1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind - Australians discussion thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Narcisse, Apr 20, 2021.

1. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Maybe it's intended for factions that settled large empty lands in early-modern / industrial as the Spanish-Mexicans. So as an easy way to fill (as in strip mine) large tracts of land? Whereas f.e. the Swedes excel at ameliorating their core (as in Assyrian-Roman-Polish core).

And now I'm hungry for a mixture of Mexican and Australian cuisine. What would that look like? (I can however do without Assyrian-Polish-Swedish fusion food. )

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  2. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

A case can be made that Australia in the contemporary era is an Asia-Pacific regional power on par with South Korea economically, a major trading partner with China (which is why its trading dispute with China is such a big geopolitical issue), and is known to be a Western "counterbalance" in the region in terms of security. Growing up in the Asia-Pacidic region, I've noticed that in terms of influence, Australia attracts a lot of people from Asia wanting to learn English; and being the only big landmass in the South Pacific, it attracts a lot of Pacific Islander immigrants.

I always frame the culture choices being made in the Contemporary era based on modern-day/present day geopolitics, whether international or regional, thus the inclusion of Australia.

From what I can recall from the last OpenDev production output can come from resources. Like I said, Australia is big on mining. Being a Builder is as much extracting and selling raw materials as using raw materials for infrastructure.

3. fatalitod

fatalitod Chieftain

What "leaked map" are people referencing? I haven't been super invested in Humankind development so I haven't looked too deeply into everything, but I wasn't aware of any leaks.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  4. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

Can't believe they chose mining to represent Australia. One of the hottest political footballs of the last decade (and the future). Healthcare and Education outrank mining in terms of national output, surely they could have done something there instead.

5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Apparently you're wrong.
    Australia Output.png

Source: https://app.remplan.com.au/eda-australia/economy/industries/output

But still, as I said in a previous post, mining in Australia is a hot-button issue I agree. A better alternative would have been Agrarian, if you ask me because of the pastoral outback tradition.

6. Dale

I know my own country. Per the Reserve Bank of Australia (the people who actually monitor this stuff):

upload_2021-4-22_10-40-35.png

https://www.rba.gov.au/education/resources/snapshots/economy-composition-snapshot/

I can tell you with strict confidence, that our manufacturing industry has not been a power since the early 90's.

upload_2021-4-22_10-45-5.png

Note that pink is a catch all for all service industries, including Healthcare and Education.
    https://www.rba.gov.au/chart-pack/pdf/chart-pack.pdf?v=2021-04-22-10-42-12

7. grug

grug Chieftain

I like this idea. Or I was thinking, maybe a harbor city with skyscrapers (one of which is still under construction) and beaches and some sailboats, like to show what they have built? Both are sorta stereotypes but would be a bit prettier if nothing else. Plus while mining would still be included in the gameplay it wouldn't be focused on as heavily in the culture's design if it weren't in the art.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  8. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Fair enough. I apologize, I didn't know you're Aussie.

I mean, since the Contemporary Era spans from 1920s to today, and reading the figures from there, Australia could still have a Builder focus, just not mining.

But I don't know if the developers can change the focus for the Builder affinity at this point, or even the affinity itself. If it makes you feel better there are people who have an issue with American being Expansionist in the game :dunno: I knew the Contemporary Era culture choices will cause some controversy.

9. zhugejingqi

zhugejingqi Chieftain

The first time I left China was because I visited Australia. In the coastal areas of Australia, it's hard to realize that it's a mining country. I'd like to go again, but considering the Anti China atmosphere in Australia, I probably won't go again. But I'm still curious about what Australia's lt is in the game.

10. Dale

All good man. :)

The issue I have with mining is the Govt's steadfast refusal to stop selling our natural resources offshore to heavy polluters. And now that is imortalised forever in a game. It's like a beacon highlighting the ****test thing we currently do in the world.

That's really only recently due to the diplomatic war China is waging on us since Covid. Australian Govt called out China's lies, and they didn't like it so they tried all sorts of trade and diplomatic sanctions. Didn't stop us though, we just sold all our resources elsewhere and almost replaced the boycotted export amount elsewhere in the world.

