1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't get all those rants

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Zhao10, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Zhao10

Zhao10 Chieftain

Hello i'm new on the forum, i've noticed all those "dumbed down" threads and i've thougt is evereyone mad? i mean when they released civ III and IV they sucked hard with archers killing tanks (IV) and AI spawning ghost armies where needed (III) ecc..
    to be honest i started enjoy civ IV only after bts and extensive modding on it, and the same with civ III. Now it seems like people forgot how "dumbed down" every vanilla civ is when it comes out: now civ v miss some interface tweaks, some ai optimization and all the things they usually add with expansion packs and mods (like they did with previous civs) don't get me wrong i'd prefer having a perfect civ from the day one too, but i think such a complex game (wich has been reworked from 0 in his last reincarnation) needs time to get refined. For now civ V to me has the exact value civ IV had in 2006 : a very good game (like 7.5/10) that will grow up as usual to a state of art like civ IV is now.
    P.S. sorry if the english sucks

2. krzysp

krzysp Eudaimonia junky

It's normal for a release. The "vocal minority" is always the most active during launch date :) Soon, all that is left are people willing to play Civ5, try new mods, make new mods and discuss different strategies and ideas for... new mods :)

As a long fan of MMO games, I am used to that. It's how nature works :smoke:

3. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

People are afraid of change, this is what happens after every expansion/sequel for every game, time will tell if the critics are justified or not.

4. Zhao10

Zhao10 Chieftain

for the little i've played i think this civ is the one in best shape at relase day, plus i bet if developers didn't do any change and bring to us civ IV with 2010 graphics, the same people who are ranting about changes would rant about the non-changes :mischief:

5. Veshta

Veshta Chieftain

Screaming, shouting and ranting about the failings of a new release is a way to ensure that the first patch (which always comes hot on the heels of release) is as good/inclusive as it can be. The vocal minority is in reality serving the interests of the majority!

6. Eshnunna

Eshnunna Chieftain

7. poncratias

poncratias Chieftain

@All those people telling us we shouldn't compare "CiV" with "Civ IV BTS" but with "Civ IV Vanilla":

This is illogic.

Civ V should continue where Civ IV BTS left off, not vanilla IV.

It's not like all those great advances BTS brought is just to be forgotten and only the original game counts.

8. bernlin2000

bernlin2000 Chieftain

:agree:
    And it's not fair to brush everything aside: there's problems with the game that need to be fixed ASAP, and it shouldn't have to be the modders that do it: the people that got paid to make them game should :). +1 empire happiness to ranters (even if you hate empire happiness)!

9. ...behind you!

...behind you! Chieftain

It happens on every gameforum. It's about change and inflated expectations. Read some of the threads from before gamerelease and you'll see anxious comments about features that aren't even there or hallelujah threads about a game that only exist in the mind of the commenter. The first few weeks are just a reality check. Some criticism is down to reading comprehension and the lack thereof, some of it mind-melting anticipation and some of it is justified.

Just wait for the dust to settle down. Patches will be made, expansions announced and mods will be created. Before you know it, Civ 6 will be the worst game ever and will never be able to stand up to Civ V.

Rinse and repeat...