Humankind- Haudenosaunee Discussion Thread

Guandao

Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka
Haudenosaunee.png

So the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) have been revealed!

This was a pleasant surprise for me. If the Inca are in, they will appear next week. But if they are not, it would be the Joseon Koreans instead.

I like the design. I love how much personality there is in the art card; the kids in the rafters are a nice touch.

This means there's Native American music in the soundtrack!

Finally, finally, finally, someone got the name right!

Thank you, Amplitude!

(if the Inca are in? You mean, Tawantinsuyu? :p)

"We are surely going to get them named as Iroquis, no way they would have balls to name them corrextly but obscurely to popcultural ears and difficult to pronounce" - Krajzen some time ago, not being yet illuminated by the wisdom of Amplitude

Though to be honest, back then I didn't know 'Iroquis' was offensive term.

I have managed to guess them being agrarian! Although that means I am not sure what will Poland get (if it is really in). Awesome design overall, and very unorthodox too. Second great hit after Japan. Although now I have no idea who will be Industrial era agrarian, as both Edo and Iroquis are taken out and they were my only bets :p

Oh come on guys, stop expecting Inca to come out in industrial age, what will be next, modern Inca? Yes I know there were prominent Incan rebels in 18th century but it's not what people want, it's like giving us 20th century Greece as the only Greek civ in the game. It is obvious that an entire Andean cultural lineup was moved until expansions, they need something spicy left. Same with Han, Indonesia, Missisipi, Swahilli, Kievan Rus etc.

I like that they gave the emblematic unit, whose name I still have to learn, a rifle.
It makes sense. The Iroquois were a second-tier power in the region until they acquired firearms from the Dutch, after which they exploded into the premier indigenous power across the entire Eastern seaboard and even into the Midwest.

I like the design. I love how much personality there is in the art card; the kids in the rafters are a nice touch.

What I like is that the art emphasizes one of the Emblematic Facts of Haudenosenee Culture: the Long House belonged to the women of the family: a man had to ask permission to enter his wife's or mother's dwelling, and had virtually no formal say in how the Long House was run - his responsibilities were all outside the home.

I like that they gave the emblematic unit, whose name I still have to learn, a rifle.

Also, gorgeous card.

Norhing more to add here. Very satisfied.

Actually, mostly Muskets, not Rifles. Rifles were a very specialized firearm until the late 18th century, a little after the Peak of the Haudenosenee influence. Doesn't really matter: the Haudenosenee Speciality was close-range ambush and surprise attack: the range of a rifle was not needed when you start in the enemy's hip pocket . . .

Note the hint that the Emblematic Unit also has a scout/reconnaissance function. IF, like Civ VI, 'scouts' have some special abilities or mobility or promotions, it could make the Haudenosenee unit a very powerful one indeed.

Finally, the "Three Sisters Plantation" is artificial, but a Major Hand to Amplitude :clap: for including the Haudensosenee PolyCrop agricultural system, which really defines them as an Agricultural Power/Faction.

Last edited:
(if the Inca are in? You mean, Tawantinsuyu? :p)
Nunakuna would be my vote re: the Inca. Tawantinsuyu is strictly the name of the empire (directly translates to the four corners (of the earth)), and not the name of the culture/people.

I am elated at this announcement; it really is good to see a North American culture in the initial release. The names are accurate, though I wonder why Rotiskenrakehte was chosen as a name, and not some endonym for the 3 sisters for consistency? At any rate, a minor quibble.

To my knowledge, this is the first time the correct name is being used in a video game's depiction of the Haudenosaunee ever. That alone is momentous

It makes sense. The Iroquois were a second-tier power in the region until they acquired firearms from the Dutch, after which they exploded into the premier indigenous power across the entire Eastern seaboard and even into the Midwest.

Yeah, that's why I said I like it. It's also a step away from the noble savage trope, i.e. "this unique eh emblematic unit is stronger than the normal scout of other empires even though they use tomahawks and not guns like everybody else since they are just awesome even though they 'lost' in real life". I feel like that kind of exoticism has no place anymore in our modern understanding, but civ 6 kinda relies heavily on them. Maybe I've just become a cynic.

Actually, mostly Muskets, not Rifles. Rifles were a very specialized firearm until the late 18th century, a little after the Peak of the Haudenosenee influence. Doesn't really matter: the Haudenosenee Speciality was close-range ambush and surprise attack: the range of a rifle was not needed when you start in the enemy's hip pocket . . .

I actually thought about which word to chose, but the depiction in the end looked more rifle like which is why I went with that. But keep in mind, English is not my main language and I am not that knowledgeable in the different kinds of firearms anyway. But as you say, it doesn't really matter, the endresult is the same :)

Yeah, that's why I said I like it. It's also a step away from the noble savage trope, i.e. "this unique eh emblematic unit is stronger than the normal scout of other empires even though they use tomahawks and not guns like everybody else since they are just awesome even though they 'lost' in real life". I feel like that kind of exoticism has no place anymore in our modern understanding, but civ 6 kinda relies heavily on them. Maybe I've just become a cynic.
Oh I thought they did a fairly decent job with the Okihtcitaw... The name is accurate and it uses a gunstock club
I actually thought about which word to chose, but the depiction in the end looked more rifle like which is why I went with that. But keep in mind, English is not my main language and I am not that knowledgeable in the different kinds of firearms anyway. But as you say, it doesn't really matter, the endresult is the same :)
As I understand it, the Dutch made sure to trade smaller calibre hunting guns than "military-grade" ones with local tribes, so the shorter barrel and small profile looks accurate to me. They were conscious not to outright arm their trade partners for European-style war.

I LOVE that they used the native name and not the European-imposed "Iroquois" and they didn't even try to explain that they are the Iroquois. Had never heard of this name before.

European-imposed "Iroquois"
I didn't know the Algonquins were European. :mischief: (To elaborate, the history is a bit involved. The Algonquins--and other Northeastern Algonquian tribes--and the the Haudenosaunee have been enemies since time immemorial. The French allied themselves with the Algonquins, while the Dutch and later English sided with the Haudenosaunee. The exact etymology of "Iroquois" is uncertain, but it seems pretty clear that it was an Algonquian name for their traditional enemies. When the English annexed Canada, they also picked up the local Canadian name for the Haudenosaunee. So "European-imposed" is rather inaccurate; like "Sioux"--and quite a few tribal names--it was in fact an exonym from another tribe.) Not to say I'm not delighted that they chose Haudenosaunee instead of Iroquois.

I really wish that they were called the Iroquois, the name by which everyone has known them for hundreds of years. "Haudenosaunee" feels like it's referencing an obscure piece of trivia and done so only to appeal to a small but vocal part of the fan base. "Iroquois" is iconic; "Haudenosaunee" is a decent Scrabble word and little else these days. Amplitude, it's not too late to change it.

I'd have preferred that Amerindians would have been given an entire cultural line across all six eras as DLC or part of an expansion, but apart from the name, it's nevertheless one of the most exciting cultures announced thus far.

"Haudenosaunee" feels like it's referencing an obscure piece of trivia and done so only to appeal to a small but vocal part of the fan base.
And the only way to change that is to... You guessed it. :)

I really wish that they were called the Iroquois, the name by which everyone has known them for hundreds of years. "Haudenosaunee" feels like it's referencing an obscure piece of trivia and done so only to appeal to a small but vocal part of the fan base. "Iroquois" is iconic; "Haudenosaunee" is a decent Scrabble word and little else these days. Amplitude, it's not too late to change it..

This reminds me of when Phoenicia was released and some people got mad cause they weren't called Carthage, as if Carthage wasn't a Phoenician colony that bloomed in the classical era, its heads of state Phoenicians, and Dido a Phoenician princess herself.

I think we should aspire to note history more accurately, not concede to the false misconceptions of the many.

"Haudenosaunee it's a word in which we hope that everybody embraces, because that's who we are. We adore being complimented in this way because it identifies who we are as citizens, people, identifies our government and our customs. So yes, it's a compliment if you greet someone who is Haudenosaunee with this word."

Yeah, Iroquois is what we always heard and we are "used to". But if they want and like to be called as what they always called themselves, I think I can handle linking the two words and concepts together, and get used to it.

Good call, amplitude.

Top Bottom