It was just... unexpected. But heck, I can finally play as Charlemagne. xp

One thing that seems to be forgotten is that this is a GAME. It's not a history package. the whole idea of it is to have fun, not to learn. It is essentially a toy. And the people on this forum make up just a small percentage who actually play the game. Obviously, I can't draw up figures, but I would imagine that most of the users have little, or no interest in history, and bought the game simply because they thought it would be fun.

Now, say we have one space for a civ left, and we have to choose between Poland, Austria and the Holy Roman Empire. From a marketing point of view, which one do you chose? Well if we consider that most of the users are likely not have any interest in history, or just don't give a toss, then Holy Roman Empire certainly sounds better. To the average guy, it is likely to sound a lot more interesting then what they would consider a minor country who their nation stuffed 4-0 in the football a week or two ago.

As I have stated in previous topics, HRE would not be my first choice civ, and initially, I was a little dissapointed, but now I couldn't care less. Why? Because it is such a small part of what is going to be such an exceptional expansion pack. If they are well balanced and have a fun UU and UB, then I look forward to playing as them.

im not saying Byzantine is a second Greece, but it was founded by a greek city-state, Megara

but that was a long long time ago, long before Constantine came to the site and said "WTF this is a good site for a new ROME, what the heck, lets build a city here" and Constantinople was born.

Constantine also looked at the ancient site of Troy when considering locations for the new capital.

Just thought I'd throw that in. :D

A question for you, cybrxkhan... what do you mean by, "If you meet the Buddha, kill him" ?

....But then a eagle grabed the city plans and took them into the ancient city site of Bizantium. Constantine said that was a God given sign and ordered that the new city should be built in the other side ( so says the legend... )

Top Bottom