I can't win the game (Prince Difficulty)

faxomabi

Chieftain
Its not that the computer can kill me off. I always lose to a diplomatic win or a cultural win and one time i lost to a science win. Most of the time i lose a diplomatic win.

I dont go to war because my army is too weak to take out a bunch of cities effectively but its strong enough to prevent someone from attacking me.

I've gotten to the moon landing in science win but thats as far as it goes...

I tried for a cultural or diplomatic win as Canada. I did everything possible for culture and diplomatic win and they kept down voting my diplomatic points at the end.

Dominion win is off the charts because my army sucks but I can defend against most of the opponents so its not that scary a war.

In Civ V i was able to win science pretty easily because my money could be converted to production on space race and I am good at making trade routes and saving money.

I don't know the trick to Civ VI...

Not meant as condescending but: practice makes perfect. Try to get campuses up early in order to not fall (too far) behind in science.

Edit: improve your tiles to make your cities grow and make them more productive. And size matters, the more cities you have the more science/culture/production/gold you generate. Expand aggressively or take them from a weaker neighbour.

Last edited:
Hi

Can you show us some of your games so that we can see what could be improved?
Do you play Vanilla or expansions?

I would say the key in this edition is really spamming settlers

Pick a win condition you want to go for early. Make as many cities as you can as soon as you can. Spam the district related to that victory (campus, theaters, etc).

Do you play Vanilla or expansions?

The games must be at least GS if he tried a diplomatic victory.

Its hard to tell what you could improve without any knowledge of your games. Some screens or saves from later stages of the game would be great. In general I can just say the more cities the better since more cities mean more districts and more yields torwards your victory condition.

Reactions: PiR
I am not afraid of difficult situations. But, like any reasonable person, I try to avoid them. I don't understand gamers who go through an ultimatum difficulty and then brag about it. Taking the path of least resistance is in human nature. In a single player game I expect to relax, enjoy the story and immerse myself in the atmosphere. Difficulties abound in real life as well. There's no need for that in a game.
Bragging about it, I wouldn't condone, but liking to overcome a challenge can happen in a game too. Some people do sports on their free time, is there no difficulty there? Personnally I enjoy hiking, and there's most of the time a huge rewards after all the sweating.

If you're starting out in the game, playing as Canada is pretty difficult - they are not a particularly strong civ, and have some very specialized abilities that require knowledge of game mechanics. You might be better off starting with a more straightforward civ that has a strong advantage towards one or more victory conditions - Russia or Greece are strong and fairly straightforward towards a cultural victory, while Korea or Australia are towards science. For diplomacy, Rough Rider Teddy has some good advantages, and his home continent strength bonus should help defending in war.

the switch from civ 5 to 6 is difficult since in 5 most strategies evolved around having 4 cities at the start and then later 8 , in civ 6 the more the better , there really is no tangible downside to having more cities and no advantages to having fewer cities. Also if you do not like to play the diplomatic game or religious game or whatever you can turn those off at the game creation screen and have fun with your custome tailored game according to your tastes.

Its not that the computer can kill me off. I always lose to a diplomatic win or a cultural win and one time i lost to a science win. Most of the time i lose a diplomatic win.

I dont go to war because my army is too weak to take out a bunch of cities effectively but its strong enough to prevent someone from attacking me.

I've gotten to the moon landing in science win but thats as far as it goes...

I tried for a cultural or diplomatic win as Canada. I did everything possible for culture and diplomatic win and they kept down voting my diplomatic points at the end.

Dominion win is off the charts because my army sucks but I can defend against most of the opponents so its not that scary a war.

In Civ V i was able to win science pretty easily because my money could be converted to production on space race and I am good at making trade routes and saving money.

I don't know the trick to Civ VI...

Prince isn't particularly challenging to me, but I see how it can be problem for a new player.
Just keep playing and you will notice the need for decent improved tiles and focusing your production. Which you don't need in all the cities.
If you aim for science victory, just focus on getting enough science (and a bit culture) to reach the needed techs and plan a good big productive city for the projects. Gather all trade routes in it and send for production, that can make a lot in late game, especially in democracy.

Of course Civ V was different. In Civ VI you should build cities all game long, as more are always better. The new cities outweigh the loss of production and population in one city, even if it feels bad.

Domination just needs you to focus on army and getting great generals. And start early.
Diplomatic victory is a bit tough at the end, as the AI will always vote against any outrunner. Best approach is then to gain them in burst and vote in the Council like everyone, even against yourself. That way you may even get one extra point each time it's called.

