Hypnotism: Snap out of it

Bozo Erectus

Master Baker
I have no problem with real hypnotism. When used correctly, it can help lots of people deal with all sorts of problems. For example, a former coworker of mine used it successfully to quit smoking. What really pisses me off and disgusts the hell out of me is show business hypnotism. You know, where a guy snaps his fingers and people supposedly think theyve been turned into a hamster or something. Lately Ive been watching this buttwipe on TV:

This guys show drives me insane. He does stuff like snap his fingers in peoples face, and then Im expected to believe they cant see people who are standing right in front of them, or they dont know that theyre going through a carwash with all the windows open and getting soaked, or that they get turned by washing machines and start humping it. Then he snaps his fingers again, and suddenly they realize whats been going on:rolleyes:

Youre probably thinking, so whats the big deal? Its just harmless entertainment. My problem with it is that Im finding that lots of otherwise intelligent people actually believe that nonsense on TV is real. That those people are in the complete control of that jackass, and by snapping his fingers, he can make them do, see, or believe anything he wants. People who do whatever a stage hypnotist tells them to do are willing participants in the show. They know exactly what is going on the entire time, who they are, where they are and their reality isnt under the control of anybody. Theyre pretending and happily going along with all of that because they want to, theyre having fun. Thats it.

Get 500 people together in a large room. Tell them that in a moment, a world renowned hypnotist will enter the room and start performing amazing feats with 'receptive' subjects. He comes in, gives them his usual routine, and then begins sifting through the group until he finds the most 'receptive', and before too long, he'll have maybe five people who for God knows what reasons, are willing to make complete jackasses of themselves in front of an audience, and will do just about anything he says. Because they want to.

So thats what stage hypnotism is all about. Its based on the simple premise that theres a sucker born every minute. In any moderate sized group of people, there will always be a certain number of people who want to be the center of attention, and go along with the gag. The stage hypnotist knows it, the 'receptive' subjects know it.

In real hypnotism, just like in stage hypnotism, the subject is also in complete control, a willing participant. It helps people very much in the same way that a belief in Voodoo can help people with all sorts of problems, or Western 'faith healing'. What it does is provide a framework for the subject, where he or she feels comfortable and positive enough to go ahead and do what he/she has wanted to do all along, like quit smoking, or gambling, or lose weight, or get in touch with difficult feelings or memories that are otherwise blocked out as a defensive measure. The former coworker who went to a hypnotist to quit smoking had been wanting to do it for years, but he couldnt on his own. He needed the support of a ritual to suddenly 'find' the strength to take control of himself. Thats fine, I have no problem with that whatsoever. Even though I personally detest Voodoo, if that works for some people, then thats great, too. What Im saying is that, just like the Voodoo witch doctor isnt performing actual magic and banishing evil spirits and his 'patient' is only really healing himself, the same exact principle applies in hypnotism. Humans have an instinctive need for ritual and are very responsive to it. What hypnotism does is fulfill that need in a non mystical, non spiritual way. Its perfectly suited to the modern age.

Phew. Ok I think Im done now. [/rant]

To add more, since I feel the rant deserves a better response:

There are plenty of idiotic shows on TV, and plenty of people to watch them. You can either spend your time griping about one in particular (like, Law & Order or American Idol or Project Runway or all of MTV or Friends or all of FOX News or CNN or MSNBC or... you get the point), or just ignore them all and blissfully enjoy your life, watching what few shows you actually enjoy.

Like you said, there's a sucker born every minute, and he's eventually going to sit down and watch shows designed for suckers. The show is a microcosm of television audiences. Those that are taken in by it are effectively being hypnotized by being swayed into false belief due to an inherent desire to do so, just like those "receptive" people in the show.

It's a show about people with excessive faith or diminished self-control FOR people with excessive faith or diminished self-control.

So, why are you watching it again? Seems like you've been hypnotized into focusing unnecessarily on a negative stimulus for unclear reasons...

The willing hypnotized is such simply because he wants to be so implicitly by not consciously questioning his hypnosis.

I so love late night threads! [pimp]

So, why are you watching it again? Seems like you've been hypnotized into focusing unnecessarily on a negative stimulus for unclear reasons...
Its part of my lifelong fascination with plumbing the depths of human stupidity and gullibility. I get just as ballistic when I see any other sort of con man at work. Im constantly amazed and then re-amazed again at how utterly stupid people can be, if theyre given the chance. Its like that guy, I forget his name, the one on the Sci Fi channel, who supposedly talks to peoples dead relatives. Thats another show that used to drive me up the wall.

@lutzi, half Vulcan ;)

Cheap entertainment, that's about the long and short of it.

I don't like watching it either, but it sells to some, so it'll stay.

I went to a comedy/hypnosis guy. He called me up on the stage w/ another few guys and supposedly hypnosised me to think everyone was naked. I played along as best I could (and got a rise out of the audience by my facial expression when I gazed up a couple of cute girls who were up on stage w/ me but it didn't really work).

