1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunters on Border protect ignore passive animals

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by flabbert, Feb 21, 2018.

1. flabbert

flabbert Warlord

I have turned off Animals stay out, and planned to use a couple of hunters to eliminate animals within my borders. But even hunters seem to ignore them. And basically just walk around them. This will get somewhat cumbersome in late game when i have to manually deal with these little pests myself

Not exactly a groundbreaking bug, but i guess something to be aware of

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

3. flabbert

flabbert Warlord

Border protect works well normally so i thought they would work for clearing animals like this, maybe the hunters dont see them as a threat, even though it feels workers are giving them a wide berth when automated.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It's not that they don't see them as a threat, it's that when they evaluate to attack, the old assumption that an animal to hunt could never show up inside your borders is still being used as an evaluation filter so as to try to minimize the amount of plots that get evaluated for such a potential decision so as to save on processing time. It's probably an easy fix to just disable that filter and let them evaluate all potential plots within view for animals.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Looking at the code, it seems it might be the opposite issue to what I was thinking. Border Patrol keeps units from going too far away from the border to attack. Is that the issue here? There's also a 'minimum' odds... I'm wondering if that's the inverse of what it should be set at - MAXIMUM odds rather than minimum.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ah... I think I found it. Odds OVER 99 get ignored with current coding. It used to be a range of odds from 1-99 but some changes have made it possible to have 0 and 100%. The AI did not realize this. I think this is the issue but if it's what I said above, it's a matter of how far away the unit is and if its inside or outside the border. If you find, after my next commit, that there is a point where you can show the problem specifically (which is hard to do with automation), then sure, share the save. I might be stuck inside a box of thinking but the code looks like it should be working well as it is. Perhaps it is not though.

7. flabbert

flabbert Warlord

ill give it a whirl tonight and see how it goes

8. Shoobs

Shoobs Prince

Check automate hunt for this too, I have caught hunters, rangers, etc never killing animals of less than one strength Many many times ( pigeons, ducks, lizards, macaws, etc ) on size matters. Usually critters that can almost always give a combat promotion.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I think I was deep enough into a common use function that it may work for other hunt routines as well.

10. Shoobs

Shoobs Prince

I always wondered why my hunters but not trackers would ignore those.

11. flabbert

flabbert Warlord

I feel that my hunters are still not taking easy kills that are close to them, ill upload a savegame tonight that has a ton of animals inside my borders that can be tested on.

also when i say hunters, i mean all hunter units.

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Your game was already started before these changes. In some instances it takes a new game for the changes to show up. Not sure if this is one or not. But since it is a BUG function.....

13. flabbert

flabbert Warlord

Ok, can start a new game then, wanted to have a crack at a higher difficulty anyway.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Quite possible. I'd be willing to look at a save for this.

15. flabbert

flabbert Warlord

Here is the game, it seems that lizards and pigeons in particular are avoided by any and all border patrol units. or maybe they just spawn too fast, i am unsure. its good for testing either way

Attached Files:

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

17. flabbert

flabbert Warlord

I am curious if the hunters prefer units "further away in vicinity" before the ones close, which makes them walk around the close units a lot more, as if its trying to maximise use of movement.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

no... they probably actually prefer closer in first. I'm sure that I just haven't caught all the spots that are blinded by the assumption of the old maximum/minimum odds.