I can't load any of my save games/autosaves [SOLVED]

Ok, well I've setup civ 6 exe to run as administrator, so although my previous saves are toast, my new ones actually load now. Hopefully that helps someone.

So this seems too good to be true, but you solved my problem too.

I was stuck on an infinite loading screen, loading my Greece save. It had been 15 minutes. I checked the task manager and civ was reporting no CPU or disk drive usage.

I then right click the process, selected properties, and selected Load as Administrator and I saw the process begin to use some CPU so I decided to wait. About 20 seconds later my saved loaded!

So whether this was the true fix, coincidence, or led to doing something else that got me unstuck thanks!

I'm stuck on the Load Screen as well. I'm currently trying to validate the files, but it's stuck a 2%. I'll try running the game as admin.

[Edit] This issues is game wide. Some people can load a game while others can't.

Last edited:
I'm having this exact issue right now......seems like kind of an odd thing to all of a sudden pop up.

After playing my first game for 270 turns, 6 good reloads, the game will not reload. Tried starting a new game, will not load. Tried running as administrator, will not load. Tried running from steam, will not load. Tomorrow, I may delete and reinstall. :mad::cry::confused:

I have the same issue!
No games will load past the, Loading Please Wait, message.

-edit-
all video settings on minimum with sound off
running civ6 in admin mode does not help

Last edited:
Got the same issue as you, checked it and 0 CPU usage (although it was still pulling RAM). Only way I could get mine working was disabling windows defender, so maybe defender pulled an update today that killed the game somehow?

After playing my first game for 270 turns, 6 good reloads, the game will not reload. Tried starting a new game, will not load. Tried running as administrator, will not load. Tried running from steam, will not load. Tomorrow, I may delete and reinstall. :mad::cry::confused:

Try disabling windows defender, that's the only way my friends + me + some people on 2k forum got it working :(

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I started a different thread, named more explicitly than this one as this issue isn't specific to save games, and the exact bug and fix is detailed there.
Yes it is Windows Defender and the only way to get past the ILS is to set the entire folder as an exemption.

Weirdly, I also noticed that my loading screen got way longer on Saturday/Sunday than they were on Thursday/Friday. It usually would load, it just took an incredibly long time. But the Windows Defender trick did NOT work for me, for whatever reason. :/

Got the same issue as you, checked it and 0 CPU usage (although it was still pulling RAM). Only way I could get mine working was disabling windows defender, so maybe defender pulled an update today that killed the game somehow?

Nice Anemone. I disabled WinDefender and it finally loaded my game. The irony is I typically have to disable Malwarebytes and or Malwarebyets - Randsomeware, but I've never had to go all the way to disabling WinDefender, BUT, it worked, at least the first time after reading your post. I'll have to try it again. If for some reason the WinDefender workaround doesn't work this next time I did submit a support ticket. I'm really hoping this was the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes it is Windows Defender and the only way to get past the ILS is to set the entire folder as an exemption.
Not sure which folder was being mentioned, I exempted both Civ VI folders; the one in Steam an the one in My Games. The game now loads. Thanks to those who figured it out! :goodjob:

Top Bottom