1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Remaining Cultures Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by CivLuvah, Jun 30, 2020.

1. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

So all of the cultures for the first half of the game have been revealed already (Ancient-Medieval). Let's speculate what could be the remaining cultures for the next three eras (yes, we're playing this game again but for Humankind).

Based on the OpenDev announcement, the two cultures that they've announced but have yet to be fully confirmed are the Koreans and Japanese. I'm speculating they're both in the Early Modern Era, with the Koreans as Scientist and Japanese as Aesthete.

Any other thoughts on the other 28?

Hawke9 likes this.
  2. Hawke9

Hawke9 Warlord

The Dutch, Spanish, Swedish and (Capetian) French have also been indirectly confirmed from multiple background details in the dev diary videos.
    I've also heard the devs metion the PRC so a modern China would be a safe bet I think.
    Other cultures I would surely expect are:

-Russians / (Soviets?)
    -Americans
    -Brazilians
    -Italians
    -Polish
    -Ottomans

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Here's my guesses. Though I'm unsure for a lot of them (especially for the last two eras). @Hawke9 How were the Swedish indirectly confirmed in the dev diary videos? I might need to change up my predictions if that were the case. Also the Capetians were Medieval, and we got the Franks instead in that era.

Early Modern Era:

1. Dutch (Merchant)
    2. Iroquois (Militarist)
    3. Japanese (Militarist or Aesthete)
    4. Koreans (Scientist or Aesthete)
    5. Ming (Aesthete or Merchant)
    6. Mughals (Builder)
    7. Ottomans (Expansionist)
    8. Polish (Agrarian)
    9. Spanish (Expansionist)
    10. Venetians (Merchant)

Runner ups/DLC material: Portuguese, Safavids, Songhai, Swedish, Kongolese, Vietnamese, Burmese, Mataram

Industrial Era:
    1. Argentines (Agrarian)
    2. Austrians (Merchant)
    3. British (Scientist, Expansionist, or Merchant)
    4. Ethiopians (Militarist or Aesthete)
    5. French (Expansionist)
    6. Iranians (Militarist or Aesthete)
    7. Italians (Aesthete)
    8. Russians (Agrarian)
    9. Siamese (Aesthete)
    10. Zulu (Militarist)

Runner ups/DLC material: Gran Colombians, Moroccans, Afghans, Mexicans, Ashanti, Sioux, Vietnamese, Prussians,

Contemporary Era:
    1. Americans (Scientist, Merchant or Militarist)
    2. Australians (Merchant or Aesthete)
    3. Brazilians (Militarist or Agrarian)
    4. Chinese (Merchant or Builder)
    5. Germans (Expansionist, Scientist or Militarist)
    6. Indonesians (Merchant or Aesthete)
    7. Nigerians (Aesthete)
    8. Saudi Arabians (Merchant)
    9. Soviets (Builder, Militarist or Scientist)
    10. Turkish (Militarist)

Runner ups/DLC Material: Indians, South Koreans, South Africans, Swedish, Finnish, Filipinos, Lebanese, Canadians

4. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

I would be surprised if Prussians weren't in the Industrial era as a militarist culture. There was a list of confirmed cultures via screenshots but I don't have the link.

5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

I think in one of the screenshots prior to the review copy release they had the Germans with the Iron Cross logo, which means we won't be seeing Prussia in the game I bet.

AntSou and Guandao like this.
  6. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Updating my guesses.

Early Modern

Ottomans (Expansionist)
    Spanish (Expansionist)
    Incan (Agrarian)
    Dutch (Merchant)
    Burmese (Aesthete)
    Joseon (Scientist)
    Ming (Merchant)
    Mughals (Builder)
    Tokugawa (Militarist)
    Polish (Agrarian)

Expansion material: Portuguese (Merchant), Congolese (Aesthete), Songhai (Militarist) and Venetian (Merchant).

Industrial

British (Scientist)
    French (Expansionist)
    Ethiopian (Aesthete)
    Iroquois (Merchant)
    Russian (Agrarian)
    Austrian (Expansionist)
    Siamese (Merchant)
    Iranian (Militarist)
    Swedish (Scientist)
    Japanese (Militarist)

Expansion material: Ashanti (Merchant), Zulu (Militarist), Madagascar (Militarist) and Gran Colombian (Expansionist).

