Hypothetical MCPC

Sildo

A circle
I have designed a Media Center PC with it's main purpose being a DVD player, TV recorder, and occationaly a computer with internet connection. This system is not yet built, and may never be built, even if it is technicly possible. I just wanted to see if anyone here could tell me if this system could be attempted.

nMEDIAPC HTPC The case ($125)
Foxconn micro ATX The motherboard ($76)
Just PC 350 watt The power supply
Athalon 4400+ The processor ($458)
Corsair 2X512 The memory ($68)
Seagate 400GB The hard drive ($250)
Windows media center editition The operating system ($130)
Hauppauge 1062 The TV tuner and remote ($90)
NEC DVD/CDThe DVD drive ($39)
The whole system costs a total of $1285. The monitor/TV and other periferals are not inculded in the cost, as they don't effect the system's viability.
Right now my biggist fear for this system is the 350 watt power supply.
Also, any comments on changes that could be made would be appreciated.

Though Dell HP and etc will try to tell you differently, I think it is a complete waste of money to put a dualcore CPU in a "media" PC. You need to be doing some seriously CPU intensive stuff to need two cores, and playing DVD and recording TV doesn't even come close. I would get an upper-midrange Athlon64 CPU (3200 or 3500, maybe 3700), which will supply far more power than you'll come close to using.

The PSU *should* be fine, but personally I would drop it for something from a more reliable name (Seasonic, Antec, etc) in the 350W range.

I can only echo what Speedo said. :goodjob:

Um, you can go ahead and get the dual core and have the second core dedicated to folding for CFC, so I wouldn't say it would be a waste to get it.

Um, you can go ahead and get the dual core and have the second core dedicated to folding for CFC, so I wouldn't say it would be a waste to get it.

Depends on whether or not he's willing to devote $250 or so to F@H ;)

Speedo said:
Depends on whether or not he's willing to devote $250 or so to F@H ;)

Let's do a poll!! :lol:

Thanks for the advice I will now use a 3200+.
With the extra power do you think I could get a second hard drive?

my question is, what gfx card do you want in there? Something like and ATi all in wonder 2006 will be good since this is a media center pc. but the card is pretty expensive so you might have to scale it back

I probably won't have any gfx card, it would use too much energy and I won't need it for just surfing the internet and recording TV.

Sildo said:
I probably won't have any gfx card, it would use too much energy and I won't need it for just surfing the internet and recording TV.

You mean using onboard graphics?

Doesn't that really damage performance?

And won't the graphics be EXTREMELY poor?

I don't know... maybe I am wrong!

You mean using onboard graphics?

Doesn't that really damage performance?

And won't the graphics be EXTREMELY poor?

Presumably a media PC wouldn't be used for gaming.

still, better to have something in there just in case, plus the tv content will look much better with an add-on gfx card.

A graphics card won't do crap for TV content - that type of stuff is handled by the main CPU.

When you're know that a PC won't be used for gaming, it's a 100% waste of money to put a graphics card in it.

well, if no gfx card at least get a good monitor/tv since a crappy one screws up the experience as well.

Speedo said:
A graphics card won't do crap for TV content - that type of stuff is handled by the main CPU.

When you're know that a PC won't be used for gaming, it's a 100% waste of money to put a graphics card in it.

Interesting, so only games and such rely on a graphics card? So, say, if I was watchin a movie that would be solely reliant on my CPU?

Videos cards currently are only useful in a 3D environment, either OpenGL or DirectX. Things like games, 3D design/CAD programs (3ds Max, Maya, Lightwave, Rhino, etc), and with the release of Vista, the Windows GUI, if you choose to use Aero Glass.

Speedo said:
Videos cards currently are only useful in a 3D environment, either OpenGL or DirectX. Things like games, 3D design/CAD programs (3ds Max, Maya, Lightwave, Rhino, etc), and with the release of Vista, the Windows GUI, if you choose to use Aero Glass.
Interesting to know

Top Bottom