I don't like foam soap. DO YOU?! (And another soap-related question.)

What kinds of soap do you prefer to use?

• Total voters

LucyDuke

staring at the clock
What are your favorite kinds of soap? What do you use soap for? What's the most unusual use you know for soap? How often do you buy soap? How often do you use soap? Do you like smelly soap for some things? What things do you like smelly soap for? What is your favorite smell for smelly soap? Do you like soap-scented soap? How often do you wash your hands? How long do you wash your hands for? How many different kinds of soap are in your house right now? Do you ever carry hand sanitizer? Have you ever carved bar soap? Do you use antibacterial soap? Do you approve of antibacterial soap? When liquid soap is running low, do you add water to get it out of the container or just throw it away? Are there any kinds of soap you are unfamiliar with? Do you have any cool soap dispensers? What's the coolest soap dispenser you've ever seen? Have you ever made soap? If you had to make soap, what kind would you make? Do you ever drop soap in the shower? What's the coolest novelty bar soap you've ever seen? Do you buy expensive soap or cheap soap? What do you think about dyes in soap? Do you use weird soap for anything? Do you know any secrets about soap? Do you think bar soap is icky? What do you think about foam soap? If you could only have one soap for the rest of your life, what soap would it be? Is there anything soap-related that I forgot to ask? Do you have anything else to say about soap? :cowboy:

PLEASE DON'T SPAM THE THREAD WITH NON-RESPONSIVE POSTS.

Chicks dig my natural man-aroma.

Uhm. Soap is.....soap.
Agreed.

That said, I'm a hand sanitizer lover. Almost every time I leave the house, I get some. I am a germ freak, you know.

I prefer bar soap in the shower, but liquid soap for washing my hands. I think my favorite liquid soap is the Kroger brand honey and shea butter kind. I hate the lemongrass scented kind my mom sometimes gets.

For dish soap my mom tends to get the kind that is supposed to be easier on the hands, but I think it is actually harder on my hands than the tougher kinds.

I don't like antibacterial soap. One of my professors last year often went on and on about how triclosan in hand soap does nothing to make us healthier but causes bacteria to gain immunities to a wide array of antibiotics and disinfectants used in hospitals. It also makes it harder to operate waste treatment plants that rely on microbes.

I used to like the foaming soap, but it is hard to find that without triclosan. That same professor also pointed out that soap that is already foam greatly discourages the sort of scrubbing that actually gets you clean. Just putting soap on and then rinsing it off does almost nothing.

Bar soap is annoying, and leaves my skin with a weird residue.

I just use liquid soap, don't really care much beyond that.

I dislike foam soap myself. I prefer liquid soap for washing my hands, bar soap for if I'm showering and there's no body wash.

I wash my hands regularly so my choice of soap is important.

I like going with the females of my family since they all carry hand sanitiser.

Coolest novelty soap would be the stuff in the Grand Canyon - it has no core. This is because the inside never gets used, so they eliminate it entirely.

MagisterCultuum said:
It also makes it harder to operate waste treatment plants that rely on microbes.
I did not know that, but it makes perfect sense.

Never been a fan of antibacterials either. That 0.01% will be the one that kills you.

I don't like antibacterial soap. One of my professors last year often went on and on about how triclosan in hand soap does nothing to make us healthier but causes bacteria to gain immunities to a wide array of antibiotics and disinfectants used in hospitals. It also makes it harder to operate waste treatment plants that rely on microbes.

I used to like the foaming soap, but it is hard to find that without triclosan. That same professor also pointed out that soap that is already foam greatly discourages the sort of scrubbing that actually gets you clean. Just putting soap on and then rinsing it off does almost nothing.

Those are both awesome observations! I will remember them in my crusades against foam soap and antibacterial soap. I thank your professor. :goodjob:

Bar soap is annoying, and leaves my skin with a weird residue.

I feel the opposite! I don't like liquid hand soap because it never feels like I've rinsed it all off. Bar soap usually leaves my hands feeling super clean!

Oh, my god, I hate bar soap, especially in the shower. I never feel clean after I use bars. I use a loofah for cleaning my body anyways, so I have to use liquid soap for that.

I feel the opposite! I don't like liquid hand soap because it never feels like I've rinsed it all off. Bar soap usually leaves my hands feeling super clean!

Maybe it's just the brand that I use, by after I finish using the bar soap in my house, my hands are always sticky, I hate it :ack:

Oh, my god, I hate bar soap, especially in the shower. I never feel clean after I use bars. I use a loofah for cleaning my body anyways, so I have to use liquid soap for that.

Bar soap works with loofahs just fine!

I did not know that, but it makes perfect sense.

At the concentrations present in the wastewater treatment facilities themselves the triclosan does not really make much of a difference. However, most of these facilities rely on encouraging the growth of microbes washed down with the wastewater rather than raising special cultures of their own. This is much cheaper, and the naturally occurring heterocultures are more efficient than any monoculture anyway. Antibacterial hand soaps do not kill off all of the useful bacteria but they certainly encourage a mixture that is less suited for the job. Bacteria that grow in tightly packed colonies, especially long fibrous ones, form buffers that isolate the bulk of the microbes from disinfectants and help them survive better; the buffers also reduce their access to things we want them to consume. In very small amounts the structure they provide to microbial masses can be beneficial, but they tend to grow too large and choke off the more useful microbes that grow in looser clumps. Treatment plants require much more expensive mixing and filtration methods in order to combat this. Sometimes they have to shut at least portions of the plant down temporarily to clean out the bad cultures and hope better ones grow to replace them. Having more resistant bacteria in the influent also means that the bacteria of the effluent are likely to be more resistant and greater measures must be taken to disinfect the water once it has left the biological stages of treatment.

I'll use any kind of soap for washing my hands, though I am most used to the good old old bar of soap (which I also use for showering). Liquid laundry soap is much better than the powder.

I don't see any point in adding antibacterial agents to soap when soap is already antibacterial!

I like to use bar soap for my hands because I hate that greasy feeling most liquid hand soaps leave behind. I mainly use liquid soap in the shower.

Liquid soap (from a dispenser) for face and hand. Bar soap for body. Powder for laundry.

I can use bar soap for face and hand as well, I just prefer liquid. I cannot stand liquid soap for body.

I prefer bar soap, use it for hands and body, I practically never wash my face with soap. I do have liquid soap too for swimming hall visits, since it is more practical to carry with you.

I have dropped the soap in shower, BUT ONE TIME DOESN'T MAKE YOU GAY!!

I use almost exclusively Palmolive whose scent I like. In July I lived for a couple of weeks in another town, and bought Rexona soap since there wasn't Palmolive in the shop (and I didn't want to use the girly soaps of the peeps whose place I lived at). The soap's smelled just awful. Or perhaps not awful per se, but I didn't like at all to notice that it smells. The Palmolive smell I kind of think as my own. The soap also felt icky.

I wash my hands every now and then with soap, but for most part I like not to be hysteric about it. As a general rule, I wash hands with soap after taking a dump, but not after taking a leak. The usual soap thing is that I just take the soap in my hands, wet it, put it away, apply the soap that stuck in hands and then wash it away.

Sometimes when hands are notably dirty, like after placing the chains of bicycle, I wah them more thoroughly. The same thing goes when I have particularly dirty feel, like after opening the water lock of bathroom.

I add water to the bottle when nothing comes out anymore.

I think the most unusual thing I've done with soap is to make it small cardboard-ship fuel when I was kid. I think the idea was that the soap reacts with the water and moves the ship.

EDIT: I have also used the dish washing liquid as soap to wash my hands sometimes.

Top Bottom