1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I always do the same strategy and win. Including after NFP.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Stringer1313, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Civ games are often boring to me because I do the same strategy over and over and win, including after NFP. I wanted to know what others do. And to be clear, I am NOT a min-maxer - I don't sit there and make any calculations, I just move quickly. Also I only play Emperor, Standard map, Standard speed so I don't know if that's a factor.

In every single game, no matter which Civ, I do the exact same thing:

1) Substantially conquer or eliminate one neighboring Civ by focusing almost 80% of production on military. Now I have twice as many cities as every other civ, at an early stage. This starts the snowball. At this point, I am likely behind all the civs in science and great person points.

2) Send delegations immediately to every civ I meet, which they almost always accept. This moves them into green smiley face.

3) Declare friendships immediately with all Civs with green smiley faces. Except in rare situations, the AI always accepts my friendship if they have a green smiley face. They do this even if I don't follow their agenda. I have always managed obtain 5 declared friendships, which on Standard map is nearly all Civs. At this point, I have immunized myself from war declarations except for 1-2 Civs on different continents which basically means i'm invincible.

3) Once I get alliance civic, I immediately convert all 5 Declared Friendships into 5 Alliances. Now I instantly have 5 alliances, further immunizing myself from wars from all 5. Every single Civ has agreed to transform a friendship into an alliance (sometimes demanding a laughably low amount of gold in the single digits) in every single game I have played. Because the alliance relationship factors are so huge, any leftover grievances from my early conquest of a neighboring civ is completely submerged. And of course I divert all my trade routes to allies and use the policy card that gets me food and production.

4) At this point (probably at Renaissance Era), I have won the game, as follows:

- Diplomacy victory: b/c of my superior wealth, great person points, # of cities, I win every single worldwide challenge without breaking a sweat. None of the worldwide challenges requires me to do anything different, except maybe Send Aid a couple of times. Because I have 5 alliances (and more suzerains also due to snowball effect), I get tons of diplomatic points. In my current game I have 5x more diplomatic points than anyone else, and this was even after I get hit with the CO2 penalty (of which I am a leading cause) AND after I've conquered another civ's capital.

- Cultural victory: This becomes incredibly easy. I often win Cultural Victories even when I don't create a single work of writing/art until the Renaissance or even Industrial age. By then I have snowballed into getting tons of great people, and then of course I do the rock band / seaside resort spam.

- Science victory: I will grant that this is slightly more challenging. Because some Civs will remain ahead in tech, they might start spaceports early. However by this time I have maxed out on Spies. I train Spies in the exact same way each time: Level them up by stealing gold (the easiest one) to prep them to disable spaceports, and then I play Spaceport Whack-a-Mole which is tedious and not fun, but always stops their space race.

- Conquest: I concede that this strategy does not easily lead to a conquest victory.

Does anyone else do the same thing each time?

EgonSpengler and Scrabbler like this.
  2. Scrabbler

Scrabbler Chieftain

Yes, this describes almost exactly the vast majority of my games since Gathering Storm came out. The main difference is that in Step 1 I build a military to defend against attacks and barbarians, but then usually just go for rapid settling instead of conquering other civs. I send a delegation to every Civ on the turn that I meet them and then follow your steps 2-4 exactly. I don't build any more military for the rest of the game and then choose a victory type. I am finding that I can win consistently on Immortal level, despite only being an average player in other games of the series.

One of the problems with the AI behaviour is that they are far too willing to sign unfavourable alliance deals, even if I am about to win and have almost no military. By selling excess resources as part of the alliance deal I can often get 10-30 gold per turn from each civ.

Civ 6 is approaching being a genuinely great game, but as many people have noted the developers really need to add more sources of volatility to the mid to late game to increase tension and make the game more challenging for the human player.

3. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Never made alliances with AIs, are there any alliances useful? Except for the Military one?

4. JesseS

JesseS Warlord

Yeah, generally, at least if you aren't going to conquer the entire world. Cultural alliances can let you forward settle the AI, and having any alliance is good for trade routes if you're running Democracy and Wisselbanken. Plus alliances give you diplo favor that you can sell to the AI (or control World Congress, if you care about that).

EgonSpengler likes this.
  5. AlanC9

AlanC9 Chieftain

For a different experience, you could try not doing step #1

pokiehl, Bibor, Tech Osen and 2 others like this.
  6. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

agree with @JesseS ... if you care to slot the cards for it, your trade route yields end up being huge... if your playing tall it's not worth it much, but if your get in the 15-20+ trade routes range, it gets to be quite interesting...

EgonSpengler likes this.
  7. Pure24

Pure24 Warlord

I can see how it can get boring. Not for me though.

I have two approaches towards games; the first is trying to squeeze every bonus out of the the civ I'm playing and play optimally.

The second is how I usually play. I try to role-play. I think about what that civ is (not historically, just my head canon) and then play to their strengths.

Sometimes, I match the civ's design to the role play. For instance, Indonesia will get island maps

Socrates- likes this.
  8. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

No, I don't do it. I never play below huge map size and with less then 11 opponents - I rather increase the number. I don't doubt that your setup and strategy is a nice way if your goal is constantly winning. But it is also guaranteed boredom, IMHO. Civ6 has issues with passive and too-easy-to-befriend AIs anyway, so the least I will do is rig the setup and put the game even more in that wrong direction. My big hope is that the crashes on larger-then-huge-maps get ironed out at some point, then I will go for the maximum number of opponents possible. It will not fix everything, but it can only get better.

