Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Jose, etc.

Not going to call anyone out specifically (since it would be against forum rules) so I'm just going to say I find it extremely...scummy to use natural disasters to bash one's political opponents.

Anyway, I have an aunt in Florida. Talked to her earlier today and she said she is not evacuating. Personally, I think that's a stupid decision with how strong this hurricane supposedly is going to be. Oh well, too late for her to leave now I suppose. All I can do now is hope she makes it through okay.

Of course we did make a bit of a joke about it. My grandmother is a bit of an insufferable person to be around and that's who my aunt stays with every time she comes to visit. So the joke was she had the choice of facing a historically strong hurricane or stay with my grandmother, and she chose the hurricane.

So, your grandma is a liberal?....we are hunkered down....yesterday, we were right in the middle of the cone.....today, we are slightly out of the cone....hopefully it will continue west...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b20e4b0354e44113b7d?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

This article is for those who say Harvey and Irma is due to climate change. The fact of the matter is they don't know yet. They can't predict how the warmer temps will affect storms. But what they do say is it will increase rainfall, which I agree with. Similar to how the Eocene age (epoch) was 50 million years ago. Though they had a cooling later on during that age which you guys should read about, it's pretty interesting and makes you think the planet is self correcting, and we probably shouldn't worry about global warming all that much. Because honestly, the only way to even slow down global warming is stop burning fossil fuels completely. Not these minor reductions in the Paris accords. Complete shut down of burning all fossil fuels (and wood as well). And yes society would fall apart with 90% or so unemployment if we did that. Solar and wind just suck. And stop saying technology will make solar better. It's been 50 years, and solar still isn't much, if any better. I believe Earth forces are more powerful than humans, and the planet will correct itself long after the fossil fuels run out and humans are dead (this is not a bad thing). And in the end, does it matter? The sun will devour the planet anyways. :p

Rush Limbaugh spent his Tuesday show talking about how CNN was over hyping Irma to encourage local retail sales of water and food. On Thursday he fled Florida to a secret location (for security reasons). Today he had a guest host who broadcast from not Florida.
You got some bad reporting (fake news if you prefer). Limbaugh was dumping those that link the hurricanes to climate change. For example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b20e4b0354e44113b7d?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

This article is for those who say Harvey and Irma is due to climate change.
Even the article is dismissive of the link between hurricanes and climate change.

Irma's path is drifting increasingly west. Rather than running up the Atlantic coast and back out to sea, the storm is moving toward the Gulf coast and eventually into Georgia and Alabama. Miami is already in the outer bands, which dump heavy rain and gale force winds. The storm center is not expected to make landfall until the small hours of Sunday morning.
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/09/171517/hurricane-irma-florida-report

J

Finally some good news. :) Jose is moving NW away from the Antilles. Once it gets up to the latitude of Miami, it will button hook to the right and fade away. :cool:

hmm...one heads west and hits Texas, the next turns north over Florida (?) and a 3rd heads up the Atlantic... Is there something to that sequence? Like maybe hurricanes 'drain' energy making the next seek better conditions.

Irma's rebuilding strength as it gets away from Cuba

You got some bad reporting (fake news if you prefer). Limbaugh was dumping those that link the hurricanes to climate change.

So its a conspiracy to get people to go and buy things like stuff to repair your home and batteries becasuse you know people getting smashed by a Hurricane might need "stuff"
And like fill up on "water" because you know you might need "water" or you could just drink the water on the street for free instead.

Maybe being a drug user has caused brain damage.

Limbaugh says Irma hurricane warnings are a scheme to benefit retailers, media, and the “climate change agenda”

RUSH LIMBAUGH (HOST): The reason that I am leery of forecasts this far out, folks, is because I see how the system works. Now, I don’t mean this to be a personal attack on anybody, but the one thing that’s undeniable throughout our culture is that everything has been politicized. And in that sense, much of our public information system, including from the government, from the drive-by media, has been corrupted. It has been corrupted by the individual biases and whatever present bigotry of the people who hold these positions. You can see it in the way the deep state deals with Trump. You can see it with the way the intelligence community and the Washington establishment deal with Trump.

