1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I always start in the south of the map

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Rowie007, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Rowie007

Rowie007 Chieftain

I've started quite a few games by now (and some were to test this theory), and I always end up right in the south of the map. I'm running standard map generated games on a new world map. I've also got the patch 1.01f installed.

Anyone else have this situation? While it doesn't stop me playing the game, it would be nice to start in a different location sometimes.

2. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

The same thing happens to me a lot. Not really a huge problem but I'd like to try resources besides sugar and tobacco from time to time.

3. McLMan

McLMan Afraid of the monkeys

I've only played a few games but I have noticed the same thing.

4. Rowie007

Rowie007 Chieftain

I started about 10 games just to test, and on the first turn opened the worldbuilder. On every one I was the southern most european power. So I doubt it's just a fluke of the random generator.

I plan around this now, if I want to start on my own I head directly west on the first turn, if I want to be with the others I head north west. Obviously I never go south
    :)

5. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Been a long time since I played, but I think it's a problem with the New World mapscript. Try Faireweather, it's much better in general(and solves this problem)

6. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

Have you installed the patch?

7. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

I ran a few tests and I agree that games now start towards the south. Interestingly when I play on a huge map I always start in position 3 (out of 4) rather than the far south position. However this may because I have an extra large map tied in to the huge map size, it is 2 1/2 times bigger than the usual huge map. For all other size maps I start in the far south position every time. This is with the patch.

I checked back on some of my pre-patch save games and the starting position in those was random. So it does looks like this problem has been introduced by the patch.

8. candle

candle Prince

yea same here played on the america map and started in the south for some strange reason as the English, in Col1 about 1/5 turns the english would start there, the rest of the time they started in North America. I think im gonna actully head towards north america anyway, it seems alot more defensible