1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Hybrid land-sea trade routes starting from inland cities and passing through coastal cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by jarcast2, Jan 16, 2020.

1. jarcast2

jarcast2 Chieftain

Hi everyone. After a long break I resumed working on my mod projects, and specifically the Etruscans.
    I've read that the major inland Etruscan cities built coastal settlements called epineia (harbor in Greek) to use as sea trading hubs like Pyrgi for the city of Caere and Gravisca for Tarquinii (similar to what Piraeus is for Athens).

I would like to translate this trait in game by allowing hybrid land-sea trade routes originating from inland cities and passing through owned coastal cities conditional on 2 requirements: 1) the coastal city must have built the epineion UB and 2) inland city and coastal city must be connected through road/railroad or river.

To check for the connection condition I found I can use some lua code from here (god bless whoward), so my question is the following:
    Is it possible to code with lua an intermodal trade unit that can move along the road/river plots (or just over land) between the inland and coastal cities like a caravan then continue on water like a normal cargo ship?

2. LastSword

LastSword Prince

Practically no. Technically... no. I wouldn't even bother making it in DLL.

Closest to your idea, would be: upon sending domestic TR from inland city, to coastal, create one-time naval Trade Route (preferable to random target so no extra UI). However, I think one-time Trade Routes are actually quite tricky itself.

Though you can always make UB Harbour constructable in inland cities (granting some special bonuses only there).
    Or if UA, inland cities connected with road to coastal city gain X bonus.
    Or UI canal, in this case you can make inland cities coastal (also for trade routes), but it looks ugly.

Good luck.

3. jarcast2

jarcast2 Chieftain

I see. Then I think I will instead give to the nearest inland city some bonus related to the sea trade routes in the coastal city.