Husky-01

Whomp

Keep Calm and Carry On
Retired Moderator
OK here's the thread for Chukchi Husky's first "succession game" (SG).
Here are the settings:
This save is in Conquests
civ Spanish (randomly selected)
7 random opponents
Standard map size
Continents
Romaing barbs
Temperate, Wet, 4 billion year old world
Emperor

We will discuss what civ, map type, climate, barbs, victory condition, play level etc.here.

I am comfortable at most every level except Sid so I'm flexible on all fronts.

This is generally how SG's are played. Let's leave this reasonably loose so we can discuss things without feeling pressured.

The first player takes the first 20 turns then the next player takes 10 turns then the next player takes 10 turns rinse and repeat. Generally, we try to say "I got it" within 24 hours and 72 to play. If you need a one day extension, then just ask. Players can work out skips between themselves, just post a message to the thread. If you can't play within 72 total, switch places or ask for a skip. [10 turns each always.]

You can post the save and turnlog here. Try to detail your turns the best you can so we can discuss what our victory plan and goals are. Also, lurkers love seeing pictures so let's try to keep them happy. :D

Roster:
Whomp
Chukchi Husky
Taliesin
Punkbass2000
Birdjaguar
Mirc
<Lurker>

SG's are played honorably so I've taken LKendter's set of rules.
The following tactics are PROHIBITED:
Spoiler :

RoP Abuse Tactics - Denying resources, blocking key tiles, RoP rape, or other ways to screw-up a civ via the RoP. A scout in AI territory has an explicit RoP and is subject to this rule.

Peace Treaty abuse - If you get concessions from the AI you must wait for the 20 turns to end before declaring another war.

Resource abuse - You can't disconnect / reconnect a resource every turn for the sake of building cheap units to upgrade with excess cash.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship in the same square not using any movement, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

Mass troop jumping - You can't give away a give a city to transport a large amount of troops to another landmass.

Worker baiting - You can't spread around and sacrifice workers to an oncoming attack. This is often done to avoid losing real units or cities. This takes advantage of the AI failure to prioritize targets.

Standard LK house rules:
1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.

2) Worker blockades are prohibited. This prevents things such as fortifying workers along the coast to stop invasions, blocking troops from going through your territory with workers, etc. Workers activity doing something along the coast is fine. The workers must be actively doing something.

3) You may not declare war on a civ if you are currently shipping cash and / or goods to the civ.

4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.

5) Our reputation is golden - please respect it.

6) Self-research is highly preferred, if it is viable.

7) As you probably know barbs are screwed up in C3C. It is preferred that you add the following line to your Civ3 .ini file - noAIpatrol=0. Adding "noAIpatrol=0" to the .ini file turns the annoying patrolling back on for the AIs, but also restores movement to the barbarians.

Yes, keep me happy! As I said in the other thread, I will be lurking.

Edit: Now I saw what you posted in the bday thread of CH. I am in now!

Heh, I thought we'd do a PBEM. Anyway, I don't care too much about the level, whatever Chuchki is comfortable with works for me. I haven't played single-player in over a year, but I used to play Deity. I usually play settings at random, so I don't care too much in that respect either.

Cool punkbass.

I think we'll try to help Chukchi improve his game with a little training and have some fun beating up on the AI instead of each other.

Checking in. One thing-- I don't have C3C, just vanilla and PTW, so I hope we're not planning a Conquests game. We should also make sure we all have the latest patches.

I am comfortable and always win at Monarch or below, and Emperor or Deity would also be fine. As far as settings go, I usually put everything on Random, so I'm completely flexible, and standard victory conditions or any subset of them would be fine.

That's fine with me Taliesin. I haven't played in a long time but what the heck it's like riding a bike, right?

No problems Chukchi. We'll teach you some things.

I suppose we should decide first whether to play PTW or C3C. I haven't played PTW in a million years so I'd prefer C3C but we should discuss.

I only have conquests installed also.

I suppose I will drop out, then.

(If I may, I will continue to observe.)

lurker's comment: To those of you who think you can't play vanilla/PTW because you've got conquests... look closely. You have all three. ;)

Chukchi Husky said:
I'm here. I lose at chieftain.
@Chukchi Husky: I'd be more than glad to give you some pointers along the way if you want them. I've been in a couple of slugfests with Whomp here... any friend of his is a friend of mine.

scoutsout said:
lurker's comment: To those of you who think you can't play vanilla/PTW because you've got conquests... look closely. You have all three. ;)
In this case, I'm back in. :D

(Unless everybody really prefers C3C, of course.)

lurker's comment: Whomp asked me to roll some starts and I rolled this start.

Here are the settings:
This save is in Conquests [c3c]
civ Spanish (randomly selected)
7 random opponents
Standard map size
Continents
Romaing barbs
Temperate, Wet, 4 billion year old world

<<STARTING SAVE>>

Dang sorry Taliesin please lurk but I think we're best to play C3C. I don't think I remember a thing about PTW.

I like Tubby's start is at Monarch level.

Let's beat the AI at monarch!!

I like the start a lot and think we should use it. Spain makes for an interesting training game because they don't have the strongest traits so we really have think out our moves.

Their UU doesn't come till late middle ages which will add to the challenge.
Religious is not a very beneficial trait unless we wanted to win by culture and the lack of anarchy turns.
Seafaring is a little more interesting since we can send out curraghs immediately to make new friends (or foes) to trade with. We need to use this to our full advantage early.

What do you guys think?

Whomp said:
What do you guys think?
I think this is an intersting start. And I think the team should discuss some opening moves. Where is the power in this start, and how would you harness it? What are the strengths of the civ, and how do you play to those strengths?

If this is Monarch we should aim at a fast or very impressive victory.
CH, no problem if you lose on Chieftain, you will learn very fast.

The start looks very promising.

BTW, we can't declare war before the treaty expires? :eek: This will be hard for me....

Mirc said:
BTW, we can't declare war before the treaty expires? :eek: This will be hard for me....
:D We will play with honor and abide by our agreements.
If the AI declares on us, no problem.

How about our opening moves? Worker? Which tiles? First build? Research path? What knowledge do we have about our opponents?

I have my thoughts but I'd like to hear Chukchi's thoughts since part of this game will be improving his game.

Top Bottom