Humankind Mod Tools Beta Release

Discussion in 'Humankind - Creation and Customization' started by Catoninetales_Amplitude, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you a quick heads up that after minor technical difficulties, the modding tools are available now.
    If you want to try your hand at making mods for Humankind, you can find the "Humankind Mod Tools" in the Tools category of your Steam library if you own Humankind on Steam. (Sorry, we don't have a solution for EGS and Gamepass users in place at the moment.) The first time you run them, they'll prompt you to install Unity and activate a (free) license.
    Keep in mind, the tools are still in development, so some features are missing and you may encounter bugs. Notably, AI modding is not present yet, and you cannot import textures or 3D assets (though you can import images to be used in the UI.)

I'm sure there are plenty of clever modders here you can still do amazing work even if restricted to data-based modding.

You can find more info in the Beta release and Modding Basics blogs, but unfortunately I can't provide you with a full manual yet.

2. (AOM)

(AOM) Chieftain

Hey, thank you for the information! I was wondering, are you going to modify the system so people don't have to enable the mods made with this system after they install them, re-enable those mods every time they start a game, and re-enable them again every time they load a game that was started with one of these mods active? At the risk of generalizing, it is my understanding that most people who install mods want their mods to work without having to click into some other screen to enable the mods they installed every time they start or re-load a game.

3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

I suppose, as it's listed as a known issue in the list here
    https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...46452-mods-how-to-use-and-known-issues?page=1

4. (AOM)

(AOM) Chieftain

Yes, I saw that. :) I am wondering what the plan is for revising this going forward and the time frame too, I suppose. I'm also wondering when it will be available for Mac, as I do the vast majority of modding on a Mac. All our mods are tested in Windows (of course), but they're made on a Mac.

5. Saxo Grammaticus

Saxo Grammaticus Warlord

I was initially dismayed by the Mac caveat; however, now, I'm simply baffled. I downloaded FoxFox's Oarly Boats mod and plopped it in the modifications folder. Works like a charm. So, maybe Mac copies can't directly download via Mod.io, but it's worth a try.

6. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

I don't know the specific plans. If I recall correctly, Endless Space 2 saved the list of active mods when you quit the game. And in Endless Legend, you could save a playlist. So probably something similar to that, but I am not sure.

Yes, as far as I know, only the automatic downloading is broken. Installing them manually should probably still work. No guarantees, though.

Saxo Grammaticus likes this.