Hunnic Mountains

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
I'm having a weird problem when playing as the Huns. I'm basically just trying to unlock an achievement at a higher than usual difficulty by playing a tiny map and just steam rolling them as the Huns. But every time I play, there's a mountain chain making progress virtually impossible. Literally, in both maps, one of the Civilizations was protected by mountains with a one tile opening and that was it. I would normally chalk it up to bad luck except I don't think I've ever seen a chain like that before and I've now seen it twice with the Huns. Is there some special balancing feature with the Huns to protect them from beating everybody?

I only played as the Huns once, and got islands - but flat islands...

I've seen those kinds of mountain chains; in one game they protected America, making my Songhai domination victory impossible (they were bordered by powerful Siam to one side, and by a large lake to the other, so I eventually just ran out of time trying to finish them off).

I'm having a weird problem when playing as the Huns. I'm basically just trying to unlock an achievement at a higher than usual difficulty by playing a tiny map and just steam rolling them as the Huns. But every time I play, there's a mountain chain making progress virtually impossible. Literally, in both maps, one of the Civilizations was protected by mountains with a one tile opening and that was it. I would normally chalk it up to bad luck except I don't think I've ever seen a chain like that before and I've now seen it twice with the Huns. Is there some special balancing feature with the Huns to protect them from beating everybody?
You can try changing the map settings. Old earth reduces mountains. Pangaea and low sea levels reduces islands. You can also tilt the game towards your advantage by choosing Marathon settings.

I've seen those kinds of mountain chains; in one game they protected America, making my Songhai domination victory impossible (they were bordered by powerful Siam to one side, and by a large lake to the other, so I eventually just ran out of time trying to finish them off).
Well, Battering Rams work just fine in an amphibious attack (still net +250% attack).

Well, Battering Rams work just fine in an amphibious attack (still net +250% attack).

Playing Huns is a race against time for early conquests. Having to research Sailing and Optics on top of the tech paths to The Wheel and Bronze Working will still slow the Huns significantly.

Play the Great Plains map?
I won on Deity using the Mongols against Gandhi, glad to see other people are using sneaky techniques too to claim achievements :)

Granted, I don't normally go with sneaky victories, but there's a point where a higher difficulty is no longer fun. At that point, it makes sense to just get the achievement over with.

Do it on great plains - no mountains in the middle and lots of horses early :). Or you could set the earth as 5 billion and set it to dry for fewer forests etc.

Playing Huns is a race against time for early conquests. Having to research Sailing and Optics on top of the tech paths to The Wheel and Bronze Working will still slow the Huns significantly.

Nah, Huns won't need anything else except for the wheel, bronze w. and horseback riding. (Immortal and below) So, Optics might come useful after 'needed' techs are done, you never know.

I also noticed wierd mountain ranges while playing as Attila, even with 5 bil. maps.

OK, glad I'm not the only one (I was using 5 byo maps too). I played on Great Planes to remove the problem. I won the game on Turn 49. I don't think I've ever felt so cheap playing a game of civilization since Civ2 had the Cheat option. Seriously, that was scarily easy.

Top Bottom