Hut?

To pop, or not to pop?

• Yes, Yes, Yes. We must pop the hut. :D

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Only pop if we build a city now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only pop if we send settler to build roads.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, No, No. Don't pop it! :eek:

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Jayne

Emperor
This doesn't seem to have been covered in any polls yet, but has been discussed quite alot. Do we pop the hut or not? I plan to move in 24 hours (so apologies to anyone who feels they should have posted this;) ).

Yes Yes, as Military Advisor. I do Recomend that we pop the Goodie Hut :D.

The hut is too far from our capital to suppress Barbs. They are in play at this time.

If the settler is going to build a city, it should build it before the archer moves. Upon reading closer, I see that the settler still has it's movement but the archer does not, so the settler can move to the city site this turn, then found the city before the archer moves. Putting a city on either the hill or forest will suppress barbs. This would be the safest option, and we can still tip the hut next turn.

If the settler is going build a road first, I would still pop the hut next turn. In the unlikely event that the barbs appear and manage to defeat the archer, we should be able to put up a defender in RF in time to use the one city rule for guaranteed defense.

Originally posted by TimTheEnchanter
If the settler is going build a road first, I would still pop the hut next turn. In the unlikely event that the barbs appear and manage to defeat the archer, we should be able to put up a defender in RF in time to use the one city rule for guaranteed defense.
I think it was mentioned before somewhere, but since we haven't played more than 16 turns, iirc, there won't be any barbs hiding in the hut whether we build a city or not.
The only risk is if we get a tech, but you cleared that that wouldn't be such a problem after all:)

I'm sorry, after trying this out myself, I see that after the first city is built, you can get barbs from huts. The 16-turn rule is probably only if you don't build a city.:blush:

go and pop !

Originally posted by funxus
I'm sorry, after trying this out myself, I see that after the first city is built, you can get barbs from huts. The 16-turn rule is probably only if you don't build a city.:blush:
This is news to me :eek: I was going to say barbs are not an issue at all as regards building a city first, but perhaps that is not the case. I think Deciding on whether to build a city on that hill is our first concern. How that decision plays out will effect whether we pop the hut or not. Even then, I don't think barbs are a major concern. They would most likely be horses, and our archer should be just fine.

Barbs are not a problem, but I still think science is. I'm not quite following Tim's argument about off-track techs helping us get to Monarchy faster when they will increase the beakers we need to research it:crazyeye: Perhaps he or someone can explain it a bit better to me?
Until then, the Office of Scientific Research is still recommending to NOT pop the hut until after Monarchy is acheived.

Lively here too! Since we're going to move E and build the city on the Forest (w Fish & Whale), the hut will NOT be within the city radius. Does that matter?

We could move the Settler E, then End Turn, then Pop the hut before building the city. That seems safe.

Originally posted by Leowind
Barbs are not a problem, but I still think science is. I'm not quite following Tim's argument about off-track techs helping us get to Monarchy faster when they will increase the beakers we need to research it:crazyeye: Perhaps he or someone can explain it a bit better to me?
Until then, the Office of Scientific Research is still recommending to NOT pop the hut until after Monarchy is acheived.

Say our current tech approach is going to be:
Currently researching: Ceremonial Burial ~10 beakers
Next Research: Code of laws ~20 beakers
Then we research: Writing ~30 beakers
Finally research: Monarchy ~40 beaker.

for a total of about 100 beakers to research.

If we get Cermonial Burial from the hut we won't have to finish researching it, and our current beakers will apply to Code of laws, meaning, only 90 beakers to research monarchy (Code:20+Writing:30+Monarchy:40)

If we get Code of Laws the cost of our current research will go up, but again we will have one less tech to research on the monarchy path, so we will go Cer-20, writing 30, monarchy 40 for a total of 90.

But here's the kicker- we're stuck with one off-track tech (currently writing) so even if we get Warrior Code from the hut, we'll be able to skip writing so our path will be Cer-20, CoL 30, Monarchy 40 for a cost of only 90 beakers. So no matter what scroll comes out of that hut, we get to monarchy in 90 beakers instead of 100. The only difference is we might get something like HBR or War Code instead of being able to pick Writing.

The one thing that might be worth considering is waiting until Cermonial Burial is complete at the low cost of 10 beakers, so we don't incur the extra cost on it, cutting the cost to 10+30+40=80 beakers if we were to get a scroll but this sounds like it's a few turns away (I haven't been able to look at the save file yet) and our archer has better things to do than to wait around that hut.

Sorry for rambling on. I hope that explanation is clearer.

Originally posted by GaryNemo
Lively here too! Since we're going to move E and build the city on the Forest (w Fish & Whale), the hut will NOT be within the city radius. Does that matter?

We could move the Settler E, then End Turn, then Pop the hut before building the city. That seems safe.

The hut doesn't have to be in the city radius to suppress barbs. It has to be "a distance less than 4" from the city where distance is measured as 1 for each square that shares an edge and 1.5 for each square that touches point-to-point. From the forest square, the hut is 2 squares away directly south (thus point to point) so the "distance" is 3. Since this is still less than the magic distance of 4, barbs will be suppressed and Mercenaries will be much more likely.

If you pop the hut before building the city, our chances should be 20% barbs, 20% gold, 40% scroll, 20% unit. I think if you wait until the 2nd city is built on the forest, you get 0% barbs, 20% gold, 20% scrolls, and 60% unit. A 4 legged exploration unit would be nice to have.

Tim, thanks for the very clear explanation. Your logic *seems* to make sense. I will test it out with the Research Planning utility tonight. Won't be in time to inform our Queen re: her turns, but I'm sure popping the hut is winning out, anyway. Nobody ever pays attention to the scientists :rolleyes: ;)

POP POP POP POP! :D

Top Bottom