1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

I don't think patch goes far enough on climate change

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Stringer1313, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I finally saw the patch livestream to look more carefully at the additional costs of advanced climate change. I agreed these effects needed to be more severe b/c in my games, so long as i didn't have coastal tiles in danger of submerging, i totally didn't care about climate change. (The increase in chances of storms etc was way too miniscule for me to notice).

But the only additional effects they added are that storms strip away previous added fertility benefits. (I didn't even know fertility benefits from storms/floods were permanent!). That just strips away what was already a windfall. It still doesn't seem enough to make me care about climate change when I don't have any coastal tiles in danger.

I think they should take a page from older civs' playbook and allow advanced climate change to change some terrain or reduce tile yields even below what the default was. Given such severity, they could slow down climate change just a tad more.

I'd also like to see World Congress automatically entertain climate change proposals before the world is about to hit Stage X of climate change, to add some urgency.

TheGrumpyBuddha likes this.
  2. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

They did look into that, however, they stated that the Civ6 engine can’t handle flipping tiles from one terrain to another.

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Everything turning into desert was dumb, we discussed this in the other thread. The Earth was once much warmer during the ages of dinosaurs, and it wasn't all desert...

I feel unit contribution should actually be lowered to 25% instead of 50%. I still feel like global warming will happen to fast, but we'll find out soon enough now the patch is out.

4. Haggbart

Haggbart King

See, the problem is since it's a global effect and a competitive game, I don't really care about global warming as long as it doesn't affect my comparative advantage towards victory. And usually the human player is much better at planning ahead than the AI player, so the more severe the effects, the more it's actually in the human player's interest to cause as much global warming as possible. And I don't see any amount of tweaking the system really changing that.

Duuk likes this.
  5. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Changing grasslands to plains would be a production boost. :p

6. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Instead of changing tiles, maybe they can have storms cause tiles to lose fertility beyond base level for X turns (or permanently)

7. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

Second time I've had to say this: No they didn't say that. Not changing terrain types was a CHOICE they made, because so much of the city planning in the game relies on the terrain. They didn't want to inconvenience players by for example destroying tile improvements because they are no longer on the correct terrain type. This line of thinking is bad though - climate change is SUPPOSED to be an inconvenience, after all. The more incentive to fight it, the better.