Huge Europe/Middle east map, 11 civs (84x52)

v.3

just stopping by for a quicke suggestion, the map lacks the crab resource and there is to few aluminium.

Played a complete epic game as england, seems like egypt was totaly overpowered but that could be due to that there where no chartago cuz of the mod error.

Drogear said:
v.3

just stopping by for a quicke suggestion, the map lacks the crab resource and there is to few aluminium.

Played a complete epic game as england, seems like egypt was totaly overpowered but that could be due to that there where no chartago cuz of the mod error.

Yeah, I've been trying to find information on crabbing in europe. I did finally find some so I will add them.

Aluminium? Yeah I do. I counted only 6 for 11 civs, so they'll be more.

I did some research, and bauxite is the ore used for it. France and Greece are the only ones mentioned to have it... I may have to concentrate it just in those areas and force trading...

Also, Jecrell released a new version that has an installer. Could you try to delete the old folder and reinstall his mod?

Hello,
I must say this is a great map. Can you tell me how did you manage to disable the globe view? I'm working on my own Europe map (a little smaller) and you can cross from England into Russia :) .
Also the starting locations for each civ are determined by placing the settler on the prop you want or do you have to do something else?

Scytale said:
Hello,
I must say this is a great map. Can you tell me how did you manage to disable the globe view? I'm working on my own Europe map (a little smaller) and you can cross from England into Russia :) .
Also the starting locations for each civ are determined by placing the settler on the prop you want or do you have to do something else?

Sure I can tell you. You need to open the Civ4WorldBuilderSave file in a text program.
This here (Map wrapping):

Code:
BeginMap
	grid width=84
	grid height=52
	top latitude=50
	bottom latitude=5
	wrap X=0
	wrap Y=0
	world size=WORLDSIZE_HUGE
	climate=CLIMATE_TEMPERATE
	sealevel=SEALEVEL_MEDIUM
	num plots written=4368
EndMap

is where you can make the map a globe or flat. Just change your wrap Y=1 to =0. That's it! You may have to move the whole map though if it isn't centered right. If needed download "PlanetShifter" in the utilities section to recenter your map!

This here (Starting location):

Code:
BeginPlayer
	Team=0
	LeaderType=LEADER_SALADIN
	CivType=CIVILIZATION_ARABIA
	PlayableCiv=1
	StartingX=68, StartingY=2
EndPlayer

is where you place the starting location. Note that your file will have lots of other data for the player, what I have is just the minimum needed so that the game runs like a randomly generated map only with start locations. Also, you have to kill all units for those start locations to work.

Also since worldbuilder adds a bunch at the beginning as well, this is what it should look like on release:

Code:
BeginGame
	Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT 		
	GameTurn=0 		
	StartYear=-4000 		
	Description=Whatever you want
	ModPath=If you use one.
EndGame

Note that the worldbuilder will add alot of junk on your worldbuilder files, when you decide to release you have to do the following:

-Kill all units, town improvements (non-tribals villages) and vision for all players.
-Go into a text editor, load the map and remove as much as possible from the BeginGame/EndGame and BeginPlayer/EndPlayer blocks (see above for minimum).

That's everytime you load and save in the world builder (yeah it sucks).

Have any will to make a HUGE world map of Earth? And is there a easier way of deleting all AI's on map to replace them elsewhere. When I make huge maps with say 6 AI's, it takes a long time to hunt them down to delete them to just replace them where I want them.

Thanks in Advance,
Fenryial

Thank you Lehawk! This is exactly what I needed! One more question: can I edit the map in notepad so that I can replace a civ on the map? If you happen to know a good tutorial about how to work my way around the world builder, please tell me.

Thank you again.

Fenryial said:
Have any will to make a HUGE world map of Earth? And is there a easier way of deleting all AI's on map to replace them elsewhere. When I make huge maps with say 6 AI's, it takes a long time to hunt them down to delete them to just replace them where I want them.

Thanks in Advance,
Fenryial

There are already huge maps of the world, unless you mean at my map's scale? If so, then not likely considering it would be 10x the area. This would also require a mod to make the game last long enough to explore the whole map. Also, civs not in europe would be able to grow almost limitlessly because of the scale wouldn't work as well for Asia, Africa and the Americas.

Scytale said:
Thank you Lehawk! This is exactly what I needed! One more question: can I edit the map in notepad so that I can replace a civ on the map? If you happen to know a good tutorial about how to work my way around the world builder, please tell me.

Thank you again.

Yes you can! You just have to change the following lines:

Code:
	LeaderType=LEADER_SALADIN
	CivType=CIVILIZATION_ARABIA

to

LEADER_HATSHEPSUT
CIVILIZATION_EGYPT

LEADER_VICTORIA
CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND

LEADER_LOUIS_XIV
CIVILIZATION_FRANCE

and so on...

The easiest way is to create a random map with all civs on it, save it, and just cut&paste the civs you want out of the text file. You may have to search the xml files for the leader names if you have a preference since you can't yet let the player choose in a scenario.

I don't know of any good tutorials, I guessed my way through. I was thinking of writing a FAQ for creating maps with pre-placed civs and their locations, but I don't really get much time.

Thanks for the answer :) Your probably right about the size. I was looking for something no larger than 25000 plots. By the way whats the easiest way to remove pre placed settlers and such for maps besides looking at the GUI?
Could I remove them in WB save file using wordpad?

Fenryial

No your did not crash :) I made some HUGE HUGE ones that did crash when loading from a saved game is all. But not that often. The world makes them fine large, its only when loading them after I have saved. But again Yours has not. I have 2gigs of ram so I hope that helps.

Fen

PS. you added that before I hit post reply on the last reply :)

Fenryial said:
And is there a easier way of deleting all AI's on map to replace them elsewhere. When I make huge maps with say 6 AI's, it takes a long time to hunt them down to delete them to just replace them where I want them.

Thanks in Advance,
Fenryial

Sorry forgot about this part of your post.

You could open the world file in a text editor and remove all the unit blocks like:

Code:
BeginUnit
everything in here deleted as well.
EndUnit

Even after you set all the start locations in the file, you will still have to delete the units because the worldbuilder adds them everytime you start the map up. At least you will then know where they are spawning.

NickSD said:
Why would that make any sense?

I haven't decided yet. I would do it if it made Greece too difficult if I added the Turks. I'm leaning towards not doing it even if I do put in the Turks, though.

Egypt is stupidly over powered in this map. That band of floodplain/plains give them unrivaled growth without even needing to pop workers out. If you pop down in their starting position, they have like 7-8 4F/1P/1C tiles and 1 6F/1P/1C tile before even starting improvements. Not sure if this is a World builder bug but putting a plain over a floodplain adds 1F/1P without destroying the floodplain bonuses. Egypt will have 3-4 size 16-17 cities before 2000BC, next to everyone else having 1-2 size 7-8 cities, they will dominate reasearch, development speed, everything...I realize they'll have health and happiness issues holding them back some, but heck with the tech lead and the huge 4F/3P tiles (mining plains/floodplains tiles) they become a non-issue quickly.

Otherwise the map itself is very nice, I enjoyed playing the starting positions as the english, romans and spanish.

Agreed. Egypt always has a 500-1000 point lead. They need a nerf BAD!

Ok, I'm pretty much going to redo Egypt's area. I want floodplains (for historical reasons), but they are more powerful than I thought they'd be (a side-effect of scaling).

I don't want to break ettiquite.
Any desire to collaborate as I'm barely beginning to learn modding?

Nick

i did some work on it. will PM Lehawk as I dont want to step on his toes or anything.

Top Bottom