1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Human Sacrifice to Appease Subjugated Aristrocrats

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by SowerCleaver, Jan 3, 2006.

1. SowerCleaver

SowerCleaver Chieftain

First, I’d like to note that I’m still a newbie and mostly play on Noble -- please feel free to make any comments or suggestions for the following strategy.

The Problem: When I make a war on an established civ, more often than not the first successfully captured city is immediately surrounded by the cultural border of the civ I am war at. If I am not quick enough to take out surrounding cities that emanate the culture, the captured city soon flips back to the original civ, which inconveniently forces me to take it again. Even if I take out surrounding cities before the city revolts back, a nearby third-party civ’s culture may surround now-vacuum area during the initial revolt -- which may ultimately result in flipping of the city to that civ.

One solution: With the Slavery civic, as soon as the intial revolt is over, whip the city to build cultural buldings such as Theater, Library, Monastery, Temple, etc. The added culture may earn a few more turns for me to spend in taking out surrounding cities. I think spending pop also makes sense since most of the time the city has so few tiles to work on and it will starve and lose the pop anyway. Also, if the city revolts, it will have lesser pop and will take longer to build defensive units.

Any thoughts?

2. madmaven

madmaven Warlord

Yes, use the whip! It's a good plan. They'll get over it.

3. Christopher546

Christopher546 Chieftain

The more military units you station in a city, the less likely a revolt is regardless of the cultural pressure. You can keep a lot of military units in that one city, then use all of the leftovers to press on the attack and remove the cities which are putting pressure on it.

4. Errata

Errata Warlord

Sometimes if a city is in a culturally untenable location and you dont have the momentum to continue your conquest, its always an option to raze the city instead of taking it. Its better than letting it fall back into enemy hands.

5. AngryPants

AngryPants Warlord

Ah yes, the old "If I can't have it, nobody can have it!" strategy. I'm a big fan of that one. I find that the AI is pretty stubborn about not moving defensive units out of cities, so if you feel like it, just bypass the outer cities and raze a few in the interior before you seize the cities you actually want to keep.

6. gastro

gastro Chieftain

No. A city that has been taken by force can never be culturally flipped back to the civ that lost it. (At least not if the city is always held by the civ that took it originally. I dont know how it works if the original conquerers lose the city to a third civ and the first civ to lose it surrounds the city with culture again.)

7. Jantis

Jantis Chieftain

Had it happen last night. Headed to conquer Athens, but needed more troops (I was effectively two civs away in terms of land, so reinforcements were coming in slow). So instead of Athens, I took two smaller cities nearby, leaving Alexander with only Athens.

While the reinforcements were coming, both of the smaller cities revolted a couple of times, and one of them eventually flipped. Ironically, Alexander sued for peace, offering the flipped city. :crazyeye:

That gave me 10 turns to get my reinforcements in place and kick his rump for good. Crazy Greeks!

So maybe it was a bug, but it did flip. This was on Prince - Large Continents map.

8. gastro

gastro Chieftain

Maybe it was only for 1.09 then. I remember a monarch game I played on 1.09where an aztec city I captured became completely engulfed in aztec culture. The city revolted many times and eventually starved to 1 population but it never flipped for the 100 or so turns that I had it. It also says in the civolopedia that a captured city cant be reflipped back over, but maybe they didnt update that with the new patch.

9. Mannu

Mannu Warlord

There is a gameplay option in the setup screen for no city flipping after conquest. I've never had a city flip back to the conqueror, usually I am taking the city that is exerting pressure in the next 5 to 10 turns. I have had a city flip to a third civ though...

10. Doctor Love

Doctor Love Chieftain

If you're going to lose it anyway, you can always give it away to a different AI and get some brownie points with them.

11. SowerCleaver

SowerCleaver Chieftain

Hmm. Maybe my experience was also based on version 1.09. I remember the flip-over also cost me the units stationed in the revolted city, making the flip all the more painful.
    By the way, I am reluctant to raze captured cities of well-established civ, since the vacuum of culture created by the razing is quickly engulfed by nearby civ’s culture. If I was too lazy or time-pressed to pillage surrounding improvements, this tactic would give much-improved land to the neighbor. They can easily send a settler there and the newfound city will be up and running in no time.

12. KerThud

KerThud Chieftain

I'm pretty sure the city can't flip back to the nation from whom it was conquered. So, it's always that other nearby civ that is the flip threat.

13. UnspokenRequest

UnspokenRequest Prince

The thing is, the city can't flip to the former civ during initial resistance after being taken. But, if you opponent's culture ignites a revolt a few rounds after the initial rebellion is finished (I mean if the conquered city has resumed production), I think this city can flip back to the civ from whom it was conquered.
    At least that's how I always understood the rule.

14. Kietharr

Kietharr Prince

Another thing I like doing is saving great artists for conquests. I send them into the city I take and have them drop a culture bomb, automatically takes the city out of revolt so it can start building defenders so my main force can leave unburdened with defense.

15. Entrinzikyl

Entrinzikyl Chieftain

I usually run caste system when at war and when a city comes out of it's initial revolt, I put all citizens as artists for a few turns and expand the border some. This starves some citizens to death of course, but that will generally happen anyway when the other civ's culture is so strong already.