Pre Covid sentiments were that Australia was very welcoming to Chinese. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03...sically-tension-pandemic-lowy-report/13207464
    That article focuses mostly on post-Covid tensions due to the national tensions, but does highlight Chinese Australians pre-Covid felt welcomed and part of the country.

CivLuvah likes this.
  11. zhugejingqi

zhugejingqi Chieftain

Yes, please stop exporting highly polluting coal and iron ore to China. I don't know if it's a joke that Australia doesn't stop polluting mining but accuses the buyer of being the bad guy. Australia doesn't love the Chinese, but it probably loves our money.

12. Dale

@zhugejingqi you need to re-read what I said. I also think you listen to the communist mouth piece too much. Australians don't hate the Chinese. Current Govt sentiment does not reflect what happens in the population.

But we have severly deflected from the topic.

I don't agree with mining, if we're talking "modern" times I feel Australia in the game would be better represented in healthcare and education in some form.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  13. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The thing is "healthcare and education" is not in any way unique to Australia as opposed to any other First World country. But looking at that graph mining may not be the biggest sector, but it is definitely bigger in Australia than most other First Word countries [expected because Australia has a lot more land per population.. for either farming-Agrarian or mining-Builder.. than almost anywhere else...besides Canada]

j51 likes this.
  14. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: Please stick to the topic of the game, current events and politics do not belong in this forum.

15. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

So I gather that Mining has gone up, and that Healthcare and Education are individually less than Mining. Combining 2 different industries so that it doesn't look like Mining is the highest proportion of Industry seems like political manipulation of statistics to me.

And with Manufacturing so large in the past, I suppose Builder makes sense. But I guess if they're looking only at WWII and forward, then I can see ignoring the Agrarian parts of the country. Those were more prevalent in colonial times, and even the Gold Rush fits with the Mining colony.

So the question becomes: who the heck is Agrarian then? What culture makes more sense than Australia?

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Argentina? Brazil?
    Or as agrarian leads to population growth: Nigeria? Indonesia?

17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

General Comments.

On the Emblematic Unit. Ties in nicely with a bit of news I just read this morning: US Army trying to find a replacement for the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, which is now 30 years old and getting 'long in the tooth' - they have 5 candidates to test, and they represent contractors and sub-contractors from at least a dozen different countries. That's the problem (or going to be the problem) with a lot of contemporary 'Emblematic' Units: they are very homogenized because many countries are looking for the same kinds of military capabilities, and many contractors are now internationalized so that you get very similar units/vehicles/equipment all over the world. An "All Terrain High Mobility Vehicle" covers developments current in at least 6 countries that I know of, and I'm sure there are more . .

Mining/Builder is a curious choice if you were trying to represent Popular (Non-Australian) Conception of Australia, but since there is no obvious way to relate Kangaroos and Koalas to Food, Money, Production or Influence (the 'currencies' in Humankind) what are ya gonna do?
    Exporting Pollution and Raw Materials is not just controversial in Australia: Up here in the Pacific Northwest we get grumbles about exporting timber to China and elsewhere and the Canadians across the border about exporting all kinds of raw materials to the detriment of their own citizens (especially the First Peoples up there). This is something that I think any 'Builder in contemporary times is going to run into.

On the other hand, before any of us say that the Emblematics are boring or ill-conceived, we haven't actually seen any of the numbers or effects of those Emblematics, so all we are judging are the titles and artwork. They could be marvelous in final form, we just don't know yet - and since the Victor Open Dev announced today doesn't include the last two Eras, we may not know until Release . . .

Well, at least this gives me the opportunity to use my favorite Fake Australian town/city name in the game:

Didgubringabeeralong

j51, Jkchart and Atlas627 like this.
  18. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

India or even China (population)
    Brazil ...would fit with “controversial industry/activity ->affinity” that we have so far
    Nigeria

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  19. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Well one thing is for sure. Canada summarily UN-confirmed, lol.

A second Anglo-colonial, contemporary culture that is specifically focused on mining is a nail in the coffin