1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Hungary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Jkchart

Jkchart King

Yes please, this

2. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Looks like a gameplay demo Thursday 3pm according to the popup I got on Steam.

Siptah, Kjimmet, bbbt and 4 others like this.
  3. krokobone

krokobone Chieftain

I have to say I'm really happy to see that Hungary finally made it into the series. :) The unique abilities look solid, though I was hoping they would be a bit more culture-oriented (the rule of Matthias was much like a cultural golden age for Hungary), but it looks pretty nice anyway.

Guess I won't have to think anymore about which new civ I will try out first :)

OzzyKP, AbsintheRed and SammyKhalifa like this.
  4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think their culture will be pretty decent with the district building bonus.

krokobone likes this.
  5. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Great idea. They mentioned in the live stream that there is something new being done re agendas. I'm hoping it includes the banishment of late game agendas (like the air force one) to...well the late game! Each Civ gains a 2nd random agenda at the Enlightenment; or something like that.

Kjimmet, bbbt, Kimiimaro and 3 others like this.
  6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think the example of that that annoys me most is when Norway gets on me for not having any ships in my totally landlocked nation.

Yeah, come raid me with your boats, jerk. That sounds like a well thought-out plan.

7. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Maybe Harold foresaw the Swiss winning the America's Cup, and figured if they could do it... :lol:

8. criZp

criZp Emperor

At least he's pretty chill about it when he comments on your weak navy. Other leaders always react super mad when you don't fulfill their agenda.

9. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Don't know how it is in other countries but in The Netherlands the little bit of history we get taught at school was mostly about our own country and international stuff that affected our country. Hungary, and the rest of Eastern Europe didn't play much of a role overhere. Likewise I know relatively little about the Amerian Civil War and stuff like that. Introducing lesser known Civs into the game does bring a lot of "new" history for me.

10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yep, similar in Canada. We learned Canadian history, a lot about the history of the "New World", but outside of WW1/WW2, only a little here or there about general history. I probably know more history from my years playing Civ than I actually learned in class.

11. Patine

Patine Deity

Does Matthias Corvinus get Vlad Tepes Dracul on his payroll, like he did historically?

Stomper66 likes this.
  12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I probably know more history just from Civfanatics forums than I learned in class. Where I live, we took World History normally freshman year of high school, and U.S. history Junior year. Senior year was Government class. I remember very little from when I was 14. And I didn't think my teacher was all that great. All I remember from that class was the teacher saying there were 7 world wars, not 2. She obviously was including stuff like French and Indian war (7 years war) and other stuff.

13. ExtremeGardens

ExtremeGardens Chieftain

Same here in Thailand. We learned a lot about Thai history and the immediate countries (Cambodia and Burma, mostly), but it was not until I started playing Civ and reading the forums that I even knew that America HAD a civil war. The in-depth discussion regarding European leaders is also how I know about them. I learned so much.

Depravo and ChocolateShake like this.
  14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I took a 300-level history class on Chingiz Khan (way out of my major) because they were my favorite Civ to play. The prof was more of an expert in Middle Eastern studies (studying the Mongols falls between several different areas of expertise), and as I really liked her class ended up taking more and learning more about that area of the world.

All because I picked the Purple civ over the Orange civ. :D

ChocolateShake likes this.
  15. Patine

Patine Deity

Where I live, we were learning about the Aztecs and Chinese in Grade 6. Through Grades 11 and 12, we did a big run on European history from the Middle Ages until the end of WW2 (touching upon Colonialism and the American Revolution along the way). Grade 10 was all Canadian history and government, though. I don't clearly remember what we took in Grades 7-9.

16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Here in the Philippines, during my high school, we learned history this way:
    1st year - Philippines History
    2nd year - Asian history
    3rd year - World history
    4th year - Economics (I know it's not history at all, but the topics are under Social Studies)

All the other history I learned from three sources: books, documentaries, and video games (including, and most especially, Civ)

Of course, this was before they implemented the new K-12 curriculum in 2016.
    Sidenote: I heard from my friends in the Philippines that the curriculum now removes Philippine history from high school to make way for a "world issues" topic or whatever, which is a complete shame and outrage.

rattatatouille, sonicmyst and Depravo like this.
  17. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

And for me it's worth putting up with in order to hear how excited he gets when I build two Galleys.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  18. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Warlord

The last few posts on folks learning from Civ makes me hope that they tone down the snark in the Civilopedia and focus on sharing as much of the history behind each civilization, leader etc. I loved reading the Civ IV,V pedias and want to love the one in VI but cannot.