Equilin and acluewithout like this.
  9. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Warlord

Well....you are always playing on the 3rd hardest difficulty. Obvious suggestion would be to move on to the 2nd or even 1st hardest? You could also try different map types, assuming you always do continents from what you said.

Immortal will make things harder, don't get me wrong, but I've played only on Deity for a while now so that's what I'm most familiar with. If you played Deity:

1) This is still possible, but harder. The main reason is because another neighbor may try and take you out while you're still fighting with that first person. Also, if you fail at taking them out, you're going to be way behind of course.

2) You can still send delegations to every civ you meet as soon as you meet them, and it will normally be accepted, but it will hardly ever put them into green smiley face territory. And even if it does...

3) They're unlikely to accept a friendship right away. Futhermore, people with green smiley faces are often the ones about to stab you in the back.

3b) (You actually have two 3's lol) Getting alliances with other civs is super hard when not playing on an island map. If you have cities on their continent, they want it, and they won't be allies.

So those things make the rest of the game harder. Not to mention, the AI is producing even MORE tourism/culture and MORE science than on easier difficulties, meaning you won't win culture as easily and they might win science if you don't pay attention.

Since the release of the Diplomatic Victory, I've pretty much played the same every game and I usually win, but I do a lot of min/maxing to get the victory as quickly as possible so it's easier. If I weren't so diligent to get it so early, I'd be losing to culture or science. I also usually play on standard size with 8 civs but once I played on duel with 4 civs and lost to religion. xD Last time I play with that few civs, so dumb.

10. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

I mean, just try to win without early war. See how well you can do with peaceful play. It’s a lot more tense.

Early war has always short circuited Civ games, even civ5- capturing a capital city with its great yields, population, And resources was a mighty prize.

Or even just war to take a forward settled city or a key chokepoint, but don’t extend to full
    Invasion and conquering their whole empire.

11. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

A lvl 3 economic alliance let's you share city state suzerain bonusses which can be quite handy with Pericles for instance.

12. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Will it be more quickly than the time I just suzerain all CSs? With Pericles maybe around T100~120? Can I get a lvl 3 alliance before that?

13. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

I never ask for friendships. I only accept when the A.I. asks me first.

Just like in real life.

Stringer1313 likes this.
  14. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I think we don’t share a defintion of “win”.
    Given some practice, almost anyone can get from point A to B driving a car at 40 mph, always amazingly being faster than cyclists.

15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I agree with the OP and many of the others. My 2¢: Sometimes I like to play on a tightly-packed map by adding a bunch of Civs to the default number. Ideally, this results in the weak Civs getting swallowed early by the aggressive Civs. Then yours isn't the only nation with 2 or more civs' worth of territory. Of course it's also more likely that you'll get swamped early, but that's okay.

16. Jewman

Jewman Prince

I too have also followed the same strategy but I have been playing with religion more and very recently with extremely ambitious colonization (even on pangaea). Usually during the snowball effect, your economy truly matures in the industrial when you get your shipyards or factories down and your main cities have all their crucial infrastructure up. This is usually where you could autopilot the game but I like to make it more interesting.

First, I like using the hic sunt draconis to begin my colonies. In continents map, this should be fairly easy. In pangaea is where its most interesting. Oftentimes, the AI fails to settle their coastline in this map. As you mentioned, you should have five alliances, so find an ally that has lands around him you can settle and then strike up a cultural alliance to eliminate loyalty problems and build colonies around him.

Second, this is extremely situational but makes this the most fun: If you have any culture bombs on your districts (i.e. through world congress, great engineer or civ ability) just start claiming up land around your allies cities. Reyna and Moksha district buying promotions make this very efficient.

Third, now you've settled far flung cities around an ally, but not everyone is your ally, there usually one or two that didn't make the cut. They should be the neighbors of your cultural ally so that your forward settling and breaking a promise not to settle them will make them upset. Keep your military score low to bait them into attacking. Once they have declared war, use your immense wealth from your highly industrialized empire to buy an army from thin air, conquer some of their cities, pillage ALL of their empire then peace out.

Fourth, if somehow you have the resources and wealth remaining to do this whole process again on another ally then you can switch your cultural alliance to someone new and begin colonizing them. Your first colonies should have grown exponentially and be self-sustaining cities that do not require your first cultural alliance to hold loyalty anyways.

Yeah its all a bit unnecessary but it is fun and you can still branch to any victory type from here even if it probably costs you a few turns. Better than autopiloting right?

17. Swissy

Swissy Warlord

Maybe time to step up a level.

lankypeter likes this.
  18. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

Actually I find civ6 is one of the best in the series for giving me varied gameplay. Yes there are some things I do every game but I've avoided ruts like this by varying my maps a lot and almost always playing to max out a civs abilities. I sometimes set challenges/restrictions for myself, usually themed to the civ I'm playing. I find it easy to avoid chopping for example, using it mainly just for not wasting a resource or feature when I want to place a district or wonder. And I don't like making friends with AI until late in the game, but I don't often go out and conquer them either. I try to get by with no more than about 16 cities for non-domination victories, sometimes using as few as 7 (Kristina) to get a victory.

But I also have no interest in a fast victory, so my mostly epic speed games go anywhere form 300 to 450 turns. Many many game don't make it that far of course because I play hardest levels while not being the most efficient player. My favourite maps I play out peacefully while making dinner or watching TV, mostly just hitting enter and setting up production queues.

19. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

no... takes a long time to get to lvl 3 alliance, plus you need Civil Service just to start them

20. bbbt

bbbt Deity

More cities generally wins. Whether by conquest (usually faster) or peaceful expansion. You could basically ignore everything after #1 and still win on emperor.