Hut gives settler!

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
I started a new game the other day and had a hut right near my scout. On popping it, I got a settler.

I was actually just starting a game to test what happens with a build queue when you research a new tech (ie building catapults and finish researching steel - what happens to the cat and the associated hammers?) and was just planning to throw this game away. Guess what - I am keeping it and playing it out!

I've attached my 4000BC save and the auto save at the start of the first round for info.

Mahatmajon said:
Nice! What are the other settings...I might have to try this super start and see how quickly I can win :mischief:
No idea - I just clicked on single player and accepted the defaults that I was provided with. I think it is noble, lakes, standard speed.

Edit: Just checked the save and it is Chieftain difficulty.

Huts will not give workers or settlers on Noble or higher. They tend to pop on a regular basis on Warlord and under.

I've gotten settlers on Noble before. It's a nice boost when barbarians come knocking on your borders.

NikNak said:
I've gotten settlers on Noble before. It's a nice boost when barbarians come knocking on your borders.

Hummmm you sure about that, I had read no settlers/workers on Noble and higher and I have played a good 20 games at Noble level and have never popped a setler or worker.

I am pretty sure I got a settler once on noble.

Not sayin' anyone's wrong or right, but just adding some more anecdotal evidence... I've played 25+ games on Noble, and I've never popped a hut for a worker or settler. Mostly I get gold, occasionally a tech, very rarely some experience... I don't even seem to get the barbarian horde very often. Just my $.02.

I've played pretty much only Noble or Prince level. I have popped a settler once, gotten a free tech a couple times, free warrior or scout a couple times, experience a few, mostly gold or maps though.

I think if you want the greatest chance at anything other then gold or maps you need to pop it with a Scout. Plus with a scout there is no chance of barbarians.

I've got settlers from huts a couple of times, but I'm still playing at Chieftain - my first game was on Settler (er... I was just playing leisurely to discover the new gimmicks :) ).

The only way you can pop a settler on noble or higher is if you've been playing with an edited CIV4HandicapInfo.xml file.

These are the default settings under noble:

Code:
<Goodies>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_HIGH_GOLD</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_LOW_GOLD</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_MAP</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_WARRIOR</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_SCOUT</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_EXPERIENCE</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_HEALING</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_TECH</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_WEAK</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_STRONG</GoodyType>
			</Goodies>

No settlers or workers can be popped. If they are, it's a bug, period.

ruff_hi said:
No idea - I just clicked on single player and accepted the defaults that I was provided with. I think it is noble, lakes, standard speed.

You can check the settings either by the Game Info button (same menu where you load and save games, view options, etc) or it is in one of the advisor pages (F10?). I can't remember exactly which one and unfortunately I can't check right now as I am at work, but it will tell you all of the above info.

I just opened the save and it is Chieftain difficulty. As I originally said, I just accepted what ever the game gave me as I was testing something and didn't really care about playing the game. Now that I see it is chieftain - I won't bother with playing it out.

CivFan91 said:
ruff_hi, How'd you get the red theme? I always get blue. :-/
I use a utility called civscale from this post. You can also remove the clouds from the world view!

low said:
The only way you can pop a settler on noble or higher is if you've been playing with an edited CIV4HandicapInfo.xml file.

These are the default settings under noble:

Code:
<Goodies>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_SCOUT</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_HEALING</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_STRONG</GoodyType>
			</Goodies>

No settlers or workers can be popped. If they are, it's a bug, period.

So if my math is right:

15% High Gold
20% Low Gold
10% Map
10% Warrior
5% Scout
10% Experaince
5% Health (what the heck is this, don't think I have seen it?)
10% Tec
10% Weak Barbs
5% Strong Barbs

Does the AI play by the same table?

EDIT ADDED: Since Scouts can't pop barbs how is this adjusted for a scout any ideas?

You can get settlers only on lower difficulties. There is a topic I dont know where about the exact differencesbetween difficulty levels. Getting settlers from goody huts is one of the advantages you can get on lower difficulties.

I played my very first game on warlord and got a settler from a hut.

Been playing on noble/prince/monarch ever sense and have never seen it happen again.

Top Bottom