1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I broke the "just friends" barrier, I rock.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hundegesicht, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Hundegesicht

Hundegesicht Manly Studmuffin

There's a girl I've known for 5 years now. We met in school, and, after doing several projects together, became good friends and hung out 2 or 3 times a week. Usually we'd give eachother books, go and see movies together, go out to eat, watch concerts, take long walks, but we always steadfast - in our minds and in the minds of our friends - that we were "just friends". I've been secretly in love with her for 2 years, but never told her anything because she had a boyfriend this entire time.

-Until last night.

We were at her place, watching Return of the Jedi. (We had concluded watching all 6 Star Wars movies chronologically, and, they get better as they go) After the movie ended, we sat on her couch for a while, talking about life. She's about to leave for 3 months to study in another country, so we ended up talking about finding her a boyfriend there. (She broke up with her b/f about a month and a half ago)

I was tired, and a little drunk, so I ended up asking her "have you ever thought about dating me?" She thought for a little bit and said "a lot, actually, but I didn't think you liked me that way." I ended up confessing that I had been in love for 2 years, and she said she had liked me for about the same.

Well, we talked on for a little longer, and by this point our faces were very close, so I reached over, touched the side of her face and kissed her.

We ended up making out for about 2 and a half hours, which felt like about 10 minutes. (Whoever writes "this moment will last forever" or whatever BS in his songs obviously doesn't wear a watch)

So anyway, I'm kind of sad, since I won't see her face to face for 3 months now. But not that depressed. I've waited 5 years, 3 months will fly by, right?

And, I've also apparently just done the impossible. I kick ass.

2. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

It's not you. It's alcohol. :p

Actually, yes, it is a very hard thing to do. Congratulations. But what I said above matters quite a lot, too. ;) Not saying that it's more important than your contribution though.

3. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

Cheers, although it sounds to me like you were never really "just friends," now were you?

;)

4. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

So you were like in hell for two years though. Congrats on slaying all the demons.

5. Brighteye

Brighteye intuitively Bayesian

It'll all end in tears.

6. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

you;re a joyful optimist :p

7. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

You broke LJBF?

:worship:

8. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

No it won't! It'll end awkwardly and you'll never see her again.

9. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

more like a realist.

10. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

I agree, especially with her leaving soon. Way to give yourself a relationship with a pretty solid expiration date.

Then again I am just about lined up to date a girl who will no doubt want to go elsewhere for college next. Snee for expiration dates.

11. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

What impressive here is not that you've broken the barrier, but that you broke it with Star Wars.

12. nivi

nivi Call me Ishmael

I was impressed untill:

Talk us in 3 months to see if you cracked the long distance relationship thing, otherwise you are just a momentry rebound. ;)

13. Volum

Volum The Zapper

screw expiration dates! You like her she likes you everything else is irrelevant. thats like saying "dont find a gf until youve got a job and are done moving around".

congrats to you. alltough we all know the friendzone is a term invented by women so the dont have to say "I like you just not like that but i want to be abel to call you whenever im in trouble" :p

14. Flak

Flak vBülletin Förum

I too, in my not-distant-past, have managed to break through the 'friends' barrier. It can be done (and I was on top of the world by the fact that I accomplished it), but I would not reccommend anybody trying it. The frustration levels can be insurmountable. I'd give any guy about a one in two thousand chance of success at best. You're better off finding someone whose interest is atleast somewhat obviously mutual.

15. Hundegesicht

But the important thing here isn't that a relationship has been started, it's that the barrier has been broken. We'll probably see other people in the next 3 months, but when we're back together we can start up where we had left off without the "just friends" rearing it's ugly head.

I called her about half an hour ago. She was shopping with her sister, so we had to use... guarded language, but other than that it wasn't awkward. She had a really good time, and so did I. On the plus side, since we've known eachother so long, making out wasn't really awkward since I kind of "knew" what she liked/disliked without having to feel it out, and vice-versa.

And even if it does end up in a messy breakup (as all the prophets of doom here are warning), I'll at least be able to think back "damn, it was good while it lasted" instead of "what if" in 10 years. A lot less of a burden, one way or another.

For anyone else trying to do the same thing, the secret is a little Sake and lots of Star Wars. It works wonders, trust me. ;)

16. Hundegesicht

double post.

17. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Please... the sexual innuendos that can be gleamed from star wars can just about get anyone in the mood.

'I could hide my millenium falcoln around back of your star destroyer where the rubbish comes out'
    'would you like to play with ewok'

list goes on and on, the friend zone is just a zone that exists when your sober, as soon as alcohol becomes apparant it disapears and once it's disappeared its up to the both of you whether to reinstate it. Not taking away from you hund, i can't imagine getting that liqoured watching star wars with a chick so i'd imagine that was of your own accord.

18. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I agreeeee! :)

19. TheDervish

TheDervish Scion of the Achaemenids

This thread reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld when Elaine wanted to go out with this gay guy, and mid-episode ecstatically told Jerry that she had set him straight.

20. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

Lucky you. I did pretty much exactly the same thing - We'd known eachother for about 5 years and I'd been in love with her for about 2 or 3 years. She'd recently broken up with a boyfriend... one of my best friends. She was due to leave the country for 6 months so I told her how I felt only to find out she used to fancy me a couple of years ago, and didn't want to hurt me by going out with me (She thought she'd be a bad girlfriend... but I know her far too well and she's just too modest), but the main factor I think was that she wasn't over her ex. Sure, plenty more fish in the sea - but when you meet one of the best there is, anyone below isn't suitable.