Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Jose, etc.

Keep in mind that many of those areas in and around New Orleans should probably not been developed in the first place....

Neither New Orleans nor Puerto Rico counts as tragedies, because they're black and hispanic, and as such are assumed to live in poverty and crumbling infrastructure by default.

I mean, they count for me, but not for people like Trump.

The 64 people killed in Puerto Rico turn out to be 4,600.

Puerto Rico’s death toll in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria is estimated to be almost 5,000, according to a Harvard study published Tuesday. Data from this large-scale survey also revealed some sobering information about what life has been like for those trying to manage their health on the island in the wake of the storm.

The study, which surveyed 3,299 randomly chosen households in Puerto Rico over three weeks, found that from Sept. 20 to Dec. 31, 2017, at least 4,645 people died in connection to the storm. The government’s death toll is 64.

Dr. Satchit Balsari, one of the researchers for the study, explained the importance of having an accurate death count not only because of its financial ramifications but also because it gives families a sense of closure. “It’s important to acknowledge what happened and why they lost their family members,” he told reporters in a conference call on Tuesday.

Researchers calculated this new alarmingly high death toll and gathered facts about causes of death, displacement and infrastructure loss in the months after the storm. The information paints a distressing picture of the sort of challenges that millions of Puerto Ricans faced after Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria ravaged the island in September of last year.

The study’s numbers aligned with previous media reports and analyses that the death toll was likely in the thousands. The researchers’ findings are dismaying but, unfortunately, are surprising only in their magnitude.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...o-rico-death-toll_us_5b0d91d1e4b0568a880f2998

5000! :eek:

We should just make them a state already.

They are just as important as Hawaii right?
It's right there in the 1940 Republican Party Platform.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=29640

Oddly enough, it is still in the 2016 Republican Party Platform on page 30.
https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Last edited:
Thats because Republicans of the 1940s are the party of Linlcon that all changed during the civil rights and southern strategy
Now its the Republicans that are blocking PR statehood while its the Democrats which want to grant statehood
The current GOP are using Lincoln as a fig leaf.

5000! :eek:

We should just make them a state already.

They are just as important as Hawaii right?
It's right there in the 1940 Republican Party Platform.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=29640

Oddly enough, it is still in the 2016 Republican Party Platform on page 30.
https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf
Puerto Rico would have to apply for statehood, and they voted it down. They would have to pay income tax.

No. Not like Hawaii. More like West Virginia, only 1/8 the size and much more crowded. To realistically make a Carribean state, you would need either Cuba or several islands. I have long thought Cuba was the most likely 51st state.

J

Puerto Rico would have to apply for statehood, and they voted it down. They would have to pay income tax.

No. Not like Hawaii. More like West Virginia, only 1/8 the size and much more crowded. To realistically make a Carribean state, you would need either Cuba or several islands. I have long thought Cuba was the most likely 51st state.

J

Acreage is a prerequisite for statehood? When did that happen?

J
It's not the size; Its how you use it.

J

Anchulsss ?
PR narrowly failed, but the most recent referendum has seen overwhelming vote for statehood. I guess being a tax haven isnt so great when you need disater relief and your economy is screwed by mandated US shipping cost. Its kinda too late most of the population of PR are simply moving to the US to escape poverty and for a better life

Anchulsss ?
PR narrowly failed, but the most recent referendum has seen overwhelming vote for statehood. I guess being a tax haven isnt so great when you need disater relief and your economy is screwed by mandated US shipping cost. Its kinda too late most of the population of PR are simply moving to the US to escape poverty and for a better life
I heard 1,000,000 have fled to the mainland. Welcome new voters! [party]

Top Bottom