1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I am done/for sale.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sage123, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Sage123

Sage123 Chieftain

Call a wimp call me stupid but I frankly enjoy studing for my MCSE test more then playing this game. I gave it a while and it is just so frustrating. I have the hint book the game and the original manual that came with it. Does anyone want to purchase it? I don't think I have the original box that it shipped in.

Thanks.

2. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

I have a lot of complaints about it:

historical inaccuracy; excessive cultural flipping; an ineffective and costly espionage system; civs advancing at too similar a rate; nothing left to explore after 500 AD; and a poor use of naval units - see my thread on privateers and submarines.

But it is still a good game and I enjoy it.

Maybe you can find the dope who stepped on his Civ III CD and cracked it. He could use another!

3. whstaff

whstaff Chieftain

I feel the same way you do. This game is no fun, and even after doing something cool the result is then many turns of sheer tedium. My late brother was great at these types of games, he got something called Imperium Gallatica II, where you are the emperor of a galactic empire, I watched him play a few turns and concluded that playing the game was actually more difficult and less fun than actually being the emperor of such an empire.
    I soured on the game during my last play where I was attacked after asking egypt to get outside of my borders. I was well prepared and did quite well surrounding their very large (100 unit) invading force and averaged taking one of their cities per turn. And was well on my way to reducing their cities to rubble when my populace let me know they had quite enuff after 3 turns.
    Even though I had Suffrage and Police Station in every city. What BS!! Than in the process of wiping out there invasion force, I had tanks taken out by spearman. To think I was waiting 5 minutes between turns to see that! Finally, even patched this game is buggy as hell. Every once in awhile it trys to write something illegal to my registry, which results in the blue screen. This game sucks, I never had a problem with any of these games Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire, Civ I, or CTP, this game gives Firaxis a huge blackeye and might be the worst game in the history of games.

4. cutiestar

cutiestar fluffy bird

Well i totally understand anyone that hates this game, I use to hate the idea of playing CIV II years ago when my father was addicted to it, i got bored one day and figured what the hell, and gave it a go, still bored crazy, i decided to fill my time with it, and now I love the CIV series, and CIV III.

But i certainly understand it would be no good for many people, including my wife, she wont go near it, she is sick even at the thought of playing such a dull game.

I must say if I bought any first person shooting game, i would hate it and want to return the disk, or sell it. So each to their own, and i hope you find a game more pleasant for your mind next time.

I myself will play CIV III non stop until Heroes IV is released in March.

As for the problems Zouave pointed out, again each to their own, because i have no problem with any of those things. I enjoy them, and if i never came to this forum, none of them would even have entered my mind.:goodjob:

5. SGX

SGX Chieftain

I enjoy the game quite a bit.. I have though, begun to feel the 'late game tedium' in my latest game, it's simply due to the current war and the mass amount of movement required, that and the abundance of workers which don't have much left to do except clean pollution.

But I do enjoy a little, just sitting there for around 5 mins thinking and analysing what to do with my units next (seriously), having to guage whether the enemy has the potential to take a vulnerable city, what I can attack next, whether upon capture of a city I should raze it or keep it and so on.

War weariness... once was a problem... but a lot of trading for gold/luxuries, making marketplaces, temples etc, increasing luxury rate and my cities are settling down again, enough to take a few more cities perhaps.

Oh, and still makin some money every turn hehe :D

I guess some people just enjoy this type of game, while others would rather go for something like Empire Earth.

6. KloePoek

KloePoek Warlord

whine whine.. ***** & moan... if the only thing you can comment is negative, then why are you even here??? just to annoy us???

now go play some game that is more suited to your intelligence, like gran turismo....

7. cutiestar

cutiestar fluffy bird

hey that grand tourismo comment is mine, lol

I got Empire earth a while ago, I can't stand it, to me it is like AOE or AOK with a few tweaks, i read it even got some ratings in the 7's.

But yes for every game there will be some people that like it, for me CIV III rules, it suits me and my mind, and i couldn't care if i was the only person on earth that liked it. I would stand proud and say CIV III rules.:goodjob:

8. KloePoek

KloePoek Warlord

hehe lol sorry... :p

allright, go play some game which is more suitable to your intelligence, for example.... Quake 3

9. No.Dice

No.Dice Warlord

And why are you telling us this?

10. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

Hey guys. Including No Dice.

When I saw the high costs for such as espionage, or such as the unit values for Panzers that had them at only 16.8.3 while Tanks are 16.8.2, I had enough.

Into the Editor I went. Privateers are now at a '3' attack value.

All espionage costs are now much lowered; strategic resources show up more; etc. Panzers are 18.8.3.

All the problems you cite above can be rectified in the Editor. Do that first before you give up. That includes unhappiness.

There are some problems that cannot be solved in the editor (mostly naval in origin), but so many can it leaves a good game.

11. No.Dice

No.Dice Warlord

Hmm, well i didn't see a point in telling us you're going to trash the game without mentioning a thing you dislike about it, no less in a forum full of people, who for the most part, are satisfied with the game.

Zouave: When it comes down to fun and historical accuracy, fun will win out every time.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the culture flipping, i'd say it doesn't happen nearly often enough. :) In my last four games, i've had a total 4 culture flips, 3 of which in my favour.

Though i do agree that espionage is way too costly and naval combat needs to approached a different way. Theres no way two ironclads should be able to sink a battleship. :(

12. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Warlord

Thanks for the advice No.Dice, to the editor i go!

13. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

Yep. If you don't like Sid's arbitrary values, go to the Editor!

