Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Jose, etc.

What's this about statehood? That does not fit with the rest.

Because of statehood will allow the state to declare bankruptcy. Looks like I was wrong regarding whom was blocking this
Its because its a territory, it has a tax haven status, low taxes and some US companies are incorporated there thus the referendums for statehood have failed. Its best not to force the issue through congress

But between the mountain of debt and the destruction from the hurricane something is going to have to be done.

... the referendums for statehood have failed.

Not the last one.

On June 11, 2017, the people of Puerto Rico voted for U.S. statehood in a nonbinding referendum.Preliminary results showed that almost 500,000 ballots were cast for statehood, more than 7,600 for free association-independence, and almost 6,700 for retaining the current territorial status. Only about 23% of the island’s approximately 2.26 million registered voters cast ballots, leading to statehood opponents to doubt the validity of the result.Puerto Rico’s governor will now select two senators and five representatives to go to Washington, D.C., to ask the U.S. Congress to grant the territory statehood. Despite the size of the vote in favor of statehood, the extremely low voter turnout may lessen the likelihood that Congress will grant the request.

Texas Superfund site is leaking. Thanks, Harvey.

EPA said a sample collected by an agency dive team from the exposed area showed dioxin levels at 70,000 nanograms per kilogram — more than 2,300 times the level set to trigger a cleanup

The resulting birth defects could give rise to generations of mutant Texans. :cowboy:

PR is a total disaster. trump dropped the ball by not taking it seriously. He should have had the military do flyovers and drop food, fuel, water and medicine immediately. Instead he went off on the NFL. Quite sad. I guess he got bored after Harvey and then Irma. He couldn't fly to PR and work in a round of golf after his photo op.

PR is a total disaster. trump dropped the ball by not taking it seriously. He should have had the military do flyovers and drop food, fuel, water and medicine immediately. Instead he went off on the NFL. Quite sad. I guess he got bored after Harvey and then Irma. He couldn't fly to PR and work in a round of golf after his photo op.
There is an article that disagrees.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-09-30/no-trump-didn-t-botch-the-puerto-rico-crisis

J

I see some news stories about the recovery of Puerto Rico after Maria, but virtually nothing from Texas and Louisiana after Harvey, nothing from Florida after Irma, and nothing from any non-US nation at all. What news?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Oh @#%&!...Nate is predicted to hit the Florida panhandle on Sunday as a Category 1. :eek2:

Last edited:
Oh @#%&!...Nate is predicted to hit the Florida panhandle on Sunday as a Category 1. :eek2:

Most of the model runs I'm seeing (2pm eastern time) have it hitting closer to New Orleans. Only a few take it to the FL panhandle.

Most of the model runs I'm seeing (2pm eastern time) have it hitting closer to New Orleans. Only a few take it to the FL panhandle.
Where are you getting these model runs?

Fortunately, Nate is a baby compared to Harvey, Irma, Jose and Maria. The Gulf coast will get a battering, but inland this system will bring welcome rain.

J

It's too early to say about Hurricane Nate. Hurricane Harvey grew from category 1 to category 4 very rapidly right before making its landfall on Houston.

The warm water in the Gulf of Mexico is the major problem.

It's too early to say about Hurricane Nate. Hurricane Harvey grew from category 1 to category 4 very rapidly right before making its landfall on Houston. The warm water in the Gulf of Mexico is the major problem.
And used up a lot of the juice doing it. The water was much warmer in the Gulf, with temperatures well into the 90s (over 25°C).

One wonders what might have happened if Irma was further south. The warmest water was below Cuba, not above.

J

And used up a lot of the juice doing it. The water was much warmer in the Gulf, with temperatures well into the 90s (over 25°C).

One wonders what might have happened if Irma was further south. The warmest water was below Cuba, not above.

J
The meteorologists may define a new "Category 6" when the maximum sustaining wind surpasses over 200 miles per hour.

I'm seeing a definite Category 2, hitting Mississippi or Louisiana. The good news is that is is moving fast, and so it will clear out quickly.

Reminder: Even a Cat-1 or Cat-2 is a frigging hurricane. Be afraid.

Awww only a Cat 2
Its only dangerous when the storm size is massive enough to cause a storm surge ahead of its landfall. Nat isnt that big and the water tempatures while above average is 4 C cooler then when Harvey hit at Cat 5 so we wont see it sitting still and intensifying.

Top Bottom