Huitz the Aztec Poet???

floppa21

Crusty Manhole
Whatever happened to the Aztec thread for history? Did it happen and I just missed it? If so, could someone give me a link or even the correct title of that thread? Maybe I'm just an idiot...

As far as I know, there hasn't been any threads on Aztec history. Maybe you wanna start one instead. ;)

But I know nothing! About anything! No, this Huetzatecpocaholitz guy was typing poems in some Aztec lingo I guess, and knew stuff about it I thought... Haven't seen him lately, but maybe I ain't in the right forums...? All I know is the Aztecs had a city on an island in the middle of a lake, and I think I got that from Firaxis' CIV3 site... :rolleyes: IF I had a memory, I could be dangerous pal... :p

I think that was in the Off-topic. Probably moved off to page 2 or beyond by now, pushed on by newer threads. And yeah, hasn't seen that guy around for awhile. Maybe busy playing Civ3, like some of us. :)
The Aztecs' capital was at Teno-something; it was located on the present site of Mexico City. It was a marvellous geographical construction I read, something like a living garden and every available inch being farmed. In short, a massive land reclamation project fr the surrounding marshes.
After the Spanish conquered it, they built Mexico City over the Aztec city. They even built the main church on top of the most formidable pyramid of the Aztecs. And most of the material to build Mexico City was salvaged fr the old city.

Tenochtitlan? :D Well hey, here's a start to the Aztec thread... I didn't know about Mexico City... History was not my subject of choice in school...

Huitz the poet? He was very Huitty! :lol:

Who out there knows their Aztec history? I know a fair amount about the Maya, and play futbol with several aztecs, but only know the basics:

Tenochtitlan is described by Knight-Dragon.

The Aztecs were are warlike tribe that began a rapid expansion in the 12th(?) century. Many of the city names you see in the CivII list were neighbors they conquered. Many of these were kin, but under different kings. Teotihuacan was also a spiritual center and important city. Their expansion made them wealthy, which bolstered their military power. Up until contact with euros, their empire was stable, iirc. Anyway, they unified most of what is today central Mexico. They were cultural inheritors of the ancient Olmec civ, just like the Maya. (Many peoples of the region share that heritage, actually)

Anybody care to elaborate?

They were a newer tribe who migrated down fr the north. The Aztecs overthrew the former lords of the region, the Toltecs, whose capital was at Teotihuacan (IIRC). Thereafter they applied pressure in all directions and expanded, usually subjugating neighbouring cities and tribes, and thereafter demanding tribute fr them (human sacrifices).
The Aztec military campaigns could be described as a sort of religious practise in which the army invaded other places and took back prisoners for the human sacrificial rites they practised. Seniority in the army (and status) for each individual warrior depended on how many captives they had taken.
The Aztecs were still expanding rapidly when the Spaniards arrived. Thereafter, the Spanish allied with all the disaffected tributary tribes (there were many cos of the human sacrifice thing) and defeated them. Or something like that.

Top Bottom