I usually play with the difficulty level set to Prince.

To date, I’ve never won a diplomatic victory on a standard-sized map (with 7 A.I. opponents). Conversely, on a tiny map with 3 opponents, I’ve “accidentally“ won a diplomatic victory whilst aiming for a cultural win.

I did just succeed to narrowly win a diplomatic victory using Canada on a small continents map against 5 A.I. players.
Victory happened at turn 436. Lady Six Sky almost beat me (she was on 19 victory points), whilst Gorgo had landed on Mars.

So, the difficulty of winning a diplomatic victory is very dependent on the number of opponents.

There are a couple tips that are near universal for any VC that weren't mentioned. Because the game is all about snowballing your early choices are super important.

The first focus is getting to political philosophy on the civics tree asap. That unlocks the more powerful governments and gives you a power spike. From there you want to shift focus to Feudalism. That gives you the serfdom card to improve builders which in effect makes them cheaper over the course of the game.

The other is to find out whether you have horses or iron near your starting spot. I like to go animal husbandry right away. If you don't find horses you'll often have iron nearby, it's pretty rare to have neither. What you find will tell you the troops to focus on for defense or conquest, melee or light cavalry. The bonus to getting animal husbandry first is it's a prerequisite for archery which is great for defense.

I was a Civ 5 player and I have picked up Civ 6 again after the recent update on new game mode so I am quite new on Civ 6 as well.

It is understandable that new Civ 6 players will have difficulties when playing with AIs, even for experienced Civ 5 players. IMO, Civ 5 focus on population quality while Civ 6 is more on buildings quantity. So very experienced Civ 5 players can beat level 6 or above with only one city and I like to play with only 4 - 6 cities peacefully with a science victory.

In the other hands, most of the science, culture, faith yields are coming from buildings and civics in Civ 6. Therefore, building a large empires with non-stop expansion is more favourable to obtain peaceful victory types.

Regarding your frustration, it is difficult to tell what is the actual problem or problems that contribute your loss. But from what you mentions, I believe the main problem will be not familiar with the game system and lacking of direction.

Since you are a Civ 5 player and it may need time to understand the differences in gaming mechanics of the two games. For example, Civ 5 policy system is more focus on overall long-term benefits with certain direction while Civ 6 policy cards are more details on boosting on certain things at certain short period of time so Civ 6 policy cards need to change quite often to maximise their benefits.

Hence in Civ 6, is it important to have a vision(type of victory) and different goals in different stage of the game. In plain words are knowing what you want now and how to get them. If you want to play science victory but change to culture victory mid game than diplomatic victory in the late game, you may in the end achieve nothing and the whole game is like a mess. So first thing first, you need to have a victory in mind and then think about the requirements needed to achieve this victory.

For example, science victory requires certain tech and lot of production for projects and boosting the speed of the spaceship. So you will need

Late game:

1. Cities that provides science
As Civ 6's science output depends heavily on buildings, it is ok to have a 1 pop desert city having a campus district with full set of science buildings and you will need a lot of cities with campus district and science buildings.

2. Cities with production
You will need at least one city with a lot of production for the landing projects and a few cities with good prodution yield to boost the speed of the spaceship. Certain great persons can be a big help in the space project so we may need to think about how to get them. Also boost the speed of spaceship needs large quantities of Aluminium or electricity, so we may also need to build up a good stocks.

Mid game

So with the end game goal in mind, we need to think how to achieve such goal. For cities, do you want to build settlers yourself or do you want to take them by force is really depends on the map and neighbouring AIs. If you have a lot of empty space between you and a peachful neighbour, it is good to build your borders with your neighbours first and then you can have all the space for yourself to spam settlers. If you have no space to grow or your neighbours are aggressive towards you, the focus maybe different and you may want to take their cities to grow your empire.

Then choose your cities' functions. Science focus cities may have a good campus adjacent bonuses or maybe just a city wanting to fill the gap in between cities in your empire. Their main job is to build or buy a campus with science buildings. Most of the time they will provide amenities to other cities, workers, army or gold as well because their workload is light.

Culture focus cities are similar, but the main goal are culture buildings and archaeologists or wonders. Same as Science force cities, they may also provide amenities, workers, army or gold.

Production Cities requires lot of tiles with hills so that mines can be built or good production bonuses resources to boost production and the main production city is recommended to have a Ruhr Valley wonder to boost the production and large population to work on the production tiles.

