Hybrid Affinity Quotes

Galgus

Emperor
Hybrid affinity quotes could improve the game's immersion by outlining them as distinct philosophies with answers that diverge from both of their parent affinities.

Where they would appear and max out is a bit dubious, and it may require a system where affinity is chosen rather than gained as a tech byproduct, but the focus of this thread is on the quotes themselves.

For reference, here are links to the existing Affinity quotes:

Purity

Harmony

Supremacy

As you can see, they generally increase in intensity while addressing various parts of the affinity's philosophy.

My numbering refers to the order in which the quotes would proceed, not the exact time when they would appear.

This is not a complete list, as they are difficult for me to design - all of these sound like early-mid game quotes at the moment.

Feel free to post your own ideas.

Mastery

Purity / Supremacy

1. We came to this world for a hope of a better life. May that hope give us the strength we need. - Excerpt from landing day speech.

2. Every new invention has made our lives a little easier. - Central University commencement speech.

3. My grandfather was a miner. I admired his perseverance, but I'm glad that such jobs have been replaced. - Diary of a Colonial Engineer.

4. I wish everyone could be a writer or an artist, but then who would make the wine? - Flore Chagnon, Franco-Iberian Poet.

5. There have always been people who feared labor-saving technology. And they have always been wrong. - Attributed to Suzanne Fielding.

6. Is wealth without work truly a sin, or is it the ultimate prosperity? - Commentaries on Old Earth philosophy, Mahatma Gandhi chapter.

Ascendancy

Harmony / Purity

1. The purpose of the Seeding was to create a better future for humanity. - Excerpt from the first generation elementary school rubric.

2. We will make this planet our home, one way or the other. - From the Pioneer's Daily Reflection.

3. Many of our ancestors were selected for their genes. Should we not select genes for ourselves? - Andres Holland, Our History and Future.

4. With all the new treatments available, my job is almost too easy. - Commentary by Donna Rowe, colonial physician.

5. Who wouldn't, if given the chance, ensure that their children would be healthier, stronger, and smarter? - Mabel Garner, The Morality of Genetic Engineering.

6. No one truly enjoys their body's limits. - Interview with Erik Salazar, a Transhumanist Psychiatrist.

Voracity

Supremacy / Harmony

1. On Earth, our people suffered from a lack of vision. Never lose your sense of wonder for the possible. - Adrian May, Lessons from the Great Mistake.

2. I saw a worker with a replacement limb today. Imagine if everyone could be that strong! - Myrtle Reed, Child's Dairy.

3. Our greatest limitations are those we impose upon ourselves. - Faye Coleman, Paths Forward.

4. We have been engineering lifeforms since civilization began, and the knowledge pairs excellently with newer mechanical engineering. - Excerpt from Bioengineering Conference speech.

5. You can't stop the future. It can lead you to greatness, or leave you in the past. - Attributed to Duncan Hughes.

6. Humanity is limited. Human innovation is not. - Sign over the New Futures Augmentery.

The way I see it, the Hybrid affinities are opposites of the normal ones (Voracity is anti-Purity, Ascendancy anti-Supremacy, and Mastery anti-Purity), so I'd give them quotes that reflect that sort of sentiment.

Some ideas:

Voracity: "We must let go of old ways. For if we repeat the mistakes of the old world, we are doomed to their fate."

Ascendancy: "Reliance on machines made humanity weak. But on this new world, we can find strength"

Mastery: "This new world is not like our mother Earth; she is cruel and uncaring. But humanity has always been good at rising above nature."

Another thing I might do with Mastery is have quotes that emphasize the master-servant relationship. For example, talking about a 'symbiotic relationship between humans and machines'.

I had two ideas for Ascendancy but I'm not sure where to put the quotes. The 1st I think is fairly appropriate, but it still feels a bit off to me. Either way, its probably a later quote.

"Where once we stood at the brink of extinction, we now stand at the cusp of human evolution."

I also had another one but it included one of the "Extra Hybrid Uniques" that I concocted, the Dyad. So its does not really fit into the base game, unless you could swing the back half. (A Dyad is a pair of psionic supersoldiers resulting from the combination of Immortal and Architect archetypes resulting in born of artificial evolution.)

"Just as we are of two minds, so are we the children of two worlds."

- Dyad Arcturus-Freyja, First Thoughtfire

------------------------------------

Also, something of general note. Ascendancy's unit upgrade prefix is "First", Mastery is "Master", and Voracity is "Elder". So with that information, I'm looking for a new word to use in Mastery's stead.

In flesh I find emotion, in copper I find purpose. In both I find myself whole. First statement from Biodroid Dolly, the first synthetic sapient . (Purity/Supremacy)

@DefiantMars

In a sense that makes Mastery fit more, though Regality could work as a substitute.

Updated the OP with three new quotes.

@DefiantMars

In a sense that makes Mastery fit more, though Regality could work as a substitute.

Updated the OP with three new quotes.

Well, I only don't like it because it would be a duplicate of its name and that would make it out of alignment with the rest of the affinities.

• Harmony - Evolved
  • Ascendancy - First
  • Purity - True
  • Supremacy - Prime
  • Voracity/Ferocity - Elder
  • ??? - Master

It seems your suggestion has become a much stronger candidate.

I broke out in laughter when I read the #5 Entry for "Regality". I think Suzanne's personality is captured quite well in this line. Well done. The rest are quite evocative and quite a few are very poignant.

That is kind of the idea, actually.

They are like nobility with the AIs as their serfs - everyone supported by robotic servants.

Their units have an aristocratic naming scheme in places, like Baron and Countess.

Regardless, ideally I'd like each affinity name to have a different first letter, and one is called Authority.

I think Nobility could actually work. To me, it sounds a bit better than Regality. Noble can be used as both an adjective and a noun. It has the aristocratic master/servant (ruler/serf) implication as well.

Noble societies with Master units; I kind of like it.

Most of my concern with Nobility is that it has a double meaning that does quite fit, while Regality is more focused.

They both work well, though.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I like the characterization of Miss Fielding quite a bit and I think that Mastery/Regality/Nobility (whatever we call it) suits her quite well. This makes me wonder what leaders you associate with what hybrid.

I could see Arshia leaning in the Ascendant direction and I feel like Moon would be inclined towards Voracity/Ferocity.

I could kind of see Lena going for Ascendancy with all her ramblings about advancing.

With Duncan's charitable background I could see him favoring Nobility.

Not sure on Arshia, but I agree on Moon completely. Heck, his Harmony suit looks like it.

Elodie has always been Purity to me even though I'm not a fan of her policies, and I tend to think of Kavitha as Harmony and Kozlov as Supremacy.

Top Bottom