I am Ashamed.

If you're going to cheat....why not at least do it on a higher level, or something? Or just give yourself a ton of modern armors and go rampage around? Or just delete all the AI and win by "conquest" in 4000 BC?

I told my eight year old son NEVER to go on Worldbuilder because it's cheating and would ultimately ruin the game for him. I had to quickly press the reset button on the PC the other day when I was on Worldbuilder (trying to correct an error you understand) and he came into my office. I feel so ashamed. :blush:
"No, it's not what it looks like! Don't look! Don't look!

:lol: That's hilarious.

Since, for all practical purposes, in Civ I'm God, I've decreed that the changes I might make in WB are not cheating. Of course, I'm not saying I go into WB at the start of each game and make sure I have a good starting position, the requisite resources, and an extra unit or 4. But if I did, in the universe I've created, it's not considered cheating. :lol: If anyone doesn't like it, they can have a different decree in their own universe. :king:

It's your game, play it as you like. It's not like you are screwing any living person off, they are just AI:s :lol:

Personally, I never feel any sense of accomplishment at all if I cheat in games so I do not do it. I do not see the point, I rather have a challenging game and lose than win by cheating.

I admit that I almost always use the world builder to move resources out of the square I want to found my city on. Sometimes I also "redirect" the flow of one or two rivers if they happen to be close.

I also use it to put watermills where I think I ought to be able to build them.

I use it to make new continents. The worlds that Civ makes are always.....one sided? Ya know the continents are either to far south/north leaving about 1/5 of the land mass in tundra and artic. Along with massive empty oceans which I like to add new islands of various sizes

I should named this topic "AA for Cheaters".:lol:

I didn't expect so many honest answers.

But its been said a few times in this thread alone. The reason this game is so good is that YOU play it the way YOU want to.

thanks for all of the comments people.:)

You're welcome Joe. (Why am I saying you're welcome, I haven't even commented!)

Now dont do it again!!

Joe: If your conscience gets the better of you or anyone gives you too much flak, come on over to my universe. We're very forgiving!

I once used the world builder to add some resources to make everyone's capitals 'SUPER Cities'. In addition I added barbarian 'Kingdoms' to island chains off the side of continents. I gave them a horrendous unit number. Those cities were very rich seafood wise[good GP farms], but taking them without modern weapons would be a pain. I also gave them bombers to help blast early transports.

I learned a hard lesson. Barbarian bombers can apparently bomb through the great wall :(.... my poor poor farms.

Awesome thread! I might try that as well, but not make them THAT powerful.

So what's a person to do to make sure you allhave fair starting positions (without worldbuilder)?

I wish I cheated with the WB. My cheating addiction is reloading, which is worse because it's so easily justifiable to myself. Losing 4 out of 6 battles at 80% odds? OH COME ON!!! (back to last auto save). Which eventually becomes losing 4 out of 6 battles at 55% odds, OH COME ON!!!(back to last auto save).

I once used the world builder to add some resources to make everyone's capitals 'SUPER Cities'. In addition I added barbarian 'Kingdoms' to island chains off the side of continents. I gave them a horrendous unit number. Those cities were very rich seafood wise[good GP farms], but taking them without modern weapons would be a pain. I also gave them bombers to help blast early transports.

I learned a hard lesson. Barbarian bombers can apparently bomb through the great wall :(.... my poor poor farms.

*giggle* i made the barbs an island paradise once, but i was cheating for research purposes. didn't give them bombers tho, i'm not that crazy :crazyeye: well actually i am, but the point of the research was to see what the barbs would do if they lived in paradise but still had to make/learn everything for themselves (except for the free buildings i gave 'em). so giving them bombers would have invalidated the results. we can't have that, this was HighlyScientificTesting of course! the report about what i learned is here.

So what's a person to do to make sure you all have fair starting positions (without worldbuilder)?

have hubby check the map ahead of time in WB and add things as necessary of course! then you can play the game without ever opening WB so that way you can still be surprised about the map and the opponents. i guess that doesn't work so well for people without a hubby. if you have one who really hates the fact that you play civ4 too much i imagine it wouldn't work so great either. *giggle*

Never used it due to my laziness, 2 buttons to press? no way! :D Btw i'd use it just to be sure to not start in a crappy location, but yet have to use it this way :crazyeye:

The only time I ever go into World Builder is when I get the "barbarians hordes are amassing near your border" random event and I don't have even a remotely adequate defence.

I only use worldbuilder to see what the global map looks like and where I am on it. You know the small thing in the bottom right. I've had too many games that I had to abandon simply because I didn't like the lay of the world. Better a good game with a small, nearly insignificant cheat than a bad one played perfectly honestly.

I'd be happy to introduce anyone invoking WorldBuilder on Warlord difficulty level to the joys of multiplayer gaming. :mischief:

MP sucks ;)

far too much combat oriented, the AI leaves you alone for the most part, and doesn't exploit your weaker cities.

If you're ever feeling bad about giving yourself an advantage with WB, you can just give the barbarians some gunships to even things out. ^^

Top Bottom