Huge World - Maximum Tribes - Strategy

EdwardTking

Deity
How do you play the Hugec Worlds - Maximum Strategy?

I like to play at Monarch level and usually
lose these games to an AI space flight victory.

I've switched space flight victory condition
off and won at end with score and even
on a domnation victory (as Mayas).

But I find this very difficult even with a good start!

I just finished two games on huge worlds: Monarch, 10 AI archaepeligo 60%. I won the last one with culture. I go for lots of cities and and control of resources. My tech strategy is mostly 10% setting and buy/barter for what I need. I skip many early techs that don't lead to middle ages.

I build cities and fight wars mainly to control iron, oil and aluminum. The fewer resources in Civ3 make complete control possible. If you are the first to see oil on the map, you have a huge advantage. Get settlers there, rush culture to expand area, build an airport asap and load it with troops. If you can't build next to it, build close enough so bombers can make it unuseable by the owning civ once you begin a war to capture it.

I use armies alot too. They are my key to military success. I usually win through score or spaceship. If leading rivals don't have aluminum, they can't build spacehip parts.

Originally posted by EdwardTking

I like to play at Monarch level and usually
lose these games to an AI space flight victory.

I've switched space flight victory condition
off and won at end with score and even
on a domnation victory (as Mayas).

But I find this very difficult even with a good start!

I don't want to disencourage you, but that is what is possible with a good Mayan start (see pic below)

Of course, I've had a good start as well, as my capital was near to a river and hills, and some other rivers invited me to build my next cities there. Nevertheless, I was outraced to some wonders, but still managed to be tech leader except for a short period in the late middle ages.
At the current moment, my capital gives me an Infantry (90 shields) each turn, what of course helps enormously :)
The most decisive single factors, as far as I see it, was the construction of Mausolo's Maussoleum, Sistine Chapel and Shakespeare's Theatre at my capital, which gave it quite a boost.

I almost concentrate every time on having not more, but not less than one third of my cities produce military units. And I adjust production quite a lot, so that all cities are on a similar level (for the inner circle, that is).

Well, make up your own mind...

Originally posted by EdwardTking

Any way you want......... just make sure you have a book handy for those ITs.:crazyeye:

Trying again.

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 274
Top Bottom