So, in the case of a hurricane, what happens? Well, there are many levels here. When a hurricane pops up -- and we can’t forget Hurricane Harvey because Hurricane Harvey and the TV pictures that accompany that go a long way to helping further and create the panic.

Now, in the official meteorological circles, you have an abundance of people who believe that man-made climate change is real, and they believe that Al Gore is correct when he has written, and he couldn’t be more wrong, that climate change is creating more hurricanes and stronger hurricanes. And, of course, when Harvey hit, it was the first hurricane that had hit in 12 years. There haven’t been more hurricanes and they're no more dangerous than any others in previous years.

But it doesn’t matter because the bias is built in. So there is a desire to advance this climate change agenda, and hurricanes are one of the fastest and best ways to do it. You can accomplish a lot just by creating fear and panic. You don’t even need a hurricane to hit anywhere. All you need is to create the fear and panic accompanied by talk that climate change is causing hurricanes to become more frequent, and bigger, and more dangerous, and you create the panic, and it’s mission accomplished, agenda advanced.

Now, how do you do this? Well, any number of ways. Let’s take south Florida television, for example. There is symbiotic relationship between retailers and local media, and it’s related to money. It revolves around money. You have major, major industries and businesses which prosper during times of crisis and panic, such as a hurricane, which could destroy or greatly damage people’s homes, and it could interrupt the flow of water and electricity. So what happens?

Well, the TV stations begin reporting this and the panic begins to increase. And then people end up going to various stores to stock up on water and whatever they might need for home repairs and batteries and all this that they’re advised to get, and a vicious circle is created. You have these various retail outlets who spend a lot of advertising dollars with the local media. The local media, in turn, reports in such a way as to create the panic way far out, which sends people into these stores to fill up with water and to fill up with batteries, and it becomes a never-ending repeated cycle. And the two coexist. So the media benefits with the panic with increased eyeballs, and the retailers benefit from the panic with increased sales, and the TV companies benefit because they’re getting advertising dollars from the businesses that are seeing all this attention from customers.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/...ailers-media-and-climate-change-agenda/217842

So its a conspiracy to get people to go and buy things like stuff to repair your home and batteries becasuse you know people getting smashed by a Hurricane might need "stuff" And like fill up on "water" because you know you might need "water" or you could just drink the water on the street for free instead.

Maybe being a drug user has caused brain damage.
From what you quoted, you should agree that you had bad reporting. What you quoted is not consistent with:

Rush Limbaugh spent his Tuesday show talking about how CNN was over hyping Irma to encourage local retail sales of water and food. On Thursday he fled Florida to a secret location (for security reasons). Today he had a guest host who broadcast from not Florida.
People take advantage of emergency situations. Do you deny it?

hmm...one heads west and hits Texas, the next turns north over Florida (?) and a 3rd heads up the Atlantic... Is there something to that sequence? Like maybe hurricanes 'drain' energy making the next seek better conditions. Irma's rebuilding strength as it gets away from Cuba
Hurricanes have a hook in their drive. They always pull right. However, they have been known to fade left first.

As bad as this will be for most of Florida, I think Cuba has it worse. Winds over 140 kph raked the northern shore for almost 500 km. Storm surge of 6 m has been reported in the smaller islands, probably also for Cuba. Is this going to be the disaster no one talks about?

J

Last edited:
I am also surprised why so much is talked about Florida, when the real victims are on other Islands. Typical...

It seems reasonable that American people and American news corporations would be more concerned about the damage and risks to American land.

It seems reasonable that American people and American news corporations would be more concerned about the damage and risks to American land.
Unless it's Puerto Rico, of course.

People take advantage of emergency situations. Do you deny it?

Thats right the "Liberal" media can hype up "Fear" for "profit"
I wonder where they could have gotten that idea from ? OH WAIT

Seriously of all the people complaining about media over sensationinalisng things, distorting the news for profit and views
We already know its been going downhill since G.W.Bush, and eventually lead to the election of Trump. The shoe is on the other foot now. Seems rich that this is coming from the Rush

Last edited:
The eye-wall is about to hit the keys.

I had to stop watching because too many weather smucks were getting blown around with the in-studio anchor telling them to "be safe." :mad:

Top Bottom