1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind - Germans discussion thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Eagle Pursuit, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

conorbebe, Kjimmet, Guandao and 3 others like this.
  2. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Good argument for U-Boat as an emblematic unit, even if it feels a bit stale.

Don't like the idea of making something as ubiquitous as a coke works into an emblematic quarter. Yes, Germany had them. Everybody had them. It was part of industrialization.

conorbebe, Kjimmet, Jkchart and 2 others like this.
  3. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

And militarist it is, I'm honestly not that bothered, but I'm hoping that the Coking works can provide so much industry that you want to trascend as Germany as not to loose it.

4. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Far from the singular tropes of British (the extreme expansionism) and French (the rejoicing of innovations and expo), we got the classical choice for an industrial european culture. Militarist, an EU related to engineering and an EQ related to industry, It could fit with a lot of european nations. Germans seems to be the safe pick to enter into Industrial Revolution.

U-boat will be a lot of fun to take down the expensive and extensive navy of Early Modern Era.

Anyway, I still hope a Legacy trait about Science.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    8housesofelixir likes this.
  5. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Still feels a bit weird to have Redcoat, Curasier and U-boat in the same era but I guess theres plenty of emblematic units from previous eras that arnt contempoary with each other.

Meluhhan and j51 like this.
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The Industrial Era was a time of great upheaval. The end of it was very different from the beginning, even though it only spans 150 years or so. The British and French EUs represent early to mid Industrial while the German EU are more representative of the late Industrial.

7. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Yeah, weird is right. Like is the Industrial Era going to have 2 sets of units: a Napoleonic and then a World War set?

8. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I don't feel so weird about the Curasier...French cavalry looked like that well into WW1, but I get your point, is kind of odd, but also part of the charm of humankind, even more when a past culture trascends.

Maybe down the road when they add more DLC's they'll have enough granularity in cultures that this won't be so much of an issue, in this case, say, Teutons, Prussia, Germany, West and East Germany maybe?

j51 likes this.
  9. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

the Red Coats too are more related to the early part of the period depicted by HK. Same with Swedes if they are confirmed. And probably Russian are more tied to 1700 and napoleonic wars too.
    Austro-Hungarians and Germans Units are related to world war 1. Siam unit to the Rama V period

There is less tech in some of the previous era. So I expect Industrial having more tech and a little more units, and covering Napoleonic and WW1 warfare.

We know there will probably be early planes (industrial airfield quarter with little balloons), and a napoleonic field artillery unit.

10. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

That's stating the obvious historically, but it doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective. Ideally in a grand strategy game each era should correspond to a single set of units, or "universe of battle" if you will.

Ancient: bronze, chariots
    Classical: basic iron, early horse riding
    Middle: stirrup, more advanced iron
    Early Modern: pike and shot, sail
    Industrial/whatever you want to call it: line of battle both on land and sea
    Modern/Contemporary: tanks, planes, battleships (they do go through iterations of power/complexity but 'yawn' to this stuff)

11. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

Line of battle on land effectively ended in WWI, but line of battle on sea continued until the dominance of carrier battle group, half a century later.

Meluhhan and Narcisse like this.
  12. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

I agree that coke works is an ubiquitous choice. On the other hand, the artwork of the EQ has that famous winding tower of Zeche Zollverein on it, therefore the EQ might be a generalized take on the industries of whole Ruhr Valley.

mitsho likes this.
  13. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

yes, the brick building in front refer more to all Zeche in Germany, but the red widing tower is the symbol of the Rurh valley, and the one of Zollverein.
    Maybe all cultures will have a generic Steelwork quarter, and coal as strategical ressource. The Zeche Zollverein complex is more a bonus to put side to them ?

14. mitsho

mitsho Deity

We will see when we know about the tech tree ... :) I do agree though that U boats versus Red Coats / Cuirassiers is a good question to ask. I do think they have an answer for that. But with any game in preview, they like to point out the early game and the early game thus is always more developed than the later stages. So I hope they will soon move on to Early Modern/Industrial/Modern systems in their previews or Open Devs. :)

As for Germany, this is very expected.

j51 likes this.
  15. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

makes me wonder if the era will contain two types of infantry or is this going the civ 6 route and having musketeers upgrade into infantry with some napoleonic stuff thrown in for certain cultures.

I hope not I dont really see why 200 years or so of warfare should be brushed over like that.

Elhoim and j51 like this.
  16. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

we already saw a generic napoleonic line infantry with bayonet in some industrial screenshot. Personnaly, I wonder if we will get an unit after them.
    And if we will get a generic WW1 tank (renault FT), what ships (steamship, ironclad, ...) which flying units (first airplaines, zepellin), if the submarine unit is exclusive to Germans for industrial ....? etc ^^

So much mysteries.

j51 likes this.
  17. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Yeah, maybe the U-boat is exclusive to Germany and comes at the end of the Industrial era, but then other cultures can build subs only at the beginning of the contemporary?

18. grug

grug Chieftain

As far as the Uboat being at the end of the era, I wonder if they may skip Germany for the contemporary period, so they are making a militarist/ industrial Germany (as opposed to say Prussia) which could apply to both eras. They could have Japan in contemporary (despite Meiji Japan also making sense in Industrial) as a slightly less controversial and less explicitly genocidal member of the Axis Powers in WWII, especially if they give Japan a post-war focus. Tangential question here but I also wonder why the turtle boat is the geobukseon while the uboat isn't the unterseeboot, which is much more familiar to an English speaking audience.

19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Yes there most likely won't be a contemporary Germany, and it would be redundant. I'm sure they will have contemporary Japan however I'm sure they would get a WWII unit at least like the Zero fighter.

Also I'm pretty sure the general English speaking audience only knows them by the name Uboat, especially from the U.S.

20. grug

grug Chieftain

But my point on the name is I wonder if there was any logic behind using an anglicized name for the Uboat but not a number of other emblematics with anglicized names. People from the US are definitely unlikely to know the turtle boat as the geobukseon or the longship as the langskip or the gothic cathedral as the catedral gótica.