19. KayAU

KayAU King

I'm late as usual, but here's my take:

Leader Ability - Raven King
    • Levied units gain +2 movement and +5 combat strength
    • Levied units can be upgraded for free (no gold or resources needed)
    • Levying units earns 2 envoys with the city state
    • (Black army unit, discussed below)
    Well, dang. This is potentially very powerful, as it means you can temporarily gain a very large, very strong, very mobile army, and even gain some envoys to offset the cost and protect your investment.

Civilization Ability - Pearl of the Danube
    • +50% production to districts and buildings constructed across a river from a city center
    I love this. There are a few civs which have ways to speed up district production, and many which can build a single district, quickly, but this is definitely among the more flexible and powerful bonuses of that type. What sets it apart, though, is the fact that it also applies to buildings. I believe this will be both very interesting, and very powerful.

Unique Infrastructure - Thermal Bath
    • Replaces Zoos
    • Provides +2 amenities to each city center within 6 tiles (vs +1 for the Zoo) (does not stack)
    • Provides +2 production to each city center within 6 tiles
    • Provides +2 additional amenities and +3 tourism if the city has a Geothermal Fissure
    • Unlike the Zoo, does not provide +1 science for each rainforest and marsh tile
    This is a bit of an odd one, but it seems good. I do not think it will be a big factor, as it arrives fairly late in the game, but it is quite interesting. It has the potential to provide a lot of amenities, so I can see the usefulness if you have a somewhat wide empire.

Unique Unit (Leader) - Black Army
    • Light cavalry
    • Replaces Courser (new unit for Gathering Storm)
    • Probably Medieval Era
    • Strength bonus for adjacent levied units
    This is probably going to be pretty good. For one thing, it replaces an existing unit (a new one which bridges a gap in the Light cavalry line), so you can upgrade into it. On top of that, it then upgrades into the other unique unit. The bonus for levied units is interesting as well, and synergizes with the other parts of the Leader Ability. I imagine medieval Hungary can build a very efficient strategy around a medium sized standing army of Black Army cavalry assisted by levied units from city states. Both the cavalry and the levied units will have great strength and mobility.

Unique Unit (Civilization) - Huszar
    • Light cavalry
    • Replaces Cavalry
    • +3 strength for every alliance
    Again, the fact that we get a replacement unit, which even upgrades from another unique unit, is awesome. The ability is also very nice, and completely different from everything else. Combat strength from alliances is very cool.

Overall, I'm impressed! I'm usually not into conquest oriented civs, but there's just a lot to like here. The abilities are distinct, interesting and seemingly quite powerful. It's also a nice mix of abilities, with some being good for warfare, and others for peaceful development.

I also like the music and overall flavour. :)

This was a good start.

Stomper66, nzcamel, bite and 7 others like this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

As for my "social studies/ history education"
    7th Grade: Texas History
    8th Grade: U.S. History up to Reconstruction
    9th Grade: World Geography
    10th Grade: World History (though once we got the Middle Ages and past Islam, it became European History until we talked about the Americas during the age of exploration and Japan during world War II.)
    11th Grade: U.S. History (The regular classes learned from the Reconstruction to the present day, however I did college credit and my class went over the whole history).
    12th Grade: Government 1 semester/ Economics 1 semester.

Once I got into college I took more classes that interested me such as the Holocaust, Native America, the French Revolution and Napoleon, America during the Interwar Years, and East Asia to 1800, however I still feel like I learn something new everyday on here. Before Civ 6 I didn't know about the Mapuche or much about the Cree since they aren't talked about in the U.S.

To get back on topic: As for Hungary, the only time I ever heard it being talked about in classes was when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I also never knew that they have that many thermal baths that are popular tourist sites. So to see this take on it in this game is pretty cool.

TahamiTsunami likes this.