Hussars are Fun

MarigoldRan

WARLORD
Doing that Polish strat and its fun Slower than knights, but Hussars pack more punch and last longer, well into the Renaissance before they lose their punch.

Wondering if you can do the same strat with Arabia. You're guaranteed a religion and choral music, meaning that you don't need to focus on GPP early on, making early game much safer and easier than Poland (no need to get Holy Sites until much later, allowing faster expansion). Use choral music to get to Feudalism and Mercenary, then beeline Stirrups. Chop 8-10 chariots, upgrade, buy a few Mamluks with faith, and win.

I think it can be done, but the Mamluk's don't fare so well against 60+ STR city garrisons. If you don't mind losing a few (or more) 3 promotion Mamluk's to encampment fire, crossbows and what-not, after assaulting a city garrison then they are equivalent. The chaplain apostle + autoheal @ end of turn doesn't do much good if the unit is dead. The Hussars fare much better going into the midgame in IMO.

Shrug as much and as often as you can, but Arabia cannot build Knights. Mamluks are Arabia’s Knight replacement.

Shrug as much and as often as you can, but Arabia cannot build Knights. Mamluks are Arabia’s Knight replacement.
Was referring to Poland building knights 20-30 turns earlier than Hussars :). I'll grant you they're not Mamluk's, but they beat horses by far and are allot faster than swords.

Use choral music to
That's sort of a different strategy. That is a strategy of getting to feudalism/mercenaries fast... for any civ.
Spent a lot of time looking at it and its quite interesting.... I guess it should have it's own thread.
  1. If you have too much culture early you start missing the inspirations and so the additional culture was not as valuable. This is the problem of building a monument first (play as Rome to see). I find monument before settler does make a difference if there is not culture CS around.
  2. Gaining +2 culture from Amani may be worth more that an early magnus chop.
  3. The 20-30 turn culture output is most important to max out, it seems here the biggest overall gains are made.
  4. Inspirations like for an encampment do make a difference....and also speeds up your chop. Construction is the odd one out, just not worth the effort unless lucky with huts.
The thing is, as hinted at in point 1 you can gain too much culture, sacrifice your pantheon for more culture when you already have some Jade and a culture CS and you really do not gain many turns. Choral also tends to encourage you to chop in temples early while chopping around mercenaries is better. But sure, going for pure dom perhaps it may help... just being devils advocate and clarifying that pushing culture pragmatically rater than dogmatically is sometimes the better answer.

The culture from choral music will get you to feudalism (and thus knights) a lot faster but Saladin can upgrade chariots to knights faster than he can build the Grandmaster's Chapel. It can be useful but there's no reason to wait for it.

That's sort of a different strategy. That is a strategy of getting to feudalism/mercenaries fast... for any civ.
Spent a lot of time looking at it and its quite interesting.... I guess it should have it's own thread.
  1. If you have too much culture early you start missing the inspirations and so the additional culture was not as valuable. This is the problem of building a monument first (play as Rome to see). I find monument before settler does make a difference if there is not culture CS around.
  2. Gaining +2 culture from Amani may be worth more that an early magnus chop.
  3. The 20-30 turn culture output is most important to max out, it seems here the biggest overall gains are made.
  4. Inspirations like for an encampment do make a difference....and also speeds up your chop. Construction is the odd one out, just not worth the effort unless lucky with huts.
The thing is, as hinted at in point 1 you can gain too much culture, sacrifice your pantheon for more culture when you already have some Jade and a culture CS and you really do not gain many turns. Choral also tends to encourage you to chop in temples early while chopping around mercenaries is better. But sure, going for pure dom perhaps it may help... just being devils advocate and clarifying that pushing culture pragmatically rater than dogmatically is sometimes the better answer.

I know of #1 as the "Gorgo problem." That's why you spread your culture research around and stop the moment you hit the point where a breakthrough would give you the civic.

I've actually never managed to win other than Domination. In the midgame I'm like "ok lets go for science," but then I think "ok, but I can get a lot more science if I had more cities and population," so I start spamming horsemen, upgrade them to cav and then win Domination. It's annoying.

Top Bottom