• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Huge map 12 Civs medium size land masses...NO OIL!!!

brgatesjr

Chieftain
Joined
Nov 17, 2001
Messages
35
It seems that there is not one single oil resource on the entire map. This really sucks. There are usually only 2 or 3 max in my games anyway. I look forward to capturing this resource and punishing those with out tanks and what not. I am bored now.
B
 
you sure?? use the see-map-cheat and check - the oil may be hiding on remote islands - or btw under opponents cities.
 
Originally posted by brgatesjr
It seems that there is not one single oil resource on the entire map. This really sucks. There are usually only 2 or 3 max in my games anyway. I look forward to capturing this resource and punishing those with out tanks and what not. I am bored now.
B

Don't fixate on tank warfare. There are many ways to win. Try artillery-infantry groups. Try armies. Try a culture win.

Before tanks were invented most wars were fought without them. :)
 
Originally posted by Zachriel


Before tanks were invented most wars were fought without them. :)

Thats a dirty rotten lie! ;)

Seriously though, without tanks, or oil in general, its really hard! You have to rely on infantry and artillery, and marines (they dont need oil, IIRC)
 
Thanks for the info. I did wait until all sides had refining to see if anyone else had oil but there was none. I am sure that I could do a pretty good job with out tanks. In fact most of my damage is done with artillary gaurded by infantry then I use cavalry to go in and pick of the 1 hp defenders. I usually don't wait until I have tanks to start kicking ass. As for other ways to win. I have never been able to win domination or conquest. I always seem to get culture or more common diplomatic with the UN. I just think the the oil resource is a bit scarse in most cases I don't see more than 2 or 3 on a huge map.
Thanks,
B
 
Originally posted by brgatesjr
Thanks for the info. I did wait until all sides had refining to see if anyone else had oil but there was none. I am sure that I could do a pretty good job with out tanks. In fact most of my damage is done with artillary gaurded by infantry then I use cavalry to go in and pick of the 1 hp defenders. I usually don't wait until I have tanks to start kicking ass. As for other ways to win. I have never been able to win domination or conquest. I always seem to get culture or more common diplomatic with the UN. I just think the the oil resource is a bit scarse in most cases I don't see more than 2 or 3 on a huge map.
Thanks,
B


I try to win most of my wars before tanks.

Gunpowder is tied in with freedom. Once upon a time bronze weapons were very expensive. Bronze armor was reserved for the nobles and their best fighters, because tin was a rare and strategic resource. Iron was cheaper, but quality armor required huge amounts of labor to create. However, Gunpowder made every peasant a Citizen. In this context, Infantry is good and represents the people. It is no coincidence that Gunpowder coincided with the rise of the great Republics.

Infantry also results in some of the best gameplay in Civ3. For players that have only experienced the standard rush to tanks and then conquer everything in sight situation, you may want to check out more complex lines of play in the infantry age.

:goodjob: Besides, if you can establish your democratic "sphere of influence" in the infantry age, it give you just that much more power as you enter the age of motorized vehicles.
 
Top Bottom