1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I can skip the opening movie just fine...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Yzman, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Why can no one seem to skip this? I just clicked it and it skipped it.

2. sovarn

sovarn Warlord

Thats cos you have a fast computer, my computer is a little slow and so it playsthe video while it loads in the background.

I know this because when i disabled the videos in the settings.ini i watch a black screen instead of the video for a 30 seconds.

3. Morelyn

Morelyn Chieftain

This is bad programming. Didn't they test this on slower computers?

They should be testing for a click or Esc and go to a loading screen no matter how slow the computer.

It's irritating.

4. wapamingo

wapamingo Prince

I cannot skip it either. I have to hear the old dude start his speech and then it can skip it.

I hate the old dude now!

5. krunsh

krunsh Prince

It's just a hidden loading. You would be waiting as long without the video. Just rpess escape when the video start and it will go to the menu when it's ready.

Worst case scenario, you lower the sound and look the other way :p

6. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

Dude, how can you hate the old dude? He's cool and patriarchal... :D
    The young dude sucks though... He's a boy-scout, for crying out loud... :lol:

7. sovarn

sovarn Warlord

Honestly, i prefer watching a black screen. It get a little annoying watching the same video over and over.

At least on the black screen you can leave and come back but with the video, the game wont automatically start until the vid has played.

8. zomg

zomg Chieftain

Mine actually does stop the movie part way and starts loading. Gets about to the point where it cuts away to other scenes and then instead gives me the main menu. Not sure which key it is as I've pressed pretty much every one by that time but I will try to narrow it down tonite.

Good to know its because of loading in the background, at least I know why its taking so long and its not just waiting for the appropriate key.

9. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

You can do the same with the video, just go, do your stuff and come back, it's going to be there when you come back... If it takes the same amount of time, then why the concern?

I give you the video is kind of corny...

PS I think it does not matter what key you press...

10. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

For me it cuts away from the video as soon as the game has finished loading... I only ever get to the bit where he starts talking about the fertile land... i wanna know what he says next!! :o

11. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

You do know that you can go into the "Sid Meier's Civilization 5" folder under the "My Games" folder and update the UserSettings.ini file so the SkipIntroVideo = 1 instead of the default value.

12. Morelyn

Morelyn Chieftain

Right and watch a black screen instead.

There are a number of little irritations I'm finding with the UI. For example, when you get to the save game screen, you can't just double-click on your country's name to save, you have to select and then click on the save game button.

Not a biggie, obviously, but I'm used to this series being more professionally coded than this. Maybe they'll get to it in a patch.

13. Corvak

Corvak Chieftain

if its like most PC games, dig around in your Civ5 folder for the video file and rename it to something else.

The game will not find it and automatically skip.