Modern

American (Scientist)
    Soviets (Scientist)
    Chinese (Builder)
    German (Expansionist)
    Indian (Aesthete)
    Brazilian (Agrarian)
    Italian (Aesthete)
    Turkish (Militarist)
    South African (Agrarian)
    Indonesian (Merchant)

Expansion material: South Korean (Scientist), Mexican (Agrarian) and/or Argentine (Aesthete), Canadian (Aesthete) and/or Australian (Merchant).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Meluhhan likes this.
  7. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

If they use Joseon to describe early korea then I think they will definitely use Korea for a later era, just like how they use the franks instead of the french for medieval. I would like to see the Italians in the next era as Scientist or Aesthete. Italy's scientific and cultural revelations being recognized in Humankind would be great. If they must, use the venetians as merchants for the early modern and then include italians in Industrial. I wouldn't be surprised if Americans are expansionist.

CivLuvah likes this.
  8. Guandao

Does the Iroquois make sense in the Industrial Era? I thought they were largely subjugated by the 1800s, unless you count the 1700s as "Industrial".
    I'm starting to doubt we will see any North American Indians in Humankind.

9. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I usually think that the industrial age goes from 1750 to 1899.

Maybe Iroquois make more sense for early modern, but we already have too many names there :p.

10. mitsho

mitsho Deity

They would fit if you want them to encounter „the British“ (= Americans) and the French. It‘s the same reasoning why I would put the Mughals into Industrial.

We will be starting with the Dutch unless of course they manage to mess up the alphabetically first culture card three times in a row... :)

11. Guandao

Could an African faction be present in the Early Modern Era? Ancient Era has Nubia and Egypt. Classical Era has Aksum. Medieval has the Ghana Empire. It seems like Amplitude are trying to put at least one African culture in each era.

The Americas have the Olmecs in Ancient, the Maya in Classical, and the Aztecs in Medieval. Not sure if they will pick another Mesoamerican faction for Early Modern, or choose the Inca or Iroquois. The Andes hasn't gotten any representation so far. Same with the Amerindians north of the Rio Grande. Both would require different city styles from the Mesoamerican ones, so maybe they aren't present at all in the base game?

The Ming (mentioned as one of the three Chinese factions with Zhou and PRC), Koreans (mentioned in OpenDev), and Japanese (mentioned in OpenDev, Samurai have been spotted) all seem likely for Early Modern.
    While the Dutch (Fluyt on the chart?), Spanish (not sure if semi-confirmed, but definitely would be best fitted for Early Modern), Polish (a Winged Hussar was spotted somewhere?), and Venetians (Galleass on the development chart?) all seem to be in.

The Ottomans seem likely too. I'm not sure about the Mughals. Perhaps we will get the Indians in the Contemporary era instead, for a total of three South Asian factions (Harappans, Mauryans, Indians).

12. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

It will probably be Ethiopia if so. They were a significant civilization in that era, especially in regards to how they fended off the Mamluks and other Muslim powers.

13. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

If a sub-Saharan faction can be present in the Early Modern Era, my guess would be the Kongo.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I want to say that an Iroquois icon/unit had been spotted already somewhere.
    The Iroquois reached their territorial peak during the Early Modern Era. If we get an Industrial Era culture for Native America I could see the Sioux/Lakota.

15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Where may I ask?

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

There's also Songhai considering they went with Ghana in the medieval.

Unfortunately I've been trying to look and don't remember. I could just be crazy. :crazyeye:

Guandao likes this.
  17. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

You may be crazy, but I remember hearing about a mohawk unit sometime back

j51 and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  18. Alexander's Hetaroi

That was probably it.

19. BuchiTaton

BuchiTaton Warlord

I would prefer Ethiopia at Industrial, not just to fight back Italians, but also to make place for Early Modern Somalis. After all Ethiopia already have Aksum.

Along with Somali sultanates, Kanem-Bornu is another nice and seriously underrated option for Early Modern Africa. You could go Somalis (early modern) to Omani (industrial), and the Kanembu dont overlap with Ghana/Mali like the Songhai.

At Industrial I would love to have Ashanti (Akan) and/or Oyo (Yoruba) over the Zulu.

Guandao and j51 like this.
  20. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think that either Kilwa, Swahili, Somalia and even Ajuuraan make good choices for early modern East Africa. I don't expect any of them though.
    I expect Morocco to make an appearance, either in Early Modern or in Industrial, the latter being less likely to me.
    For other post-early modern Africa representations, South Africa, Ethiopia & the Arabic Republic of Egypt seem most likely. Left field choices would be Nigeria or Algeria.