1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I built the Apostolic Palace, got elected leader..but nothing happens..

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by AccipiterQ, Aug 25, 2007.

1. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

So I'm the leader now....and I'm sitting around waiting for the screen to pop up with the list of resolutions like it does for the U.N....I'm waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and nothing happens!! How do I get that screen to come up??

2. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

First-- nothing will happen unless other countries have your religion. Open borders and send missionaries.

Second -- I too have had this happen, it may be a bug. I know other AI cities had my religon but there were only votings for Apostolic leader. It was just one game though, so I chalked it up to me not understanding something.

3. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

yah, everyone's got my religion...not sure what's going on...

4. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

Resolutions have to meet the requirements.

Diplomatic Victory - EVERY civ has to have a city with your religion
    Stop the War - A civ of the AP religion has to be at war

Etc.

5. Palpster

Palpster Chieftain

What are the requirements for the "assign city X to Civ Y" resolution, anyone know?

6. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

Stop trading has to be against a civ that doesn't have the religon a the state religon.

7. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

I have yet to have to option to get everyone to goto war with xyz, or form defence pacts :( :(

8. Azander

Azander Fairy

The city has to have the proper religion, and the culture must be appropiate. If the english and the zulus are next to eachother, and oxford is lost to the zulus, it would still have an overwhelming amount of english culture. If the english controlled the elections, they could regain control of their oxford through votes... Hopes this makes sense.

you could also sign open borders with all members (members are the ones with the proper religion). Very usefull sometimes. :)

9. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

Not that its any comfort -- but I have. I have no idea about the triggers but here's how it happened for me: Pangea map (huge) (Apostolic mine), about half had my religon and half of them as State religon, the infidels attacked me and 2 votes later I had the 'go to war' option. After the war I had the 'defense pact' option.

10. Cristoval

Cristoval Warlord

I was going for a religious victory my last game, I had the votes I just needed the religious victory pop up to vote but the victory simply dissapeard from the victory conditions screen. I spent so much time spreading my religion, bribing civs to switch from theocracy so i can get more votes I had it in the bag, but instead I had to catch up in tech and rush a space victory witch I lost at.

I needed 18 turns for the SS engines in the end. This really angered me because the religous victory just dissappeared, and there were no more votes or anything, just for the UN...

11. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

You're bumping a 3 1/2 year old thread but I'll bite.

Did you obtain Mass Media? That will obsolete the AP. There are several other possibilities - somebody might have formed a colony without the religion. Also if you can vote yourself in the victory condition is negated but it doesn't sound like this is the case. Also, if you didn't build the AP if the builder obtains Mass Media the AP is obsolete.

12. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

You know, if you people weren't so focused on making finding information a crime, most of us would never notice the dates. Who cares how old it is? This person had the decency to do a search to find the information they wanted instead of simply spamming a new thread. And then you spammed him for it.

Cristoval, your problem may have been that you alone had enough votes to elect yourself. If this happens, you can't do the vote. Frex, if you need 500 votes and you yourself have more than 500, then you can't do it. There has to be someone else to vote you in.

Vassals have to vote for you, but they don't count against you in this requirement.

Also, if one of your vassals is big enough to be running for the position, he MUST vote for himself.

One thing you might try when you're in this position is to flip the religion of someone whom everyone hates to the AP religion. That way, he'll have more votes available to cast, perhaps putting your own votes under the limit, but no one will vote for him, giving you the win.

IIRC, now that I think of it, I think you have to be IN the AP's religion in order to propose the resolution.

There are a lot of funky conditions for the AP resolutions, none of which are explained anywhere in the game. I know there is a thread somewhere around here which gives you a lot of details about the AP. It's almost certainly going to be in the War Academy as well, so look in there.

13. Ganthan

Ganthan Chieftain

I pretty much had the same thing happen in my recent Ethiopia game. Built the AP, got elected leader, but there weren't really any propositions that met the requirements so nothing happened. I think a chance to stop trading with one of the nations on another continent came up, but I didn't present it because he was no threat to me at all.

Oh well, if nothing else, building the AP gives all the religious buildings of the AP religion +2 hammers so you still get a little something out of it.

14. jgroth1978

jgroth1978 Warlord

Agreed.

15. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

That's one advantage. The second is keeping it out of the AI's grubby little hands. The AP being built by the wrong AI can also come up "you lose" due to dogpile. In a number of my games where I'm resident, nothing comes up either. About 3/4 of the time something does come up, it's like your case. Some useless proposition.

Watch out for the Defensive Pacts one. I found that out one game where my neighbor Ragnar (lovely neighborhood) declared war on another member on the other side of him. I found myself at war with Ragnar who seemed to send most of his units my way.

DS: I don't view it as a crime or anything. I haven't seen these posts before so I enjoy reading it. I know some people object to it so I stated so but also responded.

16. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

What are the criteria for getting the "assign city to X" option as UN leader, rather than AP leader? Monty just had his capital captured and, for the hell of it, I was going to propose returning it to him, but I didn't get the option. It must be full of his culture, I mean it was still in revolt after being captured not long ago, so what else is required for this vote?

17. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I don't think the "assign city to X" option is available under UN, only under AP.

18. Manfred Belheim

Well it's there on the Members tab of the Victory advisor as U.N. Mandate to Reassign City (or words to that effect.)

19. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Could be. I never noticed it as a UN choice when I am SecGen and I frequently build the UN so I can ban nukes. On the Members tab of the Victory advisor, it lists all of the AP and UN possible votes, both before the UN is built and after the AP is obsolete. Are you sure you aren't looking at the AP option?

20. Manfred Belheim

It definitely has U.N. Mandate written there. This is the first BtS game I've played where I've been secretary general so I don't have much experience of the extra BtS voting options.