I'm heading there right now to see if I can turn off the nuclear option, or make it so expensive no one will want it.

BTW, fun, playability, common sense, and historical accuracy are NOT all mutually exclusive.

14. DreadJester

DreadJester Chieftain

Honestly, I don't think this game lives up to it's previous incarnations. I have played both Civ 1, 2, and 3 along with Alpha Centauri and I have found several things that are total no goes in this game. Furthermore, my wife, who is a Civ freak has decided that she would rather go back to Civ 2 than play this. I'm not far behind her in thinking.

First off, the easiest level is a far cry from easy. It should be almost a cakewalk at that level for persons new to the game or trying to figure it out and it isn't. Whats the point of having 6 different levels of difficulty if all you really have is hard, harder, hardest?

Second off, I have found and read about several unit inconsistincies which seem to tilt the game in the AI's favor. Tanks getting waisted by Cavaly, Armies full of archers by Swordsmen, Great Wall cities with wall fortified elite Archers by Swordsmen, so forth and so on. Frankly I've started to have enough. What's the point of building up technology if your Battleship is only going to wind up in the deep blue after an Ironclad attack? I want to win or loose by skill not by luck of the draw. If I wanted to win solely by luck I would go play Solitaire.

It almost seems as if somewhere along the way the developers forgot about the casual gamer and only designed the game for the elite few who could win the old ones at Deity level.

Maybe I will give it one more chance and play the game on a gigantic map with only one other civilization and the least active barbarians posible on chieftain level.

15. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Well, I understand the frustration, but I completely love this game. I enjoy RPG, turn-based, and RTS. I am a veteran of Civ II so I naturally flowed right into Civ III.
    There's still some problem with the unit thing though. Just as in Civ II under harder levels. Tanks and Mech Inf get killed by cavalry assualts, but overall, its a great game.

16. cutiestar

cutiestar fluffy bird

I also don't think culture flips occur often enough, what is the point of having culture as such a big part of the game, if it really doesn't do anything.

I understand the battleship comment, but hey, just imagine while the ironclad was attacking it, the ship actually hit an iceberg. your next 20 battleships will miss the iceberg and destroy the ironclad no worries.

As for the easiest level being hard, I can't comment, I started at monarch, but I know what you mean, i have tried other games and found it so hard to even get basic training due to the difficulty of the first level. I therefore give them up, i am certainly not a manual reader.

All in all, the guy who started this thread just doesn't like the game and wants to sell it, or maybe he doesn't even own it and pirated it, but wants to make a statement about how much he hates it anyway. Either way his choice, My niece likes Frogger, we all like and dislike soem things in life, he doesn't like CIV III.

As for going back to CIV II, well that is the biggest shock i read on this board here, I played CIV II for years, and noone loved it more than me, but compaired to CIV III, i could never ever go back to CIV II and still enjoy it. Not even a remote possibility.

Take it easy guys , many people in the world have never even heard of CIV III, spare a thought for them and what they are missing :goodjob:

17. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

I dunno about elite but I can win previous versions on deity or Emperor(no deity in civ1).
    They most certainly did not design this version with me in mind.Not at all.Almost every area has been dumbed down.Or as some like to say "streamlined".This game was made trying to lure the first time Civ player.

Combat,well,it has taken a big step back.

This is taken from the civ3 manual,page 39,last paragraph:

"Firepower gone:Combat has been improved so that the concept of firepower is no longer necesary"

and this is from the original civ2 manual pages 32 and 33.

"Players of Civilization were occasionally disconcerted when a "lucky" vet phalanx fortified in a city,destroyed an attacking battleship.Mathematically,it was possible,but the image conjured up just didn't sit right.How could an ancient spearman take out a modern steel warship?..To smooth such freakish reaches of probability,Civ 2 has added 2 new stats for each unit:hit points and firepower"

"These new stats widen the gap between primitive techs and modern weaponry.A musketeer with a strength of 3 attacking a pikeman of strength 2 has an effective strength far greater than than 3,simply because it's increased hit points(20 representing it's firearms) allow it to sustain twice as much damage as the pikeman.A vet phalanx may still damage a battleship,but the chance of utterly demolishing it is negligible"
    end quote

Thes 2 new stats worked very,very well.You did not see the odd results.I sure did not.Beleive me,I played civ2 once or twice ;)
    Problem with 3 is they only have hit points or more accurately,health points.The system does not work without both stats.
    So we are back to civ1.The decision to drop FP was a big one.Clearly a major step backwards.

Sid has said in print he doesn't mind the "battleship killing phalanx" of civ 1.Reynolds does not.You read between the lines...

18. Sage123

Sage123 Chieftain

Just to close up this thread. I think I will be moving back to civ 2 and/or homeworld. I don't think I am stupid. This game just seemed very detailed oriented. Maybe if one of you lived in the bay area maybe I could watch you play or witness a demo which I doubt civ3 can do. I played a lot of games got frustrated around 1400 ad or so, and decided to quit and start again. Getting more and more frustrated. It didn't seem like I could keep up with the regular AI nevermind the tougher ones.

I do think that I am missing something here. Maybe someone can help me. I really wanted this game to work out.

BTW I didn't pirate the game.

19. PaulNAdhe

PaulNAdhe Warlord

You're studying for your MCSE? That's good! Why the f*cck do you think we care? Are your future plans supposed to influence what we think about your opinion of the game?

Go study. Get a good job. Leave us alone.

20. muppet

muppet Prince

:spank:

Funny!! But you could have at least waited till the new year to say something like that.