Mixed-function cities are large cities with good growth to support many districts so that these cities can be difficult to determine the district building priorities and it really depends on the stage of the game, the location and the yields.

Early Game

To achieve the mid game goals, we may need to explore the map faster to understand the map and suitable locations for cities. So the first unit you build maybe scout and depending on the map and neighbours, you may choose focus on peaceful development like settler boost focus civics and governors go first or kill or be killed, spamming large army and focus on quick army tech to neutralise your neighbours with hasty.

Now that with this rough plan in mind, you have a direction in every stage of the game and the tech and civic choice will be developed around those goals. You will always know what you need to do now and you will find that your cities will be more efficient. Therefore I spend 80% of the time playing my first 100 turns while the rest of the game just make sure my plan does not varies much and always in line with the end goals.

When you in doubt, always look into the options you have and explain to yourself which one is more in line with your current goals and which one is more important at this stage.

Always check if anything you can do now but I have ignored. I used to have many tiles unimproved for long time or forgot to build house to grow potential large cities or change policy cards. This little things can always go a long way.

If you do this, I believe Prince or even Empirer will not be so difficult as these difficulties are quite tolerable to mistakes.

Everyone has given their 2 cents, so I might as well give mine too, because I take a different approach: I never settle more than 6 cities (7-8 if by late game I find an empty island with ressources I need) and I only started playing Civ 6 on October/November 2020.
- For a scientific victory I focus on making at least 2 of my cities very productive - for the Spaceports and Space Race Projects. I don't plan ahead from the beginning, I just sort of improve a lot of tiles and when I research rocketry, I look at which city is best. And if you're going for a science win, Campuses are almost always the first district I build anywhere.
- Keep an eye on what Great Scientists and Great Engineers are up for grabs. Under these two categories, there are good Great People for Space Race and Science in general.
- Always go for a pantheon. I used to ditch this for a long time not understanding what it was, but it's an easy bonus of your choice.

Those are my basics. Other than that, I just keep comparing my science with the AI and make sure it's not too low.
I usually play on Emperor difficulty. I feel that too often, because I play a peaceful game, I win a diplomatic victory before I reach my goal, so now I'm turning it off.

YouTube has lots of resources. I like PotatoMcWhiskey, but there are billions to choose from. Well, hundreds. Dozens, anyway. PotatoMcWhizzle plays to win at Deity, and thus has picked apart the game's mechanics to a degree that I would never bother to do myself. I've played Civ VI for *cough**cough* hours, and I still learn some things from his videos.

Some of his videos are advanced strategies, some are him trying weird [stuff] just to see what happens, and some are basic stuff. And by 'basic', I don't mean 'for newbs.' For example, this video cracks open the numbers and looks at whether it's better to build a Monument or a Granary in a new city, and it actually did change my thinking a little, after *cough* hours of always playing it the same way.

I second that. Not when it comes to "hours" played, because I'm a n00b, but I went from not understanding what was going on to micromanaging tiles and get my first science victory on prince level.

I'm stuck with trying to get a cultural victory on Emperor level ever since I got gathering storm a few weeks ago. Can't make it work, man... grrrr! I'll get there.

The early game is the most crucial point so it would be very helpful for you to post some more info, perhaps a save file, about your typical early game.

Some things that helped me advance:

1. Get a better understanding of city placement strategy. Your early cities should have a good balance of food and production. Think of each food or hammer as 1 yield. The best cities will have multiple tiles in their immediate borders with 4+ yields (ex. 2 food, 2 hammers or 1 food, 3 hammers). Of those you'll want at least one that is food focused (ex 3+food or a resource that can be a good food source such as wheat, rice or sugar). When placing cities also be cognizant of what resources can be quickly improved in that city, bonus resources for needed tech boosts, strategic resources for military, luxuries for amenities.
2. In the early game it's important to "forward settle" the AI; settle your cities as close as possible to them without incurring loyalty penalties and settle in a way that blocks off the AIs potential for expansion. You can then fill in the gaps with cities during later expansion. Use governors strategically to address loyalty issues.
3. Have your empire go through different building phases. For example, hold off on building lots of settlers until you have the "+50% production to settlers" policy card, the government plaza with ancestral hall and the governor Magnus with the Provision promotion (Settlers do not consume a population). Once you have those in place, build as many settlers as you can. Do the same thing with military; build only enough units to defend until you have the appropriate cards and an encampment with the appropriate building, then rush build a ton of them. Same thing with builders; when you get to feudalism, put in the policy card to get more builder charges, place Liang in a city with high production, then pump out as many builders as possible.
4. Diplomacy with the AI is crucial, especially early. Make sure to send a delegation to every AI you meet ON THE TURN YOU MEET THEM. If you wait even one turn, the AI could move to unfriendly status and won't accept your delegation; the AI will always accept your delegation on the turn you meet them. The delegation is important because it improves your relationship with that AI, giving you better trade deals and making it more likely for you to declare friendship. You want to declare friendship with every AI you can unless you plan on going to war with them within 30 turns (friendship lasts 30 turns and you can't declare war during that time). Declaring friendship will do a few things: -it will eliminate the possibility of that AI declaring war on you (see above), -it will increase your relationship with them, getting you better trade deals, -it will open up the possibility that for alliances, which can give you big boost to science, culture and gold.
5. Trade with the AI regularly, particularly your open borders. The AI will almost always pay you for open borders, so make sure you try to get gold when offering open borders to them (which you should do ASAP as this also increases your relationship with the AI). The trade screen process is currently a tedious nightmare, so unfortunately you have to do a lot trial and error clicking but in the long run it's worth it. If every AI only gives you 1 gold per turn (GPT), then you're getting +7 GPT very early in the game, which is a HUGE boost. The AI is likely to give you even more GPT though, so you can realistically get 10-15 GPT, plus some one time gold off them, giving a huge boost to your early economy. Regularly shop around your extra luxury and strategic resources as well. These extra sources of gold are essential as your empire expands.
6. Districts and placement. Place your districts early, meaning that you pick the spot they should go and the city starts building them there, but don't finish building them until later. District costs increase as your go through the tech/civic tree but the cost is locked in once you place them, even if you don't finish building them. You should hold off on completing too many early districts, really only focusing on the government plaza with ancestral hall, a holy site for an early religion/faith for golden ages, and then a few choice ones, usually campuses. You should try to place your districts as early as possible, so keep an eye on your population in each city. Your early priorities after the previously mentioned ones should be campuses, commercial hubs/harbors (for trade routes), then whatever districts you need to build for tech/civic boosts.
7. Settling. I usually try to settle 2-3 cities very early. My starting build order is usually warrior, settler, slinger, settler, scout. My second and third cities will build some combination of granary, monument, trader, districts and military depending on the circumstances, with one of them focusing almost exclusively on military if I'm going domination. My capital will usually then focus on getting government plaza and ancestral hall, then pumping out settlers with the goal of getting to 10 cities by turn 100, either through peaceful expansion or conquest. I'm almost always able to get to 8 or 9 by turn 100 and if the cards are right I can get to 10.

Hope this helps. I meant for this to only be a couple of quick tips but it gradually got longer and longer as I typed.

I always lose to a diplomatic win or a cultural win and one time i lost to a science win. Most of the time i lose a diplomatic win.

The key to a Diplomatic Victory is not what CIv you're playing, but how you're playing. First, you need sources of diplomatic favor: higher-tier governments, suzerain city-states, and alliances, and little or no pollution. Second, you need to spend it wisely, which also means learning how the AI votes. So take notes!

Consider the DV resolution: if no one has a lot of DV pts, the AI tends to vote a lot for themselves. That means you have less competition for the other resolutions. So instead of spending a lot of favor for yourself -- which you should know in advance if that's more votes than anyone else can -- spend enough so the Civ with the next highest favor wins (or if that Civ has uncomfortably many DV pts, the one after that). Voting for three resolutions which pass gets you the same DV pts as winning the DV resolution.

Also, put yourself in a position to win competitions.

As for a cultural victory, I build lots of walls, and plan ahead for national park and seaside resort placement. You can also buy their Great Works.

As for a cultural victory, I build lots of walls, and plan ahead for national park and seaside resort placement. You can also buy their Great Works.
I tried a cultural victory today with Canada. I eventually gave up. Kongo went way ahead of me with culture and science, which is fine for Emperor, as you're always behind and trying to catch up. But buy turn 280, I was rocking 1200 culture per turn and more tourism than Kongo, for quite a while then, and I was still no close to winning. It was ridiculous.... :| As for the walls: I had that in mind, I know they give you tourism. I even had good luck with a golden age early in the game so I have 10 cities or more, and eventually I was suzerain of a city state that let you buy city buildings with faith, so I bought renaissance walls in every... single... city.... I just.... ugh! Tomorrow is another day and lockdown is long....

(So thankful for this game in these troubled times! <3 )

Top Bottom