HUMANKIND a Civ VI killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderLizard2

Warlord
Looks like HUMANKIND will be a Civ franchise killer. Any plans to set-up a dedicated subforum for it?

as long as humankind has the same tactical combat system as in endless legend, no, not for me.

is the 4x genre as a whole approaching Rts-level dead? maybe.

To answer the original question, no it's not a Civ 6 killer considering the game has been out for a couple of years and has sold well.

It's too early to know how it will affect the rest of the franchise in the future.

They have a different game vision than what Civ traditionally is. That’s okay, some people will prefer one or the other.

what will be telling is how the game influence each other- there is some clear influence from civ5 and civ6 in humankind and other games. I expect that civ7 May in turn borrow some from Humankind. They have a lot of innovative ideas that may or may not pan out (personally I am pretty excited to watch this process happen.)

Why do we always have a thread like this every month when a new pack is coming out? :hmm::confused:

And that is from the 75% majority

I know a lot of you think having Hercules, Superman & Orgasmo is cool but it’s just another mechanism that the AI will bugger up in this game. Absolute rubbish.

If successful, it might bring more players to the 4X genre and it might inspire Firaxis to try some different ideas that they wouldn't otherwise, improving the Civ franchise. If it fails, Firaxis can look at what they did wrong and avoid doing the same. Either way, this is good for Civ and the Firaxis devs are certainly just as excited as anyone to play it and hoping it will be good.

I really hate that people keep trying to push this Civ killer thing, since that kind of rivalry doesn't really exist, mainly in a genre that doesn't have a lot of competition. It's not like there are another hundred historical 4X coming out and trying to take a piece of the pie. There's enough pie for two franchises. Even in the Civ franchise itself, there are two games with pretty health playerbases. If Civ V and VI can coexist without one killing the other, what makes people think that Humankind will come and end a 30 years old franchise?

It is not a Civ killer, I have played it and I doubt the majority of Civ fans will actually like it (not that is is not a well done game, it is, but for many Civ players and especially the more casual group (which is the largest group) it is not gonna click for them). It will probably overlap more the EU crowd.

Moreover it isn't like there can be more than one franchise within a genre, that is absurd to suggest.

Why do we always have a thread like this every month when a new pack is coming out? :hmm::confused:

Because the way the civfanatics forums are set up, with two highly active forums and a ton of quite dormants in between. It's hard to find the real sub-forum and apparently there need to be better waysigns.

As for the question: It may very well, as the civ franchise has become very complacent. They will respond with civ 7, but it will take them some time to see amd react. That's btw my main reason for expecting a "final frontier pack".

It doesn't matter as long as it provides some ideas for whatever the next iteration of Civ is. The development time for a game of this magnitude is pretty long, so Humankind will have passed its peak before Civ 7 is released.

I'm going to happily play both anyway, Humankind looks interesting. The Neanderthal playing grooves in a space capsule did it for me.

Yeah.. But not really though.

What are you implying? I mean, I will definitely buy Humankind and play it thoroughly, but when (if?) Civ VII (or a new season pass) will come out, I will probably buy it too; and I will certainly continue to play Civ VI because I love this game too much to not have two games to play with. The experiences are different enough to be interesting. I play Stellaris and Endless Space 2, while both being two 4X/Grand Strategy games in space. So why Civ and Humankind couldn't coexist?

What are you implying? I mean, I will definitely buy Humankind and play it thoroughly, but when (if?) Civ VII (or a new season pass) will come out, I will probably buy it too; and I will certainly continue to play Civ VI because I love this game too much to not have two games to play with. The experiences are different enough to be interesting. I play Stellaris and Endless Space 2, while both being two 4X/Grand Strategy games in space. So why Civ and Humankind couldn't coexist?

I guess I'm basing it on my assumptions. Yes, I will probably buy both as well (also taking into account Civ VII) but I will probably only play one of them, depending on the one I find the most entertaining. The question is, if Humankind will be a Civ VI killer and if I find Humankind to be more entertaining I will probably not come back to Civ VI. I did not buy NFP because I couldn't see any added value to the Civ I personally was hoping for, so I don't think much is needed to tip me over to a new strategy game that has a "civ feeling" to it, since I still love the franchise but has become a bit dissapointed about the directions Civ VI DLCs have taken. I mean, once I've found interest in a new game in a same genre I tend to abondon older titles.

I'm not saying Humankind will be better. I actually strongly doubt it will be at release. But if it is (or becomes) I will probably only play the best of the two.

Reactions: j51
I also don't agree that we find ourselves in a world where one has to "kill" the other. As we have seen, Humankind will offer something that Civ doesn't (the central concept of changing cultures and greater focus on building your empire internally, less on "winning"), but Civ will continue to offer something Humankind doesn't (creating an empire as certain historical leaders and their personalities, with more permanent empires), and doesn't seem to intend to. Both experiences that can be enjoyed without choosing one to drop.

as long as humankind has the same tactical combat system as in endless legend, no, not for me.

No, it's definitely closer to Civ VI. You fully control the units, terrain modifiers, etc. The only difference is that you move your units together and combat area in the map is limited but extremely big (it's not pre-defined, if there are more armies or a city it gets bigger).

Btw, this expectation that Humankind will replace Civ and deliver what Civ VI couldn't will end up hurting Humankind, because there are a lot of people with unrealistic expectations about what this game will be, that just can't be matched by the real thing. The hype train has a tendency to crash at disappointment station, and Humankind is building up to take that route, not because the game will be bad, but because it can't possibly reach the perfection that people are imagining by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom