1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind - Italians Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Eagle Pursuit, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Narcisse

Narcisse Prince

Venetians ethnically were really different from Tuscans for exemple, their language were different, they were more "Roman" or even "Byzantine" (even with the rivalry), than "Italians". A blob don't make sense.
    And yes we could argue it is the same for Celts ... and yes it would be better to distinct them imo.
    (not really the same for Greeks, even if it was a bunch of citystates thinking they were different from each other, we can identify too much common things to be ignored, even with macedonians. And I'm always more convinced by "Hellenes" to refer to the Hellenic culture)

Byzantine is another debate, it's just way easier to use this terminology, to distinct two really different roman entities, separed by a really long period, constituted by really different cultures, etc etc ...

And Lombard would be an excellent medieval culture to go from Goths, and go into Venetians.
    But I don't think it's a priority, sadly

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

As said earlier the Venetians are already in the game appearing Early Modern Era. So it would be appropriate for a singular Italian culture to appear later.

Honestly I'm not surprised they are in the Industrial Era considering the Germans are also in it as the ending date for the era is roughly 1920.

3. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Ha, well colour me surprised. A couple of funny things to note:

The Mountain infantry I expected for the Austrians, as it's their go-to unique when you want to keep Hussars for an upcoming Hungarian civ. Now that they're combined, they could have it. Instead they got a special spy. But now the Italians look like Pseudo-Austro-Hungarians to me: aesthetic affinity, a opera house and a mountain infantry. Also funny: The Italians get a Opera House called Teatro (correct linguistically) whereas the Austrians get a Opera house named Opernhaus. Did we really need that much repetition? Also: the opera is on the Italian culture card as well as their emblematic quarter, really?

Again, I can't say anything against the culture design on its own. It's only when you compare it to the Austro-Hungarians that things get fishy. Quite interested for the Legacy Trait and other details here :)

And: the Industrial era now seems more and more like the "WW1" era with a smaller subgroup of emblematic rather centered around 1850 (Redcoats, Cuirassiers, Colonial Office)

conorbebe, Uberfrog, Kjimmet and 6 others like this.
  4. salty mud

salty mud Deity

I can't recall saying it was inappropriate. I simply wanted to know if medieval era Italy is represented in the game at all. That doesn't mean I want a civilisation called "The Italians" for the medieval period. Just seems a little odd that Italian representation in the game goes Romans -> Goths (sort of Italian representation) -> Venetians -> Italians. There's definitely space for a civilisation like The Lombards, I think.

5. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

From a dev on Discord:

"Well Redditors still think Iranians are a no show even though... huh... I wonder how you might call them that goes after Italians..."

Meluhhan and Hawke9 like this.
  6. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Not really related but this made me realize that we haven't get any dreadnought UU, even for Britain. It's such an important part of naval warfare revolution but many historical game tend to overlook it.

Hype!.jpg

Jkchart and mitsho like this.
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Why do I feel like she's singing, "Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbyyyyye"? :mischief:

CivLuvah and Jkchart like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Sorry, I didn't realize you were specifically looking for a Medieval representative for Italy also.

You're right that either the Goths or Byzantines would be the closest, though that's not a 100% accurate portrayal. That being said there most likely won't be an a Modern Italian culture either as there hasn't been a single continuous line throughout the whole game, unless you might count Argentina. :mischief:

Personally I think the Venetians could have fit in the Medieval while another culture like Tuscans could have went in Early Modern.

salty mud and Zaarin like this.
  9. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Interesting.....then either Mexicans or Swedish or Zulu aren't in Industrial if that's the case....

Meluhhan likes this.
  10. grug

grug Chieftain

https://imgur.com/a/4cPjGSY

This album is periodically updated with the cultures (and superb artwork) revealed so far.

Meluhhan, CivLuvah and salty mud like this.
  11. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Italians... and no Ethiopians?

It’s looking like an even more bizarre choice if they go on without Ethiopia in the Industrial era.

conorbebe, Meluhhan, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  12. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

It would be a Italian + Spanish fusion. We have the best and worst traits of both :p

Meluhhan, Kjimmet, Krajzen and 4 others like this.
  13. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

Yes, but I feel like I have to point out that they don't always go in alphabetical order.

14. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Of course, but they do tend to, and I was under the impression that the Zulu were considered likely.

I’m itching to be proven wrong though!

Meluhhan and Jkchart like this.
  15. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I hope it's the Ethiopians too because it better fits the system than the Zulu.

To me, for Humankind's scale, Zulu might be better (at least initially) as an independent people.

Kjimmet, Krajzen, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Well, what a pleasant surprise! I didn't expect them to be an Industrial culture since I've been clamoring for them as an Early Modern culture. But I guess this is okay.

Although I couldn't tell them apart from the Austro-Hungarians except for the EU. Maybe legacy trait?

17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Yeah it was meant as a joke of course. Better than saying Ethiopia at least. :shifty:

Narcisse likes this.
  18. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

It makes a lot of sense as Industrial because this is the era of nationalism and when there was a real (and of course successful) Italian unification movement as opposed to a predominance city states and a vaguely defined “kingdom of italy” without any real authority attached previously (though the Holy Roman Emperor would certainly try to enforce authority!)

Plus this is when Italy built its Empire too, of course spilling into the early contemporary before losing it all for reasons we all know too well.

a conglomerate “Italian” culture just doesn’t work as well IMO for an early modern culture.

ill be pining for some medieval Tuscans though now (or Sicilians, that’s fine too)

j51 and CivLuvah like this.
  19. Narcisse

Narcisse Prince

Medieval Lombard, Medieval Sicilio-Norman, Early Modern Tuscans, Early Modern Napolitans is my personnal wishlist (even if I doubt to have any of them officially :p)

Jkchart likes this.
  20. Bonci

Bonci King

Teatro literally means theater (so not only for Operas). But yeah, they seem to share a bit the focus with Austria.
    Still, I cannot complain as I live in the part of north Italy which was under A-H at the start of the century. Now the home of the alpini :p