huns vs immortals

bizwan

Chieftain
Supporter
empire difficulty. I'm not that good yet. The immortals get wiped out and I lost the city. Seems rather tough since the Huns can't even get into the city. Screen shots show each turn. Depressing.

I'm not wild about the combat system, but I'm sure (one day) I'll get used to it.

upload_2021-8-31_12-36-39.png

Attachments

• damnhuns.docx
    21.3 MB · Views: 43
To beat the Huns you need:
- more spears than they have horses
- wide open terrain so you can surround them
- ideally first mover advantage

Any kind of chokepoint works hugely in their favour because they can make multiple ranged attacks each round, while you're lucky if you can get in one or 2 hits. You need to be in terrain that lets you attack every round with every unit.

That terrain looks pretty bad for fighting Huns. Is there a wider space away from your city that you could have engaged them in?

Alternatively the terrain to the East of Thebes looks perfect. If you can fight them there next you could get a better result.

Turn every pop you have into a spear (as long as you can afford the upkeep), you can turn them back into pop after you win.

Some other tips:
If I have any kind of advantage when fighting the Huns I'll also try to burn any nearby high-food outposts to stop them spawning.
If I can keep them peaceful I will pay for it unless I think I can beat them. This usually means trying to avoid making any enemies at all during Ancient.

To beat the Huns you need:
- more spears than they have horses
- wide open terrain so you can surround them
- ideally first mover advantage

Any kind of chokepoint works hugely in their favour because they can make multiple ranged attacks each round, while you're lucky if you can get in one or 2 hits. You need to be in terrain that lets you attack every round with every unit.

That terrain looks pretty bad for fighting Huns. Is there a wider space away from your city that you could have engaged them in?

Alternatively the terrain to the East of Thebes looks perfect. If you can fight them there next you could get a better result.

Turn every pop you have into a spear (as long as you can afford the upkeep), you can turn them back into pop after you win.

Some other tips:
If I have any kind of advantage when fighting the Huns I'll also try to burn any nearby high-food outposts to stop them spawning.
If I can keep them peaceful I will pay for it unless I think I can beat them. This usually means trying to avoid making any enemies at all during Ancient.

Well. I (mistakenly) figured if the immortals were sitting inside fortifications, they would be good, especially since Huns can't jump fortifications. Since they can't get into the city, how can they take it without a siege? I set up the city before the Huns were a bad thought. Many bad assumptions. How you learn, I guess.

Well. I (mistakenly) figured if the immortals were sitting inside fortifications, they would be good, especially since Huns can't jump fortifications. Since they can't get into the city, how can they take it without a siege? I set up the city before the Huns were a bad thought. Many bad assumptions. How you learn, I guess.

I guess you could just wait them out, but you'd need to hold your troops at least one tile back? Huns can't enter your city and only have 1 tile range, but they can kill anyone on the edges. Would that work?

I guess you could just wait them out, but you'd need to hold your troops at least one tile back? Huns can't enter your city and only have 1 tile range, but they can kill anyone on the edges. Would that work?

I tried that. They kill the immortals and win the battle without entering the city. I guess if you had a five tile city with the center isolated and populated, that would work. I'll try that if I can build enough districts before the Huns arrive.

Hmm yeah, you'd need 3 districts to block that gap

I hadn't thought much about placing districts for city defense but in the right places they could be very useful to hold off the AI, who likes to attack the same place over and over

Top Bottom