That said, I do believe in it SOMEWHAT. I went to some hypnotist a few years back (I had a coupon) who told me my hand was getting lighter and lighter. I sat there far about 3-4 minutes thinking the whole thing was kinda stupid but then, after she gently repeater herself (saying different variations of the same thing) for about 5 minutes my hand did slowly start rising. I could have slammed it back on the table at any time mind you but I kinda let it do what it wanted to do. A few minutes later I was moving it towards my face (per instructions) and eventually touched my nose. It didn't feel like it was a choice I was making, more like a choice to go along w/ it.

Then we did a guided meditation where I met my future self & he was all awesome n' stuff. Was kinda cool. :)

What's wrong with those shows?

Granted, people who are under hypnotism do the things that they would have done anyway. It just releases your inhibitions to do stupid things.

If you don't like mindless entertainment, then good for you! But don't rag on hypnotism's effects. :p

Those that are taken in by it are effectively being hypnotized by being swayed into false belief due to an inherent desire to do so, just like those "receptive" people in the show.

That's an excellent way of putting it. :D I tend to despise these sorts of people as well (and the picture in the OP doesn't help :p), but everyone worth listening to knows that this guy's a waste of time anyway.

What's wrong with those shows?

Granted, people who are under hypnotism do the things that they would have done anyway. It just releases your inhibitions to do stupid things.

If you don't like mindless entertainment, then good for you! But don't rag on hypnotism's effects. :p

I think the complaint is that it's a farce. It's some actor surrounded by enthusiastic participants who pretend to be hypnotized and then the whole thing is portrayed as reality to studio audiences and at home viewers.

I also hate those "ghost in my house" shows. Some stupid people think their house is haunted and a "team" goes to "try to find out" what it is. They usually find a scapegoat who used to live in the house, claim that they feel a "suffering" in a specific part of the house (and the owners of the house are so stupid as to agree) and make it look good on TV.

Its part of my lifelong fascination with plumbing the depths of human stupidity and gullibility.
Good hobby to have. Lots of material available.
Its like that guy, I forget his name, the one on the Sci Fi channel, who supposedly talks to peoples dead relatives. Thats another show that used to drive me up the wall.
Don't get me started. Another ballbuster is that Uri Geller arsewipe who has a show "the new Uri Geller" in the Netherlands that drives me nuts. I never saw it, but other shows love to show parts of it with "Seeing that, you almost have to believe it" comments. No. you. do. not. you. complete. and. utter. imbicile. It's magic tricks. Period.

Don't get me started. Another ballbuster is that Uri Geller arsewipe who has a show "the new Uri Geller" in the Netherlands that drives me nuts. I never saw it, but other shows love to show parts of it with "Seeing that, you almost have to believe it" comments. No. you. do. not. you. complete. and. utter. imbicile. It's magic tricks. Period.
:lol: They're running the same show in the Netherlands as well? Oh my....So far I have (luckily) only seen the trailer and it made me want to get violent....

I saw a stage hypnotist once. He used reflex responses such as ticklishness to show that his hypnotism was real.
I was more interested in the performance after his though.

I can't understand why so many people, a bit more in the US than in Europe, but in both anyway, believe in such crazy things

Youre probably thinking, so whats the big deal? Its just harmless entertainment. My problem with it is that Im finding that lots of otherwise intelligent people actually believe that nonsense on TV is real.

Of course, some of it is real and some isn't; Sometimes you can tell and sometimes you can't. On TV it doesn't really matter that much, because a lot of the stuff you've been watching before you channelsurfed to a hypnotist act wasn't fully real anyway (even though the word 'reality' might have been marketed with it)

Full disclosure: I have a couple friends who do stage hypnosis shows. One of them has been doing shows for well on a couple decades now. I've personally been to three different stage hypnotists' shows, all with friends that are also familiar with hypnosis.

Most of the people onstage aren't faking it. It depends on the individual hypnotist whether they'll send people back to their seats if they're not really under. And yes, for the most part they can tell. The process they go through is to weed out people who aren't suggestible. The initial weeding (the inviting people onstage) is where people who don't want to be embarassed are weeded out, because they generally don't go up in the first place. So the 10-20% that remain are both suggestible and are effectively already agreeing to "be controlled."

Stage hypnotists have different styles for their shows, too. Richard & Genie essentially frame the show but let their subjects provide the comedy; the audience essentially is laughing at what the subjects do/say. Frank Santos is almost the opposite (and it sounds like his style is more what your rant is directed at), he is more directive of what the subjects do, and the audience is more laughing at them than with them. I personally won't go to any more Frank Santos shows.

I once saw a hypnotist perform at at a social night when i was working for a large american corporation at their international hq.

Unfortunately, my career has plateaued since, but I was particularly impressed by the way one of the local gods was put under by the hypnotist, not to mention what he was put through afterwards.

Point is, this was not an individual who could afford to be perceived by his rarified peers as in any way suggestible.

He was also not the sort of individual you could joke about it with the next day, so I never did hear about the subjective experience.

So it impressed me.

Top Bottom