Hurrying banks - Worth the Gold?

I rush temples in cities bordering a foreign culture to prevent them from flipping over and in cities taken by war or culture-flip to prevent them from flipping back. Pretty much the standard strategy, I suppose. I rush barracks and harbours if I'm feeling vulnerable, especially during war. If I rush libraries it's more often than not in my core cities.

If you have a city producing 20 shields per turn and want to build knights, a normal build would take 4 turns but wastes 10 shields. After the first turn, you can switch production to a 30 sh unit (eg settler), rush this for 40g and then switch back to the knight getting it a turn quicker for just 40g.

wow, I would have never thought of that :eek: things like that just pass me by :confused: I'll be sure to use that when the opportunity comes, thanks :goodjob:

LoopyLewis said:
Basically, I did what you guys suggested - except I ended up rushing several courthouses in really corrupted cities (I thought they deserved them but what do you think about rushing courthouses?)
:mischief:
truepurple page 1 said:
Save that gold for for rushing courthouses ....

As far as switching, rushing and switching back. Seems kind of a hassle. Too much of one to bother for me. I produce different military units in cities based on which unit type is most efficient to produce and just dedicate that city to that unit type.

Like if one city can produce musketman and knights in the same amount of turns and another musketman in less turns then knights, the first one would produce knights, the second musketman, till city production changes.

If the difference is 1 turn in both cities but one produces both in less turns overall. I'll produce the mustketman in the less turns overall city because thats a better ratio. A less work sort of micromanaging.

TruePurple said:
:mischief:

As far as switching, rushing and switching back. Seems kind of a hassle. Too much of one to bother for me. I produce different military units in cities based on which unit type is most efficient to produce and just dedicate that city to that unit type.

Like if one city can produce musketman and knights in the same amount of turns and another musketman in less turns then knights, the first one would produce knights, the second musketman, till city production changes.

If the difference is 1 turn in both cities but one produces both in less turns overall. I'll produce the mustketman in the less turns overall city because thats a better ratio. A less work sort of micromanaging.

Agreed, that's what I generally do. :goodjob:

Fair point. Personally I think that this type of mm is worth it but each to his own. Note it doesn't have to be applied to units-it just an idea that uses the sheild producing capacity of the city with a bit of cash to do the middle bit of the production. Eg you have a 40-50sh/turn city that is building a coal plant and you want it fast. Short rushing a colosseum after one turn and then switch back to a coal plant gives you a powerhouse much more efficiently.

BTW I don't tend to build muskets anyway unless I'm really up against it so your example is not an option for me.

Well bombardiers/ships then, but defenders have great use, guarding bombardiers, workers by the front line, cities by the front line. They defend freeing up other units to attack(and defend the attackers) I don't understand what some people have against defenders. When the AI makes stacks of attackers with no defenders, I think.. ohhh easy prey.

If thats specific to musketman, those are a 33% upgrade to defense and double attack from pikeman (not that you use the attack much, but on rare occasion)

Back to the topic, don't rush banks unless a city on a peninsula or island but not too corrupted. Yes, rushing them frees up other production but so does rushing alot of stuff. Too many other uses for gold to be worth it.

Plus, I personally devote as much to research as I can or happiness if I need to. Often the percentage to gold barely makes the bank productive. Certainly questioning putting the stockmarket in anything but my most productive cities, even though I am commercial in my current game. (3 gold a turn)

Own said:
I would rush it. Even though its ineffecient gold wise you can start on your next project quicker.

Excellent point. Especially in the capital and core cities, you want to be producing military units while the outlying cities develop

Ah, so you'd rush it, even though it would be a waste of money, so that you could build units in the future without having to waste time building

good idea :goodjob:

Top Bottom