1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind - Mauryans discussion thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Eagle Pursuit, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

2. conorbebe

conorbebe King

From what I can tell, samnahya translates to "War Elephant" from Sanskrit. I wonder why they went with the Sanskirt word for the Mauryans but not the Phoenician word for Carthage?

Zaarin and Jkchart like this.
  3. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I knew it! Pleased to see them here.

Expansionist would have also been appropriate but I do like the Aesthete trait instead that they are going for.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  4. BuchiTaton

BuchiTaton Warlord

Probably they still could change the carthaginian one. I would love if all emblematic units have their native language name.

There are some problematic ones like the Harappans or the Olmecs. In the case of olmecs devs could use some of the probable related languages (debatable of course) like Mixe, Zoque or Popoluca. Sadly harappans could rise some nationalistic dispute if devs chose any suggested language family for Harappa.

drakula15 and conorbebe like this.
  5. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Wow, I am positively surprised. I was afraid no Han means no Indian faction.

It seems China - India incarnations are asymmetrical. There was an interview which said China is represented by Zhou, Ming and PRC. So I thought India would get three iterations as well (and maybe in same eras). And here we get Maurya but no Han. Seeing how India will most probably get modern iteration, this means either no India between classical and modern (seems strange) or more Indias than Chinas. Interesting.

(I am still quite disappointed by the lack of Han Dynasty, eastern counterpart of Rome existing for 400 years)

6. mitsho

mitsho Deity

So are Elephants the Pyramids of the Units? :)

So curious on the details of the unit system, and all the other systems as well. I am very impressed by that culture card, looks very cool.

Siptah likes this.
  7. grug

grug Chieftain

The description of the EQ on twitter mentions stupas being used to store Buddhist relics, I wonder if that means relics or works of art could be in the game as in civ, or if that was just to give context. I could see relics being generated by the random event system in cities with high influence.

8. SagarRathore

SagarRathore Chieftain

Han and Tang are indeed very surprising omissions. Considering the importance they have in Chinese civilization,they are most strong candidates for DLC.
    For India it will be great if Cholas appear in medieval era,they will add new dimension and give much needed representation to Dravidian culture.

Meluhhan likes this.
  9. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Looks great, a bit surprised by the Aesthete choice. Glad that there are more Elephants around besides carthaginian ones.

10. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Elephant unit is obligatory in every strategy game ever which includes Indian faction. So they were a given. I'm pretty sure Khmer will have elephant unit as well.
    I'm pretty happy multiple iterations of Indian civilziations will mean some India WITHOUT elephant unit, though.

Inb4 I was wrong, in every era there is some civ from Indian subcontinent and each and every one of them has a different elephant unit

Jkchart and conorbebe like this.
  11. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I still hope for the Mughals, and they probably would not get an elephant.

12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

:nono: Everybody gets an elephant! :gift::dance:

13. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Honestly I think Expansionist would have been more fitting here, but I suppose this classification will be given to Rome and Persia? Maya will likely be Scientist, and I'm clueless what the 10th culture will be.

drakula15 and Meluhhan like this.
  14. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

We're still lacking both Builder and Agrarian cultures in the Classical Era, so unless they're skipping certain era/trait combinations (which seems unlikely to me, unless I've missed something) we still have to account for both of those. Seeing what trait they've given to the Mayans (guessing Builder or Scientist, but possibly Agrarian) is likely going to help narrow down the remaining three a lot.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  15. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

What would fit alphabetically and from the time frame?
    Silla came up, it would fit better in Medieval, but just looking at the numbers, it could be classical.
    Saba.
    Seleucids, to add to the mediterranean and elephant galore both at once :D
    Yamato.
    Nazca.
    Tiwanaku.
    I'm not sure if there is any Vietnamese or Indonesian culture that would make sense here.

grug likes this.
  16. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

The Nabataeans, who built Petra, would be a good choice for a Classical Builder culture in my opinion. But then again East Asia ought to get some representation, so maybe they're better saved for DLC.

conorbebe, drakula15, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  17. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Would Mayans make a good fit for agrarian? I could see them being Builder or Scientist. Really interested to find out about the agrarian civ.

18. grug

grug Chieftain

I think Nam Viet/ Yue Chinese could work, especially as an agrarian orientation, although their cultural influence didn't extend much past their conquest and assimilation by the Han so idk.

19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Glad to see the overall trend (still some exceptions, but it's Early Days) of using as much as possible the 'native' terms for units and such.

Very, very, very minor quibble, and its 'aesthetic' only: the illustration shows a single archer in a howdah, and the howdah, from contemporary illustrations, was not in use yet. The (very few, admittedly) actually contemporary illustrations show 2 - 3 archers riding astride behind the mahout.
    Save the howdahs for the Mughuls - who could, in fact, get a very different elephant, mounting a gunpowder weapon. Contrary to popular belief, not cannon - elephants towed them, didn't carry them - but they did mount long large-caliber muskets - similar to the Afghan 'jezzails' - and their crews on elephants, which would make a neat Renaissance Ranged unit for the game.

drakula15 likes this.
  20. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

A Plethora of Pachidermious Plentitude;
    an Egregious Expansive Excess of Elephantery;
    a Maximum Mass of Mammothoid Megafauna

Indian Elephants, Khmerian Elephants, Mughul Elephants, Siamese Elephants, Burmese Elephants, Carthaginian, Seleucid, Phyrrean Elephants: Elephants for Armies, Circuses, Forest Camp Bonuses, trampling your enemies and trumpeting your successes.
    Gray elephants for everyday, White elephants for dead-end Techs, Brightly painted elephants for Victory Parades.

Extra Fame Score: Can You Play at least 4 Eras with Elephants? (Hint: You'll have to get the special P.T. Barnum Emblematic Promoter for the Modern Era)

I'd end with a smiley but there don't seem to be any with elephants in my Mac menu . . .

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020