Huge Earth Map: Interactive Google Map, 130 territories, resources

Krajzen

Deity
Hello. Because I have way too much free time and I am way too obsessed with geography, I have embarked on a task to design a hypothetical map of Earth, namely - divided between sensible territories, and covered with sensible resources.

This has been quite hilarious task, as I don't know what will be the upper limit of map size, what exact resources will the game get, and so on, but whatever, I did this anyway. I have divided Earth on 130 territories and covered almost every one of them with luxury and strategic resources (roughly 80% of them are realistic placements, rest of them are put for balance reasons). The interactive map is accessible below. You can click on each territory to see its area size, name and luxury resources. There are two layers, the basic one, and the Strategic Resources layer which displays 180 strategic resources on the map.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1rL2_zE9uvJin9XyO3g6ssgrKtwY55S2X&usp=sharing

Podział świata na terytoria – surowce strategiczne – Moje Mapy Google 16-11-2020 17-51-01.png

The game does have Copper, Iron, Horse and Saltpeter confirmed, and I assume Coal, Oil and Uranium will be strategic resources as well. As I said, most of them are based on actual real life locations, with the exception of Saltpeter which was very annoying resource to place and I have mostly just invented its deposits to cover the world equally.

When dividing map among territories, my rules have been:
1) Similar area of territories within geographical regions.
Spoiler :
Almost all territories in Americas and Africa have 1m - 1,5m square kilometres. Territories of India, China and Indochina have 600 - 800 thousands of square km. Territories of Europe, Maghreb and Middle East are between 300 - 600 thousands of square km. Size of several East Asian provinces (especially islands), Central America and parts of Europe - Middle East will need to be upscaled anyway, to make for a roughly balanced world. Although that Google projection is alreadyt awesome at making size of European lands more comparable to equatorial areas... At the cost of making Canada and Siberia WAY too large, so they would have to be scaled way down for in - game version.

2) Roughly fitting modern borders or administrative divisions, if possible.
3) Making historical, geographic and/or cultural sense.
4) Distributing a lot of resources everywhere, because it is harder to find up regionally appropriate resources than delete them later if the density was too high.

You can already see that there is an obvious problem with obligatory True Starting Locations Mod for such map: extreme asimmetry. Currently we do get only one culture in Americas, one in Subsaharan Africa, just two in Oriental Asia, one in Europe, and five! in the Middle East. So it would take some time before such map was actually playable in a decently balanced way - we'd have to wait for mods and expansions adding some more ancient cultures. Personally I think Caral, Etruscans, Halstatt, Slavs, Nok, Bantu, Missisipi, Scythians, Yamato and Funan would be a perfect next ten of ancient cultures for covering the world 'equally'. But oh well, why worry about that at the moment.

Feel free to comment the way I have divided the world in territories and the way I have distributed resources.

Also, my another thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...t-cultural-transitions-a-mod-synopsis.664319/ ponders on the ability for modders to restrict cultural transitions in 'historically realistic ways'. Either that, or a version of civ's Historical Starting Dates mod ('new civs appear in later ages according to their historical era of arrival') would be amazing in a combination with a huge map of Earth.

Last edited:
There is a nomadic age before anyone picks their starting culture, so I don't think True Start locations make sense.

Also part of the interesting puzzle of the game is where the region borders happen to fall. I've seen some weird borders, and to make use of tiles on both sides of the border efficiently, I will want to combine those into 1 city, and place one of those city centers near the border line so I can expand from it. If you have smoothly crafted all of the borders, this would take away from that gameplay element.

Also, regions in the game are forced to have the same biome on all of their tiles. Perhaps if you define regions by this instead of by what seems to make geographical/cultural sense, then you will end up with some fun borders like I mentioned above.

I think that when creating any earth (or regional) maps for games like Humankind, Civilization, or others, you always face the two big questions of "Which projection do I base it on?" and "How do I adapt this projection to create an enjoyable game experience?" I feel like the specific split of regions for the earth map is secondary to that.

However, that's impressive effort, creating this many regions and putting in the strategic resources as well. Personally, I think the even spread of strategic resources is less crucial in Humankind, as some cultures offer Emblematic Units that do not require strategic resources, or less of them.

Top Bottom