I confess, the game is growing on me.

Gorey

Prince
I can't stop playing it now. I only wish the wait between turns was shorter :crazyeye:

I wont say its a perfect game however, because it's definately not. I still dont think it's better than Civ4... yet.

But, after playing a few complete games.. and learning the mechanics alittle better.. i can start to understand the reasoning behind some of the changes and its not really all that bad, some of them are even really good. Im quite surprised how much i've grown to like some of them now compared to my initial reaction.

That said, the game DOES need some balancing and fleshing out. And the UI needs some serious work as well to make it less combersome and provide some missing info. I wont list any specific greivances here.. because im sure they've been said a thousand times around here. Especially when it comes to the AI.

So whats my point with this post? None really. Just saying that while i did gripe around here the first few days.. i HAVE found enjoyment with it. And to anyone else who spends more time in the forums moaning than in the game... just play it.

After a few games you might start to appreciate why they did some of the things they did. It took me two complete games to "get it".

Hopefully we'll see some expansions in the near future to add in some more gameplay elements.

Same here. It's not so much that I'm coming to accept the changes to gameplay, because I welcome change and I like the new style.

It's more that I'm starting to accept and live with all the bugs and imbalances for now in hopes that things will be better down the road with patches.

The game is truly awesome, in my opinion. Most people are just raising hell, not because it isn't Civ 4, but because it's a great game with so many stupid, careless bugs and imbalances. As if it was rushed-out to meet the release date.

This would be acceptable with games like Sims, Call of Duty, or any other silly mainstream game....

But...

THIS.... IS... CIIIIIV!!!

(looks for something to kick down a hole)

:lol:

To me, a new version of Civ that needs work and patches is still better than 99% of the games out there. And the more I play, the more I like it too. I think the social policy part of the game is awesome because it lets you change the abilities of your society every time you play.

Me too! I especially love civ5's so much improved modern warfare. I could use battleships, a carrier with bombers, a several paratroopers very effectively as if they were swordmen, archers, and catapults.

Cool, Gorey. Takes some cojones to admit that given the environment around here the last week or so.

Ironically, after playing an archipelago map, I am even more fed up with the lousy AI, so I guess the honeymoon is over. :) That game just got pointless very quickly... I ruled the seas with frigates and caravels, colonized a few neighboring islands, and have maybe 8 cities all doing well. Every AI civ had only TWO cities. Around 1300 AD, the Ottomans finally built a single trireme. I just sacked their capitals and ended the game out of frustration, so I could start another playthrough that would provide more of a challenge.

All that said, I still really like the game, I just wish there weren't so many issues with the AI.

Ditto!

The designers showed some serious guts by making this game, perhaps so much that they crashed in a hayfield with some of the maths and balancing.

Nevertheless, I like the combination of new concepts and the coming back to old concepts (dropped in civ 4) which make them game a different type of challenge, like maintenance.

That said, the game does feel like civ 3 in that a lot of things are wrong, annoying, not documented, etc. It's like the last 5% of the work that makes the whole difference. But the game is definitely rock solid, just needs some polishing.

Go forth, Firaxis, and don't let the whiners discourage you!!

Given expansions/patches/mods this game (currently a solid game) has the potential to be completely amazing. Easy to dwell on the deficiencies while browsing the forums, but when I go back to playing all that goes away (except the AI...ugh).

I agree modern warfare and combined arms are much more fun/less tedious to use. However I also agree with Superjay. In fact the AI is so horrible in the water that I wouldn't recommend playing on an archipelago map at all.

In fact the AI is so horrible in the water that I wouldn't recommend playing on an archipelago map at all.

Right, exactly. I started one up because I wanted to explore the naval units, Commerce policy tree, etc... but found that there was no point in playing very far. When you get to a point where you can eliminate all your opponents at will - and you know there's no way they'll challenge you for the rest of that playthrough - there's little reason to continue.

However, I don't want to detract from the OP or derail the thread into complaining. I still like the game, but I won't be playing another archipelago map until we see some AI fixes.

I, too, am looking forward to the major patches and see what direction they go in. Since they got the casual gamers, how about some bones for civ vets?

I think one of the things that have always bugged me was the compulsive attitude of some gamers. Not only do they demand the game right this second but they play through many games very quickly, getting burned out or frustrated or angry or whatever. How about slowing down, taking your time and not play so often? You got 5 years to go before the next game.

Finally many are "seeing the light" about this game. I actually liked it from the first time I played but definately didn't fully comprehend all of the complexities until several experimental games. This game is NOT dumbed down and in many ways is more complex than Civ 4. And just for some background yes I too am a long time Civ player not a "noob" and my favorite version was RoM2 modpack which for those that play mods know that this means I really appreciate complexity. I'm an MIT educated engineer so yes I can understand/handle complexity;) (hate to have to say this but am tired of those that don't like the game throwing the term "dumbed down" around and insinuating those that dont think so just arent that smart)

Here are ways I think this is more complex than Civ 4 (if you haven't played long enough to see why then keep playing)

1) Combat (once AI is improved this should become brilliantly complex compared to the SoDs and I expect some truly EPIC battles)

2) Diplomacy (YES after serveral games I finally understand how the subtleties of isolating and nurturing relationships work, although some civs just have "tendencies" that are hard to counter)

3) City-State (After a few games I really came to appreciate the MANY ways you can use these guys and the extra dimension it adds to the game)

4) Building/Road costs. Those that claim the dumbing down of certain economic aspects don't really mention the extra complexity of worrying about trashing your economy by buying marginal buildings or developing that road network

5) Resouce limitations for strategic units/buildings. This doesn't always factor in but when you are low on one it can add yet another twist to planning

6) Social policies - No more can you just flip back and forth arbitrarily. Now you need to balance the advantage of here/now when choosing them and maybe were you'd like to be near end-game. This also adds a huge extra improtance to culture that was not in previous civs

7) City expansion - Much more complicated on when you waste valuable money buying up plots. Also, I really like how it expands in very sensical ways (e.g., land on one side of a river tends to pop first)

I also like the new interface except in a few spots where it doesnt allow you to get the information you need to make the decision (most prominetly in the diplomacy screen when you are forced to answer pact of secrecy / war declarations without researching a bit if its a good idea).

NOW, there are some additional complexities that I am certain will be added to the game as expansions since the foundations are already there (not to mention the mods which will increase complexity along all dimensions)

I can't wait until the improved mechanics of espionage are added, or further uses of food resouces are added, etc.

I only wish the wait between turns was shorter :crazyeye:

I'm not sure that that's a problem with the game. I never have more than about 3 seconds wait. What kind of rig are you playing on?

I can't stop playing it now. I only wish the wait between turns was shorter :crazyeye:

I wont say its a perfect game however, because it's definately not. I still dont think it's better than Civ4... yet.

But, after playing a few complete games.. and learning the mechanics alittle better.. i can start to understand the reasoning behind some of the changes and its not really all that bad, some of them are even really good. Im quite surprised how much i've grown to like some of them now compared to my initial reaction.

That said, the game DOES need some balancing and fleshing out. And the UI needs some serious work as well to make it less combersome and provide some missing info. I wont list any specific greivances here.. because im sure they've been said a thousand times around here. Especially when it comes to the AI.

So whats my point with this post? None really. Just saying that while i did gripe around here the first few days.. i HAVE found enjoyment with it. And to anyone else who spends more time in the forums moaning than in the game... just play it.

After a few games you might start to appreciate why they did some of the things they did. It took me two complete games to "get it".

Hopefully we'll see some expansions in the near future to add in some more gameplay elements.

Tbh the long waiting time between turns, even in early game , is annoying me . My PC is well above recommended requirements (apart from RAM where i lack 2Gb , still stuck with XP >>) and i don't even play with all settings on max .
And the only reason Civ V is slightly growing on me are mods. But with the lack of MP with mods i'll lose interest pretty quickly again (i like to play with friends )

I had a thought today. Imagine Civ5 with 2 expansions and all the bugs patched out/balanced.

It will be so good.

I'm not sure that that's a problem with the game. I never have more than about 3 seconds wait. What kind of rig are you playing on?

I'm surprised to hear that too - I'm playing on an awful machine that's six years old, and I only have about 3-5 seconds between turns. Maybe having such a lousy PC (which forces me to play with graphics settings on Low) actually has a silver lining. :lol:

I'm surprised to hear that too - I'm playing on an awful machine that's six years old, and I only have about 3-5 seconds between turns. Maybe having such a lousy PC (which forces me to play with graphics settings on Low) actually has a silver lining. :lol:

Well if it's of any consolation, I've got a core i7 920 @4.4Ghz, 6GB of DDR3 1600 ram @ 2100, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB drive, windows 2008 r2 x64 enterprise, (running it like it was windows 7 with aero, very stable OS btw) and even I get slightly annoyed at the approximately 5 second wait time between turn mid to late game. I have to say though, it does use all 4 cores fairly well. I'm actually going to enable hyper-threading for a game for the first time in years to see if it might have a positive impact on performance (99.999% of games do worse with HT on as most games can't even utilize 4 cores @ 4.4ghz....)

Back on topic though, I'm with the OP. They really have their work cut out for them in terms of things that need to be fixed. I reallllllllly think the UI needs to be fixed, I'm tired of clicking on 20 popups per turn. I want to either have a way to turn of notification popups or have them auto disappear after 10 seconds and just show up in a log somewhere. I should only have popups for things that require action and I should be able to hit a button to bring that action to the foreground and have me take the needed action..... If that makes any sense.

You dont have to click on all of them.

Just hit end turn and they go away. Some of them need attention though. Just use the end turn button text as your guide. If it says something you dont care about just right click the button and the corresponding event notification icon goes away. keep doing that till it says end turn and left click to end the turn. Any remaining notifications go away.

For the combat alone, I love it.

I really, really didn't like war in previous Civs. I did it because it was a necessary evil. But combat now is FUN. Had a real siege battle with Persia last night. I'd been peacefully expanding ... sure, I also dropped a city in a great spot right along Persia's capital ... then maybe I'd blown my bank buying up the tiles around it, cutting off their capital from the rest of their cities ... but, sue me. Instead, he went to war with me. And brought Napoleon along for the fight. And three city states. I hunkered down and went into siege mode, whittling down Perseopolis until my first Legion units were made, then took him out. Defended.

Just hope the peace I stuck didn't trigger the constant peace bug.

Top Bottom