I don't see why a civ would break a research agreement

Well I think we're assuming that you're making this agreement with civilizations that you have good relations with. I would imagine enemies would try to drain your treasure in this fashion, but that's quite a dick move for an "ally" to do. So I guess we just have to assume they're all out to get us :lol:

Indeed,

Why would they do it,

Cost you gold
Cost you a free tech you paid your gold to get
Pretend to be your friend, make you unawares to the attack to come, (a very human thing to do)

Basically what my brother says, it doesn't matter if it costs them to do it, the idea behind it is to make you pay, hurting themselfs to spite you. Its very human and thats what we want the AI to be like.

I think you guys are are attributing *way* more intelligence and agency to the AI than it is likely to have. It requires a level of forward-planning strategy and logical induction that AIs are really bad at.

It is extremely unlike that they've made an AI that is deliberately going to enter into a research agreement just to cost you gold.

My guess is that the AI will never enter a research agreement unless it intends to complete it, but that in some cases its possible circumstances might change after it is signed such that it wants to declare war on you, or take a city state "stop trading with X" quest, and thus cancel the agreement.

Well, in Deity, research agreements are very "funny".

Me and my "partner" have put on the table 167 gold each for a 25 turns research agreement. Very well.

After 25 turns, the "Trapping" technology popped up for me. What? Are you kidding, right? I could have researched this piece of junk in only *two* turns!

I haven't researched it earlier because there wasn't anything around to be hunted with these bloody traps. And still there isn't - at least inside my civ's borders. Thanks, Civ5.

After 25 turns, the "Trapping" technology popped up for me. What? Are you kidding, right? I could have researched this piece of junk in only *two* turns!

Your own mistake. I always try to research all cheap techs and open a couple of expensive ones till the RA end.

Your own mistake. I always try to research all cheap techs and open a couple of expensive ones till the RA end.

I disagree. That's a game design flaw. If I didn't researched it already, it was because I wasn't interested in it in the first place. In fact, "Trapping" was plain useless for me. The game just didn't get it.

And the cheapness of the tech wasn't an excuse for me to research it either - the idea of wasting time and resources on pieces of useless junk, just because they're cheap, doesn't seem to be very reasonable.

I disagree. That's a game design flaw. If I didn't researched it already, it was because I wasn't interested in it in the first place. In fact, "Trapping" was plain useless for me. The game just didn't get it.

There are no useless techs. Even without appropriate resources, Trapping gives trading post and leads to Civil Service. So you'd need it anyway.

I see no design flaw in the need to balance your research with additional factors.

There are no useless techs. Even without appropriate resources, Trapping gives trading post and leads to Civil Service. So you'd need it anyway.

I see no design flaw in the need to balance your research with additional factors.

Oh. Now I understand it. Well, it was just something very unexpected for me in the heat of the game, when my focus was far away from this tech. I was expecting a high-end tech, instead of a low-end one